PDA

View Full Version : ZA - Jan'alai killing me

Beloloo
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi all

am i undergeared for this Jan'alai? somehow healers cant keep me alive during enrage.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman'Thul&n=Beloloo

I am confused what to do, i am fully buffed during the fight,even i have used ironshield potion but didnt help.

is it healers or me having some problems ?

any advices?

Cheers

Ruminator
01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
We've done this fight in a variety of ways. Here's what seems to be most successful for us:

First wave of hatchers - let all the hatchlings spawn on one side (kill the other hatcher asap). Soon as the first set of firebombs goes off, kill all the hatchlings.

Second wave of hatchers - let all the hatclings spawn on the other side (both hatchers will run to the same side). Soon as the first set of firebombs goes off, kill all the remaining hatchlings.

Now, the only thing you have to worry about is the boss, and your healers can focus on HEALING YOU. You should also have around 1:45 till enrage at this point, which is plenty of time to get him very close to dead (or probably kill him if your dps folks are very well-geared).

Make absolutely sure you have rage ready to pop shield block every single time the cooldown is up, and use ironshields. I try and set things up so dps is maximized before the enrage phase, while things are less worrysome for the healers. This usually coincides well with me having a shaman and paladin (our OT is always a paladin here, it works great for locking down all the hatchlings at once) in my group for devotion aura, agi totem, stoneskin totem all available for the enrage portion of the fight.

"Frontloading" the fight like this cuts the duration down for us by around 3 minutes, and also allows a very early reset if things go badly during the first 2 waves of hatchers (so you won't be more than about 2 mins into the fight if you need to reset). After all the hatchlings are done, we've been able to win this with only 1 healer alive for the remainder of the fight because the healing difficulty goes down so drastically.

Just my 2 copper!

byechee
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
if you're letting a whole side hatch, assume you have a pally OT? else it seems things can get out of control quick, especially with that fire dmg debuff stacking on healers

Ceravantes
01-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Even without a pally it is relatively easy to lock down most of, if not a whole side. We always do it in 2 waves, kill one hatcher let him cast 4 times twice, then kill the rest at 35%. We generally have about 45 seconds before enrage when he hits 35%.

Clifford
01-16-2008, 04:42 AM
The biggest challenge here is that healers need to realize that they have to switch to some heavy pro-active healing when he does his "mini-enrage". Focus on keep shield-block up as well as he can crush often.

Andomar
01-16-2008, 06:33 AM
@Clifford: The mini-enrage is the Cat boss? This thread is about the Dragon boss I think.

Anyway you're better geared than me. Turn on /combatlog and figure out exactly what is killing you.

Your second trinket gives block rating, I'm not sure that is very useful. Consider a stamina trinket.

Arrivan
01-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Jan'alai has two enrages. One is after 5 minutes or at 35% (whichever comes first), this being the soft enrage, then he has a hard enrage after 10 minutes.

Dragaan
01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Jan'alai can and will crush you many times throughout the fight. ESP during the soft-enrage. If you look at how he attacks you, even when he's not enraged, he often lands double attacks. You'll see 2 hits pop up on your screen at the same time and often when this happens i see that both of them have been (blocked). That scares me because I know it instantly ate up both my block charges. You have two ways to deal with this.. Either you can play the druid role and Stack EH gear and hope you dont get a bad string of hits/crushes...or you can load up on avoidance (since your threat should be quite a bit ahead of most of the dpsers since they have been killing lil hawks most of the time) and hope you don't get unlucky. Basically what I'm trying to say is that even tho his soft-enrage is known to be "easy" to survive...it can still hurt a fairly-well geared tank and cause huge burst dmg. So, esp if you are in a mix of t4/t5, try to wear your best survival gear and make sure you explain to your healers that they have to be on their toes in case you get a big burst or 2 during that time. The enrage is not as harmless as a lot of guides make it out to be.

Beloloo
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
we got him down last night :D

Healers : Druid, Pally, Priest
DPS : Mage, Mage, Lock, Hunter, Rogue
Tanks : Warrior, Druid

we let one hatcher open all the eggs at one side, and the other side on 2nd wave. This gave good break to healers to focus on me and keep dps alive.

He hits too fast and most of the time Shield Block runs out, i guess increasing avoidance and/or block is very important but keep eye on EH, maxing block is cheap which will help you reduce crushing blows, also i incresed expertise.

and he droped Pally Shield :mad:

Ruminator
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Grats on getting him down )

Radhja
02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I managed to squeeze into another guild's ZA run as OT (actually, the MT was a Paly, which meant I just took the tougher single-target mobs while he kept everything else, which kinda made me the MT who didn't know what the hell was going on. lol)

Well, they had already downed the first 3 bosses, and were running to Jan'alai. I had no idea if I could take a ZA boss's beating or not, but we ran it a few times anyway. (OMG, I hate scouts... so annoying)

This guy hits so hard and so fast, SB can't possibly cover all of the CBs he's throwing at you. After reviewing my combat.log, I saw how frequently he was smashing my face in. The regular hits are fairly strong (2-3k range), but the CBs were insane (6-8k range), and they just kept sneaking in around my SB-spamfest. Granted, I had a feeling I was a little undergear'd for the encounter (I've downed Prince), but dayum did I get my arse handed to me.

My recommendations for this fight?

Stay mobile. When he breathes fire on a random party member, if that person is behind the tank, the tank gets burned pretty badly in addition to the beating he's already taking. Avoid the fire!

As always, stack for EH, but be sure to pack plenty of avoidance for this fight. Dodging an 8k CB would have saved my raid last night, but instead I stepped down to let a better-gear'd tank get them thru the fight. You can't mitigate hits like that without some serious gear.

and...

Bring a Paly OT for the dragonhawks. I couldn't imagine trying to tank all those as a warrior, or even a drooood.

I'd recommend 15k Health and Armor for this fight, as well. I'm sitting at 14k Health 15k armor and I was doing fine for the majority of the fight pre-enrage.

Edit: Incidentally, your gear looks just fine for the fight. 31% block is very nice for catching those CBs... just make sure you're spamming SB.

Ceravantes
02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
just don't tank the adds, aoe them.

Cairn
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Some informations for this fight :

Since 2.3.3 , the eggs don't repop , so it's a nerf or a bug but , kill ALL eggs side by side and this encounter begin very easy.

Dealing with fire bomb , target a aware player , symbolising him ( square, diamond ) , and all the group regroup on them , when the bomb exploses MOVE OUT quickly!

Don't forget : NOBODY behind the tank.

Raid compo last night:

- 1 paladin heal
- 1 paladin retrib
- 1 druide
- 1 rogue
- 1 war def
- 1 druid resto
- 1 shaman heal
- 1 mage
- 1 warlock

Healing :
1 heal (paladin) + druide renew on me
Shaman @Chan heal phase Bird
Shaman @heal MT phase Enrage/noBird

Strategy :

Birds Time :8-16 birds by phase .
AoE + tanking by Druid the bird pop , dps rogue-paladin dps each bird for accelerate the kill bird.
Repeat this side by side , since no more eggs.
Burn the boss :)

Comment :
i Have 23 % dodge , 17 % parry and 38 % block , yes good block for this encounter but when i read the combat log, this boss crush me SO LOT . @ the beginning , the crush not hit so hard and 1 heal + HOT druid are enough. But when he enrage ... CB @ 5k/6k, u need more heal even if u have a good gear.

Remember, killing all birds it's ur first priority.