PDA

View Full Version : Making the jump into T6

maddfez
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
So, my guild just downed Kael last week...woo :D

I'm now working on the headache that is organizing our raids for the next few weeks and I was wondering how other guilds handled this situation. For background, we raid three nights a week for four hours a night. We can reasonably expect to one shot every boss but Vashj and Kael in T5 and have most of our raid in 2-3 piece T5.

Currently, we're planning on clearing both SSC and TK this week with hopefully 2-3 hours in Hyjal on our last raid night. For weeks going forward, we're thinking about alternating weeks to kill Kael and Vashj to help gear up our the more recent additions to our raiding core and to get them attuned. The remaining raid time (roughly two nights) would be spent on T6 content. After a month or so of this, we'd move to doing SSC or TK sparingly just to attune folks.

Does this sound similar to what your guild did when you made the jump? Are we being too aggressive or not aggressive enough?

Lastly, we're planning on going Winterchill, Antheron, Najentus, Surpremus, Akama, Kazrogal, Azgalor, and then Gorefiend for our initial push. Any suggestions on boss order?

byechee
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
attune your best players and have at least 30 (give or take) consistent raiders attuned before starting full time bt/hyjal. this shouldn't take more than 2 more kael kills.

if your players are good, gear from ssc/tk is helpful but not necessary. people will be more motivated to play their best (and show up) when trying to get t6 than running old instances. Get cleared vashj/kael instances from less progressed guilds if you can. a month of doing kael/vashj after getting attuned for bt/hyjal is way more than i'd personally like.

as for bosses, that's pretty much what we did, except we went for archimonde before gorefiend, but assuming you get non-idiots on constructs gorefiend is cake.

Jericho
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
It all depends on how many "raid nights" you have each week. My guild chose to defeat Kael a total of 3 times before we ventured into Hyjal. We made sure we got a Rage kill on the Monday of our second Kael kill so we could easily attune the entire raiding core to BT in what amounted to 2 days.

We have only returned to SSC/TK once since, and while you believe things will go smoothly, things often arise to thwart you. Vashj is a very finicky fight and as such gave us some issues and cost us time we had planned on using to clear TK. Kael is a fight while simple in theory can present some issues if Raid Awareness is not up. (read: if people are tired they are more apt to make mistakes and cost you an easy kill.)

My suggestion is to get your 30-35 people attuned and move on. Hope you never have to see Vashj's ugly serpentcovered head again and be happy about it. Just remember that unlike TK/SSC there are some encounters in BT that require a few more healers than most guilds run during T5 content. (ie: we normally run 6 healers on most fights in T5 and in part of T6, but fights like Gurtogg and Teron 7-9 is really the benchmark. The last thing you want to be doing is getting to Teron and having to "waste" a week attuning more healers.

byechee
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
i wouldn't run teron with more than 8 healers. the quicker dps is, the less time there is for things to go wrong, i.e. an idiot getting constructs.

maddfez
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Hope you never have to see Vashj's ugly serpentcovered head again and be happy about it.

I do everyday :-)

So far the transition is going well. In the past two weeks we got Vashj and Kael in one shots...actually the worst boss for us was Hydross, who we hadn't wiped on in months until last week.

Had a couple people oops the BT attunement quest, so we stayed in Hyjal and killed Kaz'rogal last night. Starting BT on Friday with only seven healers, but I have a shadow priest ready to respec if needed.

Thanks for the advice so far. Loving these zones so far....the Hyjal trash gets repetitive, but having a few simple bosses is nice as is just having something new to do.

Which bosses are we going to have to jump over 8 healers for? I've heard talk of 9-10 healers on Archimonde, Bloodboil, Teron, Mother, Council, and Illidian...that seems like a lot of fights where you would need to radically change the group makeup.

byechee
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
the number of healers u bring is dependent on the make up of your raid, as well as its level of competence.

can dps manage to not eat every single doomfire? if so, bring less healers.

can dps manage to take bloodboils cleanly, and can healers keep fel raged people alive? if so, bring less healers.

I'd definitely recommend you have at least 3 dedicated raid healers capable of aoe healing for all those fights you listed (resto shaman/CoH priest). that, plus 4 solid healers healing the MT/whatever else should be sufficient for every fight.

While some guilds like to run with more healers esp on first kills, I've always felt that the faster you can kill something the better.

Methadone
01-26-2008, 04:03 AM
We got enough to be attuned about 3 weeks ago and we went;

Rage > Anetheron > Kaz'rogal > Naj'entus > Supremus > Akama (Bugged) in the first week then;
Azgalor > Akama (non bugged) > Teron Gorefiend > Gurtogg or Archi attempts depending on the number of healers online. Our OT's (2 feral druids and paladin) usually went as healers (didn't respec though) so we had about 10 healers while learning Archi.
Third week we got our OT's to respec, brung some Cauldrons, killed Archi and had some attempts on Gurtogg again though we had a lot of bad luck with fel rages and not learned to deal with mages getting targetted yet.

We are severely screwed by healers unfortunately and we had to spend a couple raid days attuning some shaman which helped a great deal although we got some whine from our raiders about going back to TK (Damned if you do, damned if you dont!)

We are also screwed because we dont have enough HoD for full SR gear so we'll have to wait with Mother for a few weeks and grind on Gurtogg/RoS in the meantime or find some other guild to loan us a couple thousand g.

maddfez
01-28-2008, 08:05 AM
First night in BT was pretty strong. Four shot on Najentus, two shot on Supremus, and then a couple pulls on un-bugged Akama before we called it a night. Another two or three pulls and we should of had that fight.

Trying for Azgalor, Akama, and then some learning attempts on Gorefiend this week, along with getting another Vashj kill out of the way to help with some more attunements.

Raid damage wise, we've gotten pretty decent about avoiding those sort of things for the most part, but I'm sure that Archi will still be terrible for us (airbursts worry me more than doomfires actually). We're taking the steps to get a few extra healers keyed us in case we do need them!

Methadone
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Archi wasn't so bad for us, took us about 10 attempts total to kill him.

We made sure we had people online to replace retards should they consitantly fail with stuff, we set up a -dkp for stupid mistakes, rewarded fast attempt retries with dkp and gave dkp when the raid lasted 1 minute, then 2 minutes then 3 minutes etc.

byechee
02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
people dying to stupid shit on archimonde is the sole reason i wish my guild ran dkp.

Methadone
02-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Perhaps get 4-5 people online in addition to your raid, then have a friendly /rw saying people who fail twice with AVOIDABLE deaths will get replaced (aka no loot)

Avoidable deaths being;
- Doomfires hitting people, there is realistically no reason why any non-feared person should be hit by it.
- Not using tears on time/at all.
- Air bursting the MT

Ezzy
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
people dying to stupid shit on archimonde is the sole reason i wish my guild ran dkp.

Shamans getting Crystal Spire *priority* over Paladins is the sole reason I wish my guild ran dkp.

Gelaxus
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Shamans getting Crystal Spire *priority* over Paladins is the sole reason I wish my guild ran dkp.

QFT.

byechee
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
QFT.

you two should definitely try to be butt buddies everywhere you can.

oh and just because two shaman got crystal spire means they have priority?

looks like pallies got priority on hammer of atonement then.

lul?

Ezzy
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
disregard the proc being useless for a shaman pve wise ^_~.