PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready to guild run 5-mans

Leytur
01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
I have a friends and family guild and my short term goal is being able to guild run 70 wings and heroics. As of right now only 3 of us have 70s. I'd say within 2 weeks we'll have another 70 and in about 6 another. So this is what I'm looking at 6 weeks from now:

My toons: Warrior Tank, Enh Shaman, Sh Priest
My fiance's: Holy Pr
Buddy 1: Feral Druid
Buddy 2: Prot Pally
Buddy 3: hunter

Is just having a hunter enough CC for SH and heroics? There are some other people in guild that aren't RL friends but they aren't CC classes either.

With those 5 people what would be the best setup if 1--I am tanking and 2--I'm dps'ing?

I'm thinking

Me--tank
Lovey--heal (obviously)
1--cat dps
2--go ret at 70? is that even an option? how sucky IS a retadin?
3--dps

While we're short CC we have several classes with much crunchiness i.e. OT capabilities.

Next setup

Bear--Tank
Lovey--heal
Me--DPS (on either toon. On my Sh Priest how feasible is MC as a CC option?)
Pally--dps
hunter--dps

Should the bear stay cat and have pally tank as prot? How gimpy is it to bring a prot warrior AND a prot tank?

Anyways if you wanna view the guild and see what we got to look for other options it is on Hellscream named Cave Bovum. I think once my pally buddy hits 70 his 70 mage friend may run with us which adds another CC option.

Shortypop
01-22-2008, 07:19 AM
CC would make 5 mans easier, but although you're not heavy on cc - you do have options - MC is very viable, if the player is good; the druid ot'ing is also possible.

I wouldn't be keen on a prot pally and prot warrior in the same 5 man, unless the warrior is hybrid and with decent dps gear.

No experience with ret pally's in 5 mans - so can't help you there.

Also remember druids' can also sleep at the pull, you have some fears and decent buffs.

You can make up for lacking in CC by innovative ideas and if you run a lot together you will find a system that works.

Hope this is the sort of thing you wanted.

Skips
01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
probably best to have the druid OT/DPS as the need arises, the spec for both means that a quick switch of gear is all that is needed to change.

Leytur
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
So what to do with the pally then. . . i would rather toons already at 70 not have to respec since they have so much on spec gear already. Pally could go holy and priest shadow but nah.

So the pally is the problem. . . I think maybe I'll have him go ret and then let you guys know how it turns out. Haha.

The Druid is the weak link as far as skill goes though. So having the pally stay prot to tank when I switch to my shaman or priest would be better than having druid tank.

I told druid to prioritze his cat gear over his bear gear now. He's got 1 or 2 Assass pieces already which is a start. I had Swstats running when he tanked UB and I was on my shadow priest at 64. . . I out dps'ed him by a lot 6 levels under him. :O

Methadone
01-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Who has SWStats running in <70 non raid instances? Seriously...

Who cares if your druid bud is a crap player, he'll learn. How about you have some fun with your so called mates and stop fussing about setups/dps/cc/specs/gear.

Ofcourse you could do an instance with a prot paladin, a prot warrior and a feral druid. Stuff would take ages to kill but at least they are playing specs THEY want to play rather than what YOU want them to play.

mattdeeze
01-27-2008, 09:01 AM
It will be awhile after hitting 70 before you will be anywhere near ready to run heroics, so don't rush into those yet. Just getting honored can get you in, but in order to be coordinated and geared enough, you will have to run lots of regs first. Yes, MC is an extremely viable form of CC. It essentially takes 2 mobs out of the action for the duration of the fight. One thing to be careful of is the agro range of the MC'd mob usually seems to be very large, so for the initial pull it can be dangerous (cant confirm this myself as i dont have a shadow priest but it seems that way). Also a good trapping hunter is golden. Just be sure to let his trap cool down so he can get a cooldown overlap before the pull. It seems you have lots of tanking options also which can be very nice, there seems to be a shortage of tanks in the game, so don't underestimate the luxury of having a high ratio of tanks in your guild. I would never in my life reccomend that a prot paly go ret. Prot palys are particularly rare and should be cherished. I probably have 20+ palys in guild and not a single prot :( As someone else posted you will learn how to adapt to what you have and come up with some very innovative solutions. The fun is in the learning and growing. Don't agonize over the perfect makeup for a group and just try a few combos and see what works best for you. Matt

Kelthrak
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I would say that you could just have two tanks, you and the pally. Druid can go kitty dps, and as long as you're geared up, it shouldn't be too hard. Two good tanks and one form of cc can take a five-pull, no problem. healer'll have to be on top of things, but especially with a pally, you can make up some of the difference by having him heal himself.

Leytur
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Who has SWStats running in <70 non raid instances? Seriously...

Who cares if your druid bud is a crap player, he'll learn. How about you have some fun with your so called mates and stop fussing about setups/dps/cc/specs/gear.

Ofcourse you could do an instance with a prot paladin, a prot warrior and a feral druid. Stuff would take ages to kill but at least they are playing specs THEY want to play rather than what YOU want them to play.

RPM runnin a little high today meth? Take it easy there buddy. Wow forums are ---> thanks for registering.

Leytur
01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks matt and kelth. :)