PDA

View Full Version : appropriate gear for tidewalker?

dougmasters
01-20-2008, 01:09 AM
My guild is somewhat stuck at tidewalker, and I am wondering what gear I should equip for the fight. Just a little background... our healers seem to do well keeping me up on our attempts, the problem has been our dpsers getting smoked, our current best is 6%. I have been running my max stam/armor setup, should I try for higher avoidance on this particular fight? Also is there a post around here for suggestions as to what setup to use on specific fights?

To clarify, I read how avoidance was important on this fight. I suppose my real question is how much stam/armor to sacrifice for avoidance? Is there a general benchmark of avoidance to have, or on the flipside, a point that I shouldnt drop below so far as stam?

Methadone
01-20-2008, 01:20 AM
I think I had 21k buffed, 17kish armour for Morogrim. He hits incredibely hard and can parry gib you when he turns to the raid to tomb people and melee get parries. The debuff you get is a killer for threat as well.

Theres no reason why any non aoe'er should ever be in danger of dying. The EQ and tomb damage are both extrememly static, guaranteed forms for damage for the raid healers so they can be prepared for it. If people die from a tomb > EQ, they need to sit out of EQ range until they can take the damage (3k i think). Hybrid dps can heal themselves up if you're struggling as well.

Its hard to keep AOE's up, might take a few wipes to co-ordinate frost novas, hunter traps etc.

Vimy
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Honestly

Max out stam as much as possible. EXPERTISE is huge here, a parry / big hit combo can waste you. Make sure you have Frost Resist for the tidal wave and an imp in your group. Careful use of healthstones and pots during burst can help alot. Pop trinkets during earthquake can save you too.

Dpsers should have be smart with aggro and should have raid set ups to help them. Beyond salvation and tranquil air in dps groups all mages should frost nova, hunters should trap and aoers need to learn to survive. 3 shamans can heal your raid no issues. 3-4 healers on you. Shamans watching people graved. Have locks with imp in each group, even if destro. This is NOT a dps fight, its a survival fight as there are mulitple damage sources and boss hits hard. Simple simple. Dps needs to use their heads.

No matter what your avoidance he hits hard. I would say in order of importance:

1) Expertise
2) Stamina (effective health)
3) Avoidance

Goodluck!

Taowlie
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I just tanked this fight no problem, our druid usually tanks it but he wasnt there tonight.

I put a few avoidance pieces on instead of stam, and I honestly think it doesn't really matter. I still got crushed, iirc I was running about 25 % dodge 19% parry 30% block, and I still got crushed 10 times. I think I sacrified about 500-1000 health and maybe 500 armor. Avoidance definitely helps, but expertise is amazing for parries. I ran with 20 expertise and I could really see the increase.

thoor
01-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I swap in a couple of avoidance pieces for this fight:

- [Faceguard of Determination] replaces [Warbringer Greathelm]
- [Warbringer Handguards] replaces [Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden]

i did some calculations and found that i was only losing between 5 and 7 stamina for each % of avoidance gain for the above items which i felt was worthwhile.

Funnily enough i also wear [Violet Badge] instead of [Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch]

Tanked him dead for the first time this last weekend on our second night of attempts. My survival wasn't an issue with any of the wipes/resets.

I considered swapping other avoidance items in as well but i decided that anything that resulted in more than 10 stamina loss for each avoidance % wasn't really worth it.

Cheers

Cairn
01-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I prefere Avoidance for this fight because rate speed attack is random.

Less crush and less hit , don't hit so hard ( 7 k crush ) .

My guild prefere a Druide for tanking , easiest way to healing and 2 wars to regroup the murlock ( with thunderclap ) .

dougmasters
01-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I wish we had a bear for it, but currently we dont.

So maybe starting with my EH set, then swapping for avoidance,so long as I dont exceed more than 10 stamina loss for each avoidance % ?

Clifford
01-21-2008, 01:11 AM
We attempted and killed him last night. We started off with a druid tank but switched to myself after a few attempts. I only switched a few pieces for the fight: Went with King's Defender instead of Blazefury and used the Moroes and Hydross trinkets.

As I recall my other items were:
- Engineering helm
- T4 shoulders
- BoJ cloak and legs
- Karazhan bracers, necklace and gloves
- ZA shield and boots
- Can't recall which rings I used though.

I had 16k health unbuffed and about 20k buffed as I recall.

I did notice a lot of spike damage but handled it by having 3 dedicated healers (2x paladins and 1x priest.) A couple of things that seemed to work for me:
- Alternated between the two trinkets all the time (they were always on cooldown)
- Drank healing potions whenever my health dropped too much (think I used 5 in the fight)
- Always had shield block up (when not on cool-down).
- Made sure that demoralising shout, thunderclap and commanding shout were up all the time.

Slightly off-topic:
Last point I would like to make - I started using CooldownTimers2 for shield block (think I read a post from Ciderhelm) and it has made tanking so much easier. I have it display a massive (covers by character) but semi-opaque icon as well as a pulsing cooldown bar. I really suggest this for warriors that want to simplify their desire to limit crushing blows.

Colon
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
My very first attempt on TW I went full stam gear and held him to about 3% so it's very viable. However, I always go with my avoidance set up instead just because of those rare times your healers get graved and you are left on your own. Moroes's pocketwatch is your best friend here. And if you have threat issues just have your hunters rotate using misdirects on you throughout the encounter. The encounter at first used to take us about 15 minutes, now reduced to 8, thanks to added threat from md's.

Andromedea
01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
My choice personally would be to put on all my Expertise, max hit and then swop in some avoidance items.

I actually suspect most parry insta-gibs seem to come from him turning away from the tank to grave someone and then parrying some rogue's/pet's attack, rather than parrying the tank's attacks but I'm not sure. Might as well reduce the chance anyway.

I found it helps to have spare warriors intervene the MT whenever cd is up to eat some of the hits.

Traydor
02-01-2008, 03:18 AM
We use a Pally tank for the murlocs in the missle by the tombs. Before he summons them a warlock Lifetaps and the pally lands BIG heals on him, for the agro. I tank this guy all the time and hold 1000 ish tps average. I use a slower weapon to compensate for the rage. Have the aoers dps with no fear of deaths. single shammy healing graved peeps and healing wherever else needed.

Foolishness
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
i tank him every week no problems unless my dedicated healers decided to start raid healing

15 000 HP unbuffed

32.5% dodge unbuffed 18.5% parry

Tao
02-01-2008, 07:31 AM
My very first attempt on TW I went full stam gear and held him to about 3% so it's very viable. However, I always go with my avoidance set up instead just because of those rare times your healers get graved and you are left on your own. Moroes's pocketwatch is your best friend here.

Same. I'm usually close to 30% Dodge for this fight.

Traydor
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I run at 19% dodge buffed XD

Keimorl
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Best gear for this fight.... Feral Druid... ez-mode for healers.

Raid Success > Main Tank Ego :)

Nicki
02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
youd be surprised how soft he hits when hes not landing continuous crushing sprees ^.^ 4.3k melee on full badge gear and s2 I took 1 crushing the first time i did it and 3 the second time (never have healers using lifebloom and PoM on the main tank when murlocs come -.-)..vs 6k6k6k on a druid ever so often :p

Now if there was only anotehr way to deal with murlocs oh wait there is xD...

Bigstik
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
It's been said, but I'll throw out my standpoint.

Because of his extremely fast swing speed, I normally go with a dodge suit (swapping in Eternium Greathelm w/ 8 Dodge x 3, Crimson Girdle of the Indomitable w/ 8 dodge and 8 defense, my 20 agility The Sun Eater, and Scarab of Displacement) to maximize the uptime of Shield Block.

That said, we have had guild kills of Morogrim with me in my EH gear, less only my Goblin Rocket Launcher for my Scarab of Displacement.

I pop the trinket when more than 2 of the healers get graved to prevent that mild case of death that seems to plague tanks in Morogrim.