PDA

View Full Version : Am I Ready for ZA ?

jOEh312
01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey all,

Just doing alittle check up to see what other educated tanks have to say. Wondering if I'm ready to hit ZA either as an MT or as an OT. I was taken in once as an OT for the first boss (bear) and was complimented on the great job I did for my first time in the encounter.

Here's a link to my armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackhand&n=Consistent

Any comments or criticisms about my gear or enchants let me know. I'm still short on +12 stam to bracers, which somehow I just noticed. Sure thought I got that awhile ago..maybe that was off the bracers from moroes and I switched to badge rewards. Oh well, count on that soon. Also count on the Badge Reward cloak. Slikk's Cloak of Placation

But yeah, any advice on pieces I can upgrade without hitting kara, since I only get it once a week and I have TERRIBLE luck with loot dropping. I must have done that place 30 times and I have yet to see a t4 helm drop off prince, or netherspites mantle, or the chestpiece off nightbane.

Also had a question about some of the other badge gear. I know the topics been covered a few times and I suppose I'd be better just to test it myself, but I'm considering switching out Barbed Choker of Discipline for Brooch of Deftness and Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden for Bonefist Gauntlets. I'm hoping that the extra stamina plus the expertise/hit will up my TPS and keep my EH at around the same area if I swtich out necks. The Gloves would be strictly for more EH, Probably gemmed with +12 stam gems. Hoping that the large parry stat and hit would help balance out the loss of SBV and Defense off Maidens Gauntlets.

Ok enough chit chat from me, lets hear what you guys have to say.

~Joey

Nuberino
01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
What shield do you have? I would say you would be fine to OT it, I think MTing anything passed the Bear boss probably requires at least 15k unbuffed hp / amor unless you have a fantastic healing team behind you.

jOEh312
01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Shield of Impenetrable Darkness is my current shield.

Thats kinda what I figured. Most of my guild runs prefer a druid or pally as an offtank as they can provide more than a prot warrior can in situations where only one tank is needed.

~Joey

tarmc0
01-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Switch all of the gear you have mentioned above. As well as that I think you should be looking at S1 or S2 arena gear for your shoulders and chestpiece. That's what I have done as nothing nice tanking gear would drop for those peieces. That should still keep you above the uncrit level. The extra stam and armour will make big difference. After you have that then you should be looking (and the itmes you mentioned above) you will be good for a crack at the first few bosses at least. Season 2 shield is also good to have. Atm I have 15.6k health unbuffed and 18k armour unbuffed. I have not tried it in a couple of months but I have not got past the second boss :(. Need to try it again thoguh.

Arlana
01-14-2008, 06:44 AM
i'd pick up either The Boomstick or a khorium destroyer as well.

And for your drop rate luck, i wouldn't complain. I'm yet to see a kings, pocket watch, belt, adamantite trinket, ring of shermanar, or shield and ironically most of the bosses i need drop two items that i want, and none of them drop it. I JUST got my sun eater last night after running mech 3 weeks nearly everyday. That and you got a spiteblade which between having a rogue that has been through kara enough times to be exalted 2-3 times and my tank is already exalted as well, i've personally only seen one and it dropped my second week tanking kara after i retired my rogue from raiding.

Oglshrub
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
You should be able to MT Bear and possibly eagle, I was around your stats when ZA came out.

xeriah
02-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, since this is a 'am i ready for ZA' topic, i was wondering if you think i am (or for the first part?) Here is my armory link (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Earthen+Ring&n=Xeriah).

I know there are still some nice upgrades for me in kara and a lot of badge gear upgrades. But is it worth trying ZA you think? Or maybe as offtank? Or better not try yet?

Shortypop
02-04-2008, 01:57 AM
xeriah: Stats look good to me, at least for the start. I'd replace your legs with Timewarden's unless you're very close to the badges for the badge legs. And maybe swop in a "traditional" tank necklace if needed - one option is the one from CE reputation/maiden's (if you've got it).

For reference I MT bear, eagle, ot (lynx) and have mt'ed dragonhawk with (unbuffed):
15.5k hp, 17.6k armour, 21% dodge, 17% parry, 29% block (61 hit and 11 expertise). For lynx, I ot and tank the spirit (druid tank on the boss) and I swop in some more dodge gear, we dps the boss so agro on the spirit is a non-issue, and I think I sit around 27% dodge (unbuffed).

Kanwedar
02-04-2008, 06:31 AM
My gear is very similar to the OP, have Pan'zar, but don't have a good shield, still using Sha'tar rep shield. I've tanked everything including Zul'jin. Elixirs and Ironshield are your friend. Here's my armory, arms right now so probably not in tanking gear.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Earthen+Ring&n=Kanwedar

CharlzO
02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
to the OP: You easily have a few hundred more health in your current gear , before switching out your badge gear. +150 HP to chest, and replacing the 9 Stams with 12s, plus the Fort on your bracers, and you'd be looking at close to another 500 health, and that's before switching the neck, cloak, and gloves.

You should be fine. We did the Bear Boss on Sat, and I sit on just under 14.8k hp unbuffed.

Lunestone
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I was gonna say... me and my GM are sitting at around 14.5 health... and we got the first two bosses there (everyone's been pugging ZA, just decided to make it more a priority this week). We already get thru the gauntlet without a wipe... the rain was messing us up on Akil'zon, DBM is still off on that fight so you really need to be able to hear the rain to get everyone on the MT. Was happy with last night though :) Bear boss is super easy, akil'zon needs some work to not get a wipe but we didn't wipe at all to the third boss :D

We didn't even come close to getting him but he's a lot of fun :p

mishmash
02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
sounds like your ready for the first half at least :D

Gnobiwan
02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
We're planning on heading to ZA this weekend but I'm not sure what stats our OT needs. I'm currently at about 15k HP / 16k AC unbuffed so I'm not worried about my stats. Our OT on the other hand will have less gear and I don't remember his stats. We will use full consumables obviously, but can any give me an idea as to what stats a ZA OT (Prot War) will need to handle OTing the first few bosses?

Devarin
02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Your gear looks to be on the verge of making a good run in ZA. I'm sitting at 15.6k health/17k armor unbuffed with 18%dodge/19%parry/23%block (in EH situations) and my team has killed Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'Alai, and Halazzi. I have a druid off-tank and have a part time pally off-tank for specific situations. I usually tank Nalorakk in bear phase, Akil'zon, Jan'Alai, and the Lynx Spirit on Halazzi.

Oneup
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
ive mt the first 2 bosses w/ barely over/under 13k hp unbuffed w/ no problem at all when i had horrid gear, idk beyond that cause group i always go w/ couldnt get past the trash. pug group ftl T_T

Radhja
02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I recommend at least 14k health/15k armor to start ZA. Nalorakk doesn't crush, but you still need 2 tanks ready to take a beating.

I'm currently sitting at 14.5k health/16.3k armor and I can tank Bear and Eagle well enough. Jan'alai's crush streaks and Halazzi's insane attack speed still give me trouble though. A solid party can get you through, but if there's any deficiencies, they will shine through clearly before the day is done.

jOEh312
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
A Little Update:

I've been doing ZA's lately. I started into ZA with not much more than was originally posted in this thread. I did mostly OT duties and things of the sort. Even as an OT I had some problems with only being in the 13k hp range. Bear and Eagle weren't much of a problem, especially for an OT in that range, but Halazzi will mess you up real fast. Splitting saber lash with the main tank, still will drop you REALLY low. Not to mention if you're on the linx duty you've got him whittling away at you to. If that's the case don't be upset when you die without knowing what happened.

Most of it is pretty doable, ESPECIALLY with a good group. I've had wonderful guildies who love to raid and are very good at their jobs accompany me and it's made all the difference. If you have a solid group, nothing should be a real problem.

~Joey