PDA

View Full Version : How far can I go in Kara with this tank?

Korentul
01-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Hello guys, I'm a new member here and Friday will be my first time running Kara. I just wanted to know how far can I go in kara with my current gear and talent setup? Korentul on bloodscalp is my character. Thanks in advanced.

edit- Here's the link to my armory. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&n=Korentul

tarmc0
01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I might be missing something here mate but I can't see a link to your armoury...

tarmc0
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM
You probably have about the same gear than what I did when I first started. Your talents are well spent too. To say how far you can progress on your gear depends a lot on the gear of your healers and other party members. You shouldn't have any probs with Animal Boss (if you even intend to do him) or Attuman. Mores will be your first real test. If you don't have all the cc required you (or the off tank) may be required to pick up one of the 4 adds as well as Moroes. To progress past the Maiden you will need more health. Once healers are silenced it is up to you to keep yourself alive for (8-10 secs I think) until the silence wears off. The more health you have the better chance of remianing alive through that period.

Take each week at a time though and look at each boss downed as progression. I think it took us about 4-5 weeks to get past Maiden orginally and she is harder than the Theartre Event. What I'm trying to say is don't look too far ahead. I think downing both Animal boss and Attuman on your first attempt is a good start.

Mordigen
01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Looks pretty good for starting out. Once in you will be able to get some upgrades for tanking and improve from there. You shouldn't have a problem with your gear at this time, and as long as you have the rest of your raid on par you will be in good shape. If you are running with a raid group that has been going to Kara and getting gear already, you might want to get some upgrades before you attempt some fights like prince or nightbane, or pretty much anything curator on. It is good to take it a few steps at a time. Don't try to force your way through Kara, but shoot for getting to the point where you can get up to curator, and then once that is going smooth try some of the other bosses to see how it goes. Remember that not all bosses are required, so if you are having trouble on Illhoof, skip him for now and try on a different run, or try again after you reach the point you want to.

When I first started we had trouble on Moroes, and usually took a few tries, so we initially started out trying to get through Maiden. Once we had the first few bosses down good, we would get past Opera to the back door. I like the idea of setting a goal and working for it, then when you surpass it consistenly, move the goal to something further.

Korentul
01-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks alot for the replies guys! I have another question. I downloaded deadly boss mod and installed it, but I don't know how to use it. Does it start up when I get in the raid or something? Is there a guide that I could read to be able to understand the mod better? Thanks.

Arlana
01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
My best advice for you is to start on that heroic mech my friend. Start getting those badges. Check out TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft (http://www.tankingtips.com) for the heroic badge gear list and what order you should work on. I had a few more epics than you when i started in on kara, just enough to put me at 12.6k health and 15k armor, and we 1 shot every boss in the instance but nightbane which only took 3 tries. So like they said above, alot of it depends on your raids gear(healers specifically). Just keep up TC, demo, and shield block... keeping those crushing blows off the table and i'm sure you'll do just fine.

Arlana
01-09-2008, 07:44 AM
once you enter a raid or battleground or anything like that, DBM will auto detect it and activate. No worries, just have it in your mod folder and activated at your character mod screen and you'll be all set. Good luck and have fun ^_^ tanking is a blast.

tarmc0
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
You can click on the icon (which should appear around you mini map) and change settings from there. To be honest mate I think the default automatically loads each time you enter an instance so there should be no need to change anything. The only thing you may want to do is move the defualt postion of the "countdown" timer. It will be slap bang in the middle of your screen as default anytime you take on a boss which can be annoying and an adverse distraction. I have mine at the side of the screen so I can see what is going on plus see the timer.

superwombat
01-10-2008, 10:42 PM
The only suggestion I would make on your gear is your ranged slot. You have a green level 69 gun with low stats and +defense on it. You are well past the defense cap, so consider replacing it with any of the level 70 blue ranged weapons with better stats, hopefully something with at least a few stamina.

Taelas
01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
You should be fine tanking everything up to and including Curator. As long as the rest of your raid can handle it, of course.

By the way, you're far beyond the crit cap -- I'd replace your Defense trinket with something better, preferably stamina. (Heroic Underbog drops Argussian Compass.)