PDA

View Full Version : New to PVP Arena

Wellbred
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
So, I'm jumping into Arena PVP. Prot Tank in SSC/TK. Have a scattering of DPS pieces, all kinda mediocre - main 2H right now is Glaive of Pit from Mags.

I'm jumping into a 5v5 team with pretty low rating, just to score some points, would stay protection for those 5 games a week. But I am considering a 2v2 and/or 3v3 team for which I would respec 33/28 or 33/25/3. What do you PVPer favor for 2v2 and 3v3. I see a bit of discussion on warrior +druid/pally - are those most favored? What groupings are interesting for 3v3?

Any help is appreciated.

Ukyo
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
for 2v2 i'd say go either Warrior/Druid or Warrior/Shaman, and with a 33/28 spec you should be doing fine. In 3v3 though, gets tricky. I'm running a team with some guildmates and it goes something like this Warrior/ShadowP-Frost mage/Pally-Shaman. Though the 2 healers - 1 warrior combo does works sometimes, i think that the best combo i've played is Warrior/Frost Mage/Shaman (and our shaman has low res, is fun to watch him go down in 3 seconds xD) but we still managed to win some matches.

But, that's just my opinion xP

byechee
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
war+pally used to be strong/OP, but nowadays it's gotta be druid, with pally/shaman second.

for 3's, war+druid+lock is a good combo, otherwise war+double healer pretty much will guarantee you wins. i've seen some war+ret pally+shaman teams that can put out some sick burst as well.

i would recommend trying to do 3's instead of 2's because the 2's queue is severely broken right now (at least 10 minutes in BG9).

brain9h
01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
My 3x3 team is me (warrior MS) + ret pally + shaman healer.

We only ever die to teams with frost mages that exclusively sheep and counterspell. Same with druid.

Nightmare team for us: Soul link warlock, support frost mage, resto druid.

Easy kills: anything else.

byechee
01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
My 3x3 team is me (warrior MS) + ret pally + shaman healer.

We only ever die to teams with frost mages that exclusively sheep and counterspell. Same with druid.

Nightmare team for us: Soul link warlock, support frost mage, resto druid.

Easy kills: anything else.

rly? judge justice on the druid and kill it. pally dispels sheeps, nova. your healer should be able to keep you guys topped against that team, as BoF takes away their main burst from the shatter combo. tell your healer to fake heals as well.

Daikyu
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Regarding spec, both of the specs you mentioned are competitive and there isn't much difference between those two. I believe the conventional wisdom is that if you're the only damage dealer on your team, go for 33/28. Otherwise, 33/25/3 is probably better in terms of utility.

war+pally used to be strong/OP, but nowadays it's gotta be druid, with pally/shaman second.

In the current season (season 3), warrior/druid is by far the best 2's combination; warrior/shaman is a distant second and warrior/paladin is nearly not competitive.

In 3's, a wide variety of combinations involving warrior have a decent chance of doing well, though I believe warrior/shaman/paladin is the most competitive.

Fame
01-19-2008, 12:47 PM
3's is filled with MPR's and a War, Dru, Lock will outplay an MPR combo given the same skill level on both sides.

Seth
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I think mostly you are going to play to your skill level regardless of makeup. If you want to get gladiator (probably not your goal anytime soon), you'll have to play a top composition. That being said, just 2v2 with the best player you know that's willing to pvp with you and it'll work out. If you're a weird comp, it'll mess with the players that have to play a comp 2-3 times to get used to the strat. I'd just do 3s with my 2s partner and a 3rd that's largely based on what can work.

Like it's been said, if you do 2s with a druid, it'll help, but it also won't make you something you aren't if you are the druid isn't that good.

Ceravantes
01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I found with resilience at the current levels its at, speccing endless rage is a giant plus, and losing flurry is like losing almost nothing anyways. If you are not being attacked you will have barely enough rage to keep hamstring and ms up without ER. I also ran a build with last stand for 2s, it worked fairly well if your healer could time heals for when it faded, or you could coordinate clicking it off, you almost have to be sword spec to make up the damage lost.

Dots
01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
3's is filled with MPR's and a War, Dru, Lock will outplay an MPR combo given the same skill level on both sides.

Wait, what?

Kazeyonoma
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
i need either a better druid or better locks, cuz i've tried with 2 different locks now a druid/lock/war team and we lose more than we should =(

Irghen
01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm doing 2v2 and 3v3 with a druid and a lock, but which specs should we be trying out? We're halfway through our gladiator sets (druid is getting his healing set) so we're kind of undergeeared and making up with some leftover purples from heroics.

I'm farming mats for my Deep Thunder as I want to try Arms for arena instead of Prot (seriously, with my arms gear I shouldn't even be doing battlegrounds :S) even tho I'm having a blast doing it, as we seriously lack burst damage.

proplop
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I (Ms warrior) currently play 3v3 with a retri paladin and a Resto shaman. In my opinion it's a very good setup. The only setup we can't seem to beat is mage/rogue/priest combination.

The WF and extra burst a shaman provides is often enough to take out one of the opposing team members pretty fast :).

mattdeeze
01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
@ Dots.... I would have to guess he means Mage/Priest/Rogue

psychostomp
01-29-2008, 06:12 AM
ya mage priest rogue = F$*^& this

Everytime i face that combo i want to commence shooting my comp til slide lock.

Kazaganthi
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Druid should be resto, you should be ms, and the lock should be sl/sl. The idea is to have the lock mana drain and tank the dps. Your druid must keep an eye on his pet at all times. Many teams will start dps on the lock while their healer works the pet to about 50%. They then turn and insta kill the pet. If the lock's pet lives, usually the lock lives.

Kaz

Ukyo
01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
When my 3's is against a SL/SL lock, in the begining of the match i'll take out the pet, usually takes me 2 or 3 seconds. Then when the lock uses fel domination, i take him out again, that way the lock becomes a squishy and i can drill the healing with some sunders on the target. At least that works with my 3's, though our rating sucks XD

Dots
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
@ Dots.... I would have to guess he means Mage/Priest/Rogue

I know what RMP is, I was questioning the rest of his statement.
Though it did get easier now that AR/Prep is gone.