PDA

View Full Version : Blast!

Romulos
01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm a 69 Prot Warrior (although I was 68 last night) and I was tanking for non-heroic Shadow Labyrinth. There wasn't a hitch at all until we got to the Felguards, and then we started encountering problems. (This is before the first boss btw). We had a Pally healer, so no fear ward, and I kept getting feared and losing aggro.

The real problem is when we tried the boss. We wiped twice because of this same fear problem. I basically had my group telling me that this was my fault because I didn't have a "pvp trinket." I tried to explain to them that a 2-min cooldown trinket couldn't really make a difference, since I was feared at least 4 times/battle (all most likely within 2 min.). I ended up getting kicked from the group (after the second boss wipe) because of my level (the player who originally said for me to "f***ing ding first" was actually 69).

1) Should it have been my responsibility to stay de-feared?
2) For future reference, are there any other methods of staying de-feared/mc-ed/polymorphed/etc. than the PvP trinket?
3) I didn't really see a problem with my level, I just kept Thunderclap/Imp. Shield Block up and mitigated the majority of the boss's damage, but could it have been my level that caused problems?
4) What is a good strategy for SL without a priest?

Worldie
01-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Have
everyone
to
stay
in
fear
range

Then, if they don't and they die, tell them "i told you". It's their fault if they don't execute, not yours.

Arlana
01-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Firstly, they were assholes.
Secondly, the best thing you could do for yourself is ding 70 because intervene is the best skill you have for getting back to your target and stopping damage inc to your party asap.
Thirdly, there's basically a timer on that fear. If you can just pop zerker rage once you get settled with the mob, the first fear comes within 5-10 seconds, which your zerker rage will prevent. Then the next one pop your pvp trinket. By then you should have him down, if it happens a third time then just intervene your way back.
Mozman's Macro's provides a very nice target of target intervene macro that you can use and never change your target from your mob. Just automatically intervene's to it's target and you can taunt the mob back, shield slam bam your top on threat with the mob tryin to kill you.

Romulos
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I should be 70 in the next few days... and it's not like I'm whoring myself for groups pre-70, tanks are short on this server, so they looked me up on /who. Although I didn't have a problem getting aggro back... I just threated and popped devastate/ss/rev or a few devastates, and I was fine. But thanks especially for the timer advice, that sounds like the best way to handle the situation. I was wondering if I should try berserker rage, but I didn't know the frequency of the fears, and there was no way I could have survived the entire fight in berserker stance.

Kavel
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I thought fear no longer dropped aggro? In that last patch, didn't they change that? (Remember all the druid/pally rejoicing re: being able to tank nightbane now?)

So if you were losing aggro, it must've just been because you couldn't generate threat while you were feared. If your DPS continued to wail on the mob while you were prevented from generating threat, then it's just an old-fashioned case of pulling aggro. Just tell them to stop attacking.

Alent
01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Intimidating Shout may be a fear, but it's also a sleep for the primary target, meaning you get CC'd and thus, aggro dump for the 8~9 seconds it lasts.

I've pretty much decided Shamen are a "can't live with them, can't live without them" class. Tremor totem trivializes the felguards. The way I dealt with that the other day in heroic slabs when I didn't have a shammy with tremor totem was simply to have the rogue shiv their movement speed reduction poison while everyone stays in shout range.

Worldie
01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Actually intimidating shout is much more like a incapacitate (gouge-like) than a fear.

In fact it breaks with damage.