PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Takes Action Against Afkers!

Kazeyonoma
01-12-2008, 11:37 AM
http://www.theoryspot.com/photoplog/images/1/1_WoWNews.pngWorldofWarcraft.com News
Read more about it here!:
WoW Forums -> Battleground Non-participation Account Action (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=2BE84289941F8F012C4F8AEB4B7 2D635?topicId=3881781638&sid=1)

In our continued efforts to support fair gameplay in World of Warcraft and to provide a positive experience for players, we are currently taking steps to ensure fair and enjoyable competition in the Battlegrounds. Starting immediately, we will be issuing warnings and penalties, including suspensions and the removal of Honor points and recently acquired Honor rewards, for non-participation in Battleground games.

We are taking action against thousands of accounts immediately, and will continue to monitor these situations and regularly take action against violators. If you encounter a player in a Battleground who is intentionally not participating in the battle for an extended period of time, please help us track the situation and report the player as AFK. For information on how to complete an in-game AFK report, please go here: (WoW -> PvP -> Battlegrounds -> General Info (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds/info.html)). All reports will be thoroughly investigated, and corrective action will only be taken if the violation is confirmed.

Thank you for your support and best of luck to you in all of your games in the Battlegrounds!

Fame
01-12-2008, 11:42 AM
That is such a horrible idea! Not only are they back peddling now with what a CM (Kaplan i think it was) said about them trying to figure out people are afking and fix that, but they are also going to hurt aloft of innocent people. I have been tagged inactive in AV with the most damage and leading the Alliance to the horde base. Its obviously very easy to drop the debuff, but then again its also very easy to flag people inactive when they are in fact contributing.

Rak
01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Yea I also found the back peddling to be pretty amusing. They've said many times they don't want harsher AFK penalties, but to make the BGs fun enough that people don't want to AFK. Now they're just going to ban everyone.

Clyde
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I suspect this might be in response to the more brazen AFKers that I've been seeing lately. For a while it was better, with most people playing, but I've been seeing folks that ride out and then heal themselves or moonfire a bunny when they get the debuff.

When they do that, and then brag about it in /bg chat, that strikes me as actionable.

Pinnick
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Ultimately it sucks because either way there is bound to be someone who gets away with it or someone who is affected negatively.

Tough situation to deal with and eliminate.

Worldie
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Banning everyone is not the best way to solve it.

However, it's the only way.

Kazeyonoma
01-14-2008, 09:26 AM
If you play the battleground as it is intended, you have no worries, this isn't about 1 emergency "oh crap gotta go" kinda thing, (which if you truly have an emergency you should probably not even care about this, and you'd get the 5min afk deserter kick anyways) its about repeatedly trying to work around the current debuff timer that many people do. I think everyone is worried they're gonna get banned or what not for a casual afk or bio break, but if you're out there charging on offense, or dying and recapping on defense, there's simply no need to worry. I've played bgs every weekend now and have only gotten the debuff once while on defense, but 20 seconds later I got charged by alliance offense and never had it again, its really really nothing to worry about.

Rak
01-15-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm not worried about getting banned because I wouldn't get banned. I think it's just a silly thing to do. I don't think you should have to do such an insane amount of battlegrounds to get competitive arena gear.

I'm not a PvPer, so I'm not whining, because it doesn't effect me. But when I got my boots/bracers/belt for tanking, I AFKed most of that honor while watching TV, since I had become very tired of BGs over the last couple years. If I had to also get two rings, a throwing weapon, a cloak, a neck, two trinkets, two weapons, and 5 pieces of season 1 gear..... well I'd honestly look into botting. It isn't worth the insane time sink into something that I don't enjoy.

So, ultimately, I think punishing people so harshly for doing something like sitting in AV while watching TV and such is silly. I don't care if they ban people that are using bots or keyboard macros, because that's obviously against the rules. I think the problem in the big picture is the entire relationship between arena/BGs/PvE, and I really wish they would find a way to fix it.

The game was so much simpler before 2.0

Brucimus
01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I well I'd honestly look into botting. It isn't worth the insane time sink into something that I don't enjoy.

How lazy do you have to be ....to be too lazy to PLAY A GAME? I just can't comprehend this attitude. If you don't enjoy it ...do something else.

OldHarry
01-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Banning them is being kind. I hate welfare. In real life and in WoW. AFKers are the worst, after gold farmers. If you don't play, and try, and help your team, you don't deserve the gear. If you don't want to spend the time to get the gear, go get some other gear. Or don't. But you shouldn't have what you didn't earn.

They need to do something. If this were real life on a playground, and you were sitting in the middle of the field while the rest of your team was getting killed in kick-ball, you'd get beat up and thrown off the field. The unemployed should not get a physician's salary just because they hung out in the hall way in medical school. The same thing should happen in WoW. Good for you Blizzard!

Rak
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
How lazy do you have to be ....to be too lazy to PLAY A GAME? I just can't comprehend this attitude. If you don't enjoy it ...do something else.

Did you read the whole post? I specifically said that people don't enjoy it, and there should be something else to do. However, since you have to get an incredibly huge amount of honor for gear to use in arenas..... well, why else do you think people afk BGs?

The fact is, arena and BGs are totally seperate playstyles. But you need to do several hundred BGs to get gear for arena. Very few people enjoy having to do the BG grind to get ~17 pieces of gear. It would be like having to farm the same instance until you replace every single item from it... but an item only drops for you once every 50 clears (15k honor/300 honor average = 50). It's boring and repetitive. It isn't even PvP when it's in AV, it's basically PvE where you see some alliance once in a while.

Brucimus
01-16-2008, 01:50 PM
as far as i'm concerned there is NEVER a reason to be afk in a BG. unless your house is on fire or your BFF needs some special attention ...Play the game ...or log off

Uruz
01-16-2008, 08:14 PM
The best way for Blizz to stop afking in bgs is to reward performance instead of just showing up. If you didn't get honor for doing nothing then noone would go afk.

I don't know how exactly they would do this but it would be more effective than babysitting people. With the new rules all you have to do is suicide run into some enemies every once in a while. You still don't have to actually try to win.

Finelle
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I think this was a rather good move by Blizzard. For one, those who AFK don't understand the frustration that you get when every AV you get into has 20-30 people AFKing. The record I've personally seen is 36 AFKers in a 40 person AV. It got to the point where there literally was no way to play the BGs at all.

Secondly, for those that say that their AFK doesn't cost anyone else anything, it does. It costs those who play immense amounts of honor and tokens, to say nothing of the lack of enjoyment and frustration that results.

As for Blizzard's backpedalling, I'll chalk it up to policy error. They did not anticipate that so many people would turn into leeches on other players. If anything, they underestimated the extent to which people would exploit the honor system. They backpedaled to fix the mistake that they made, which is perfectly normal and understandable.

I will admit that personal experience has left me with little patience and understanding for anyone who AFKs for honor. I enjoyed an engaging, completely AFKer-free AV yesterday. Good call, Blizzard!

Radhja
01-17-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm not worried about getting banned because I wouldn't get banned. I think it's just a silly thing to do. I don't think you should have to do such an insane amount of battlegrounds to get competitive arena gear.

I'm not a PvPer, so I'm not whining, because it doesn't effect me. But when I got my boots/bracers/belt for tanking, I AFKed most of that honor while watching TV, since I had become very tired of BGs over the last couple years. If I had to also get two rings, a throwing weapon, a cloak, a neck, two trinkets, two weapons, and 5 pieces of season 1 gear..... well I'd honestly look into botting. It isn't worth the insane time sink into something that I don't enjoy.

So, ultimately, I think punishing people so harshly for doing something like sitting in AV while watching TV and such is silly. I don't care if they ban people that are using bots or keyboard macros, because that's obviously against the rules. I think the problem in the big picture is the entire relationship between arena/BGs/PvE, and I really wish they would find a way to fix it.

The game was so much simpler before 2.0This is such an absurd attitude...

The BGs aren't that taxing on players. In fact, I got my entire S1 set in less than a month's time farming AV (and whatever the daily was) for Honor, and it never takes more than an hour or two to get 2-3k honor easy. AFKers make the games that would be over and done with in 10-15 minutes a long, drawn-out ordeal that essentially nets you less honor than WSG (and that's just sad).

In the end, AFKers brought this upon themselves, and I commend Blizzard for finally stepping in and laying down the law on this matter. Yes, I FREQUENTLY report people hanging out in the AFKave, and I hope that by doing so, it inspires them to pay attention in the BG and participate in a victory. If you're not gonna play the game, you shouldn't reap the rewards others work so hard to get - end of story.

L2bg, or GTFO.