PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sets?

Bodasafa
01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Ive been reading that alot of tanks are using add-on's to manage there differant tanking sets. And im a little confused here.

Im big on having 1 set of gear for tanking. I know im gonna get alot of crap for that but whatever. Or mabye you can inlighten me.

I pretty much have one set of gear for EH and 2 peices i swap out for more avoidance. I use the Boots of Elusion and Pocket watch in place of my Battlescar Boots and Stam trinket, when i need more avoidance. Wich basically means dodge cause its the one avoidance stat that you get a good return on. Id give you a armory link for me to view but the dam things busy or busted again, meh. If you really want to look at my current gear it shouldnt be hard theres only 2 ppl with my name and only 1 lvl 70.

Or as you progress are you guys just seeing more gear with high amounts of +dodge rating that your throwing in the mix for avoidance sets? Or are you just getting doubles of gear and socketing and enchanting them differnatly?

Im gunning for the full ZA set combined with Badge rewards wich will provide large amounts of Stam/Armor, SBV and a good base of expertise and hit rating. At that point wich is still pre-SSC/TK gear im not seeing much gear with high dodge worth swaping out for than the 2 peices i already have.

Theres gotta be more to it than im seeing because i cant belive you would be using a add-on to swap out 2 peices of gear.

thugthedum
01-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I have something like six active gearsets right now.

Tankpoints: this is the gear I have in bag that has the highest ratings as per the tankpoints mod. I'll wear this on the Prince for instance, as tankpoints could be summed up as "a reasonable marriage of health and avoidance theory". I'll wear this in any KZ or heroic boss fight when raiding with undergeared healers.

High EH Raiding: this is a gear set that is pegged around 16,000 health unbuffed. Then, I add whatever avoidance, hit and expertise I think makes a good balance for a general all around good tanking kit. This is my most common tank gear, though I often switch out a trinket for the auto-blocker.

Max EH: this is a gear set that gives me the highest EH possible. Since I don't have the Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden, Thatia's Self-Correcting Gauntlets are actually in this set since BV does such wonderful things to EH when you assume shield block. I'm considering using this on Gruul, but I dunno. I made this when I got an EH mod that actually showed me relative values like tankpoints does.

Raid threat: this is a gear set that assumes uncrittable, then stacks hit, crit, expertise, and block value to achieve as much threat as possible. Off goes the Panzar'thar Breastplate, on goes the Bulwark of Kings. I tend to wear this on trash as I've noticed our DPS'ers are a bit lazy about threat management on trash. Keeps the raid moving faster too.

Max Stam: this is my "around town" and logout gear - shows me at 16,647 or so health. I rarely actually raid in this.

No Shield DPS: fury gear for solo grinding and pvp.

Bodasafa
01-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Basically i could only see 3 sets.

1 EH set
1 Avoidance set
1 Crit/Threat set

And really ive been combining some crit thru agi into my EH set, for avoidance im keeping peices with high dodge.

I guess all of this is personal prefrence, but thank you for your response.

Anyone else want to weigh in here? Im seeing that it makes sense to have differant gear sets. But as tanking goes i would think that most of the peices would be the same thru all sets and your only swaping out a few for situational fights/trash. And the few peices you are swapping out, are they really giving that big of a differance, or are we talking about minor stuff?

Kelthrak
01-19-2008, 05:29 PM
There're plenty of different sets you can and should have. The three sets you mentioned are useful, and there's not much reason to mix them. All mixing stats does is make the one set less effective at what it's supposed to do.

Also, don't forget the resist set(s) for certain bosses, like Hydross. Not to mention the dps gear. On fights where threat doesn't matter, you need it. For example, Shade of Aran. DPS in tank gear, even with a high block value, and you're not going to do as much damage as you could.

Murdog
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I tank everything from Attumen all the way upto illidan and i use the exact same tank set for everythign in between ....... except for like 2-3 BT fights where i sub in 2-3 Dodge pieces.

Resists i have and use em for teh resist fight so no ZOMG you tank hydross and Flames in reg tank gear :)

I just tell my cl i have many different set or what ever lol ive showed that i can tank everythign with minimal to 0 wipes even on my first attempts on Boss's so keep doin what your doin :D cause i knwo i am.

Kanwedar
01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Murdog to spam trade for MC raids more imo :D

I have 6 sets right now, PvP and DPS are really non-issues for this thread though.

Max Threat. 26 expertise, little extra hit and my block value gear. Use this for trash and weaker bosses.

Max HP. Use this for fights where a large HP pool is necessary.

Avoidance. Everything I have with dodge/block/parry and extra defense. I like wearing this when I know my healers are going to be struggling to keep everyone alive.

"Boss." This is a blend of Avoidance and HP that I use as a template for each boss. Any given boss I'll switch out 1-3 pieces depending on what I feel I need extra of.

A lot of the gear overlaps, for example Tankatronic Goggles and Unwavering Legguards. But I do carry ~11 trinkets.

Worldie
01-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Every time i click my ItemRack i cry.

You warriors have this easier, i carry around so many sets, so many possible uses.

Most likely, a spelldamage (threat) set, a EH set, a avoidance set, a block value heavy set, and a balanced set for regular tanking. Then add all the rest.

As tank you don't really need more than one set. However, having specific gear sets make life easier on specific situations. You for example would want to tank a boss with threat resets with a threat-heavy set, while you would like to tank a tank-smashing boss like Azgalor by stacking as much avoidance and EH as possible.

Satrina
01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I have an entry in itemrack for every boss in our progression, a trash/threat set, and a "balanced" set for old content. The basic gear in each progression set is the same, but I tweak items around between kills and compare the results to get the best result for each boss. I have a 25 slots of gear in my bags right now.

Worldie
01-19-2008, 10:59 PM
25? you are lucky mate ><

Bodasafa
01-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Well im glad to see im not alone in my thinking Murdog.:)

Resist sets were kinda a given I thought. Mabye using a addon for them would be helpfull. But if im doing a resist boss fight I find I have plenty of time to put it on while the raid buffs are going up and the Strat is being laid out.

Guess in the end it really comes down to personal prefrence from what im reading. You can have one kick butt set and swap a few peices for situational fights or you can have 6 sets and tank the same.

Thanks for your input guys, it helped me to get a general view on things.

brain9h
01-21-2008, 07:02 AM
I have around 5 slots that I swap in and out according to the fight: Neck, back, wrist, trinkets and gun.

In the end its just a tweak, the bulk of my set remains EH-heavy.

Shortypop
01-21-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm a recent convert to itemrack. I carry all these sets around with me and they do overlap but atm I have:

- MTBoss - pretty much an EH set with some extra avoidance for good measure

- MTtrash - MTboss with extra avoidance swopped out and block value in

- Eagle - this is a block rating & block value set for multimob tanking the rear trolls for the eagle gauntlet - sporegar shield etc

- Lynx - I ot lynx and tank the spirit (no dps on spirit) - so this set is high on dodge and low on agro stats

- Tank - if I need to tank something below my gear level - dps trinkets, rings, high expertise and hit

- Hydross - our current argument :(

- Full dps set

I also have shadow and fire res sets, for heroic mana tombs, arcatraz and ramparts - but I don't carry those round with me. I like itemrack as it's easy to tell if I've picked up the right gear. I try keep my main backpack empty at the start of raids - 4 bags of gear, consumables and odds like mounts and hearthstones I hope will be enough :D

Atank
02-08-2008, 07:22 AM
You guys probably heard that when 2.4 comes out, Warlocks will be able to summon people INTO an instance.

What does this mean to carrying 4 x 20 slot bags of gear?

It means you can portal out right before a particular fight to get your "X" gear from the bank should you require and get summoned back immediately without having the raid break to summon you outside. This will most likely be most applicable to Resist fights, but still handy nevertheless.

Also great for leaving quickly to turn in your new Tier tokens for immediate upgrades :)

Atank -Emp&#237;re-
Dwarven Warrior
Detheroc

Satrina
02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
That way lies ninja-AFKs and unnecessary raid delays. Just say no.

Ceravantes
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
You guys probably heard that when 2.4 comes out, Warlocks will be able to summon people INTO an instance.

What does this mean to carrying 4 x 20 slot bags of gear?

It means you can portal out right before a particular fight to get your "X" gear from the bank should you require and get summoned back immediately without having the raid break to summon you outside. This will most likely be most applicable to Resist fights, but still handy nevertheless.

Also great for leaving quickly to turn in your new Tier tokens for immediate upgrades :)

Atank -Empíre-
Dwarven Warrior
Detheroc

That is a horrible idea, and is only asking for trouble.

Atank
02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess that just depends on wether the Raid Leader carries a Big enough Stick.

I'm confident enough to say that I do.

Atank -Emp&#237;re-
Dwarven Warrior
Detheroc