PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard re-evaluating Magtheridon

practice
01-22-2008, 11:28 PM
From the WoW Forums:

Just a quick update:

I wanted to let the raiding community know that we're going to be re-evaluating Magtheridon over the next few weeks. We had expected progress on this boss to go quicker than it has been. Our internal raid group has had success on this boss and we felt that it was tuned accurately. However, we're investigating the encounter to see why it's causing so many issues on live servers. While the encounter is supposed to be challenging, it's not supposed to be more difficult than the encounters in Serpentshrine. It is a low tier raid in Burning Crusade.

We're not going to do anything rash and make sweeping changes without testing them first. But we are keeping our eye on the progress being made in the encounter and considering making some minor tuning adjustments to bring the encounter in line with where it needs to be in the Burning Crusade's raid progression.

Worldie
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Without considering that i don't see how can people fail at maggy since now you can't screw up cubes anymore...

The reason for which noone does maggy is that it's a boring fight for crap loots except maybe a item or 2 and t4 chests. Why should someone even bother atm going there if you can in the while clear SSC or TK? :|
Actually i guess that since when it's not needed for TK anymore, most guilds just don't bother killing him.

Klimpen
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this was posted in Feb last year.

practice
01-23-2008, 01:06 AM
klimpen,

You suck.. LOL

....02/23/2007

I just saw the 23rd and thought, Hey, that's today... I hate working overnights.. *goes back to sleep at front desk*

Otapi
01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Haha! I was thinking 'crikey, well what else could they do?'.

'In a forthcoming hotfix to Magtheridon's Lair. All non epic dropping, non boss monsters in the areas prior to the main chamber will now be replaced with mailboxes. Players will now be able to access and send mail more easily on their way to this challenging encounter!

After much testing and listening to the raiding community, we have come to the decision to replace the five channelers with cows. The cows will be yellow flagged and non aggressive. Players can kill these, as they would any critter should they prove an incumberence to the encounter.

In a significant change to the instance, only one 'cube' need now be clicked to banish Magtheridon and we have also relaxed the timing needed for this to work successfully. The box no longer needs to be clicked during the actual cast but can be done 'whenever'. Failing to banish Magtheridon successfully will no longer see you raid taking such large resultant damage. Instead, squirels will appear from air vents along the walls and procede to repeatedly emote huggles on your raid members, making chat slightly more difficult to read.

We are sure that these changes will bring Magtheridon's difficulty into line with the level that he was originally intended and that many more players will now be able to enjoy this thrilling encounter'.

Worldie
01-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Indeed lol.

Well actually they did nerf him :)

Arlana
01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
otapi, that posty made my day.

Radhja
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
So, what changes are being made to Mag in 2.4 to "reduce the complexity"? I downed Mag for the first time last week (no drops, sadly), and it didn't seem so complex to me.

Maybe they're marking the collapse areas more clearly. I remember getting one-shotted by falling debris on the last 10% of the fight... hit for ~20k.

...how in the hell does a piece of falling rock deal more damage than one of the most powerful Pitlords in existence?

Anyway... yeah.

Dansodai
03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
...how in the hell does a piece of falling rock deal more damage than one of the most powerful Pitlords in existence?

Anyway... yeah.

lol. exactly my thoughts.

Rak
03-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Someone on Elitistjerks posted the changes in one of the huge threads. I'm way too lazy to actually hunt down the individual post, but the changes that I saw were:

Mind Exhaustion only lasts for 35 seconds, so you no longer need two groups to rotate clicking.
Channelers can only have one infernal up at a time (I believe it was worded in such a way that each channeler can have one up, and no more).

Non-nerfs but huge changes included:
He now drops a non-unique 20 slot bag
He drops gold that equalled ~20-25g per person in the raid
He drops a bag of gems like Nefarian used to drop which had 2 epic BT gems and 3 blue gems
He (obviously) drops 3 tier tokens instead of 2
He drops 3 Badges of Justice

Nuberino
03-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Mags is definitely a loot pinata now. Good for guilds to gear up quick though... a night of HKM/Gruuls/Mags = 14 loots, and 8 badges for each raider.

Signu
03-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Mags is definitely a loot pinata now. Good for guilds to gear up quick though... a night of HKM/Gruuls/Mags = 14 loots, and 8 badges for each raider.

Agreed. We took them all out in 2 hours (our first Mag kill) and still had time for 2 bosses in ZA.

klor
03-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Unfortunately, Mag is a joke now. :( I'd go as far as saying Gruul was a harder fight than mag was. We downed him in a pug this weekend with ease. Like said above, only one group of clickers is needed, the channelers have a TON less health, they can only have one infernal up at a time (5 total on the field if no channelers are killed before they summon which is 1 per channeler), the blast wave ticks slower giving even more chance to click (or so it seemed). One thing however, he still does his cave in at 30%. I know some people in the forums on wow are saying he does not...trust me, he does. It wiped us on our first attempt.

Radhja
03-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Any notable differences on the Cave-ins? I heard they were changing something about that too, but don't know what it is.

/start rumor

klor
03-31-2008, 07:06 AM
You dont really notice cave ins as the tank...but I didnt notice anyone say anything about them in vent... maybe lowered the chance they exist or removed them all together...I dont know. I cant say 100% on either of those.