PDA

View Full Version : quirky idea.

fastidius
01-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I was just playing around with some math and was wondering if anyone had pondered if it was possible to be a good tank with dual wielding.

It's just a pipe dream i just thought id throw out the idea of a Hybrid spec.

I figure with King's Defender and a Sun eater Dual Wielded you lose armour and can get streaky Misses however with Dual Mongoose enchants you should be running very High Agility. Is the avoidance Tank with 2 swords and actual possibility?

a spec like

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500000000000000000000005553005505010 00001000050510133020100000000)

Anyone have any ideas/theories on this sort of a thing. I figure Uncrittable with 2 Def Weapons would be easy to get without gemming, to hit of somewhere around 150+ should be very doable with Kara + gear.....

how much of a factor is 4-5K of amour if you can get down TC & Demo with no rage issues and high avoidance....

Obviously i haven't played with this sort of a spec yet just wondering if im talking crazyness or if the Fury Tank is a possibility, obviously the spec is designed around Defensive Stance and high threat generation with the view of tanking 2 mobs at a time.

Does this idea have any potential?

Otapi
01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I think dropping 5K armour and taking crushing blows is completely viable *WINK*

Or are we purely talking about certain trash clears?

Kanwedar
01-21-2008, 07:04 AM
What do you plan on using for damage/threat? Sunder? You have none of the 31 point talents in this build. Imp WW leads me to believe that you have intentions of being in zerker stance for some of the time, which is just not worth it.
DW tanking works well for tanking 5-mans and some of the caster based trash in Kara, but fury works better for that so I would never spec into this.

fastidius
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I was thinking more as a Supporting tank than MT role...mainly as trash clearer etc but it's probably not viable after rethinking about it.

Mordigen
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
The loss of a shield is more than just the loss of 5k armor, it is the loss of block altogether which would open up crushes a lot more to the table, and make your avoidance your only backing. With more white damage and rage, you should be okay for threat, but taking higher damage with increased number of crushing blows justs limits this to well overgeared instances in my opinion.

byechee
01-23-2008, 10:13 AM
depending on what trash mobs you're fighting you can definitely do it without a shield. one of our fury wars does it every week in hyjal. he grabs a couple ghouls per pack which helps lighten the load on me and our bear. i can't see your talent spec since I'm at work but hopefully you're not speccing into prot more than TM for this, as everything else is a waste of talent points. It won't make you a better tank and will really put a damper on your dps. also if you DW tank you definitely want a hard hitting main hand to maximize your HS/BT/MS.

as for dual wield tanking bosses (a once laughable concept) there's a pretty great thread on the EJ forums about stacking 102.4% pure avoidance, which with raid buffs is close to a possibility (last I checked they had itemized a gear set out to a bit over 100%). of course, all this takes mostly end game gear + 10 agi gems, so it's all a bit of a pipedream... for now.

Timetheos
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
(Both of these assume it's non-crushing content)
-If you have sufficient avoidance, it's doable because can afford to lose the blocking.
-If you have sufficient EH, it's doable because you can afford to lose the AC.

What you'd lose with your shield is a lot of armor, and some pretty heavy semi-avoidance in the form of blocking. So.. if the mob hits hard enough that you can sacrifice the mitigation (if that makes sense), but soft enough that the armor loss won't kill you, sure. However, there really isn't very much point in doing this. SS covers both threat and damage, which is probably all you'd get out of DWing anyway.

If it's crushing content, then it's unthinkable, unless you've hit that magical place where avoidance >= 102.4% and nothing can touch you.

hbombs
01-23-2008, 10:46 AM
You guys all know the lynx boss in ZA does not crush right? I think this spec and DW would be awesome for him. Someone give it a go and report back! :)

byechee
01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
but it's an attack mitigated by armor and that can be blocked. i really wouldn't recommend trying this on lynx unless your avoidance is ridiculously high.

mattdeeze
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I know that personally when im asked to tank regular instances i will drop my shield and duel wield to counter the rage starvation. but im almost fully prot spec and i really hate losing my shield bash and slam. but in progression content? Idk, sounds kinda dicey. I think with that spec and not tanking a first kill he would be better off throwing on a shield popping defenceve stance and stacking up some agro on his mark.

Taelas
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
If we're talking pure avoidance, you wouldn't need 102.4%. You'd need 101.8%. You won't lose the additional 0.6% from block. (Druids only need 101.2%, as they can't parry or block.)

Timetheos
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Of course, thank you. It's obviously not something I've considered too seriously lol, but it'll always be the dream.