PDA

View Full Version : Res in relation to Def, am I right about this?

Dimmu
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I was viewing a thread similar to mine which concerns Resilience in lowering your chance to be crit and I was hoping someone could confirm what I think is correct.

Basically, I'm sitting at 487 Defense in a mix of T4, Kara gear (KD, Rings, Neck, Bracers, etc.), and Crest of Sha'tar. I have my gear fully Solid Star'd except for my Bracers, which have a Talasite, and my Battlescar Boots have 12 Stamina/(Parry/Defense). With that said, I PVP more than I PVE and when I do PVE, I normally DPS. However, I'm a Warrior and when I have the ability to tank, and when a situation arises that I'm asked to do so, I'd like to perform top notch, even if it's not my preferred job.

I use the S2 Ranged weapon which gives 12 Resilience. Based on the calculations posted in another thread, I think I can say that:

If 39.4 Resilence = 1% Crit Reduction, then 39.4 Resilence/12 (from the weapon) = 3.28, or .328% Crit Reduction.

If 1 Defense = .04% Crit Reduction, then .328/.04 CR = 8.2 Defense Rating.

So, 8.2 Defense Rating = 12 Resilence, and considering 2.36 Defense Rating = 1 Defense, 8.2/2.36 = 3.4% Defense. So with 12 Resilence from my throwing weapon, my "sweet spot" for Defense is effectively lowered from 490 to 487, which I have achieved.

I have a feeling I took too many steps and I may be really really wrong, but Math is not my forte, obviously, and it's been a long time since I've actually done math. I'm a little scatterbrained after a night of family issues so take it easy on me please.

Any help is much appreciated and thanks for your time.

veneretio
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Ya your math is a little out to lunch, no offense.

You want to do 12/39.4 = .31%

Your total to crit reduction needs to be 5.6%. (this is what 490 defense is) So if you don't have 490 defense just hover over your tooltips in your character screen in WoW. If they add up to 5.6% then you are golden.

Dimmu
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Okay, mousing over my Defense tab says I have 5.46% Crit Reduction, mousing over my Resilience tab says I have .3% Crit Reduction.

My question is, is my Resilence calculated in my Defense tab or is my overall Crit Reduction 5.76%?

Kazeyonoma
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
you're overall is 5.76%

If you read the tooltip in the defense tab it says "chance to crit reduced" from defense or something, it is only showing your defense crit reduction, so you're safe

I can attest to this because I have tanked in 460 defense gear with 1% or so extra resil crit reduction and never ate a crit while tanking any boss from kara->za

Dimmu
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Awesome, I'm glad I decided to keep my elunes and not screw my gear by putting a few Talasites in, thanks for the help everyone.

Mordigen
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
It would be the 5.76% reduction. Resilience would make up the difference in the crit reduction, but it does not add the parry, dodge, and block that the defense does. Great way to make up for the crit though if that is what you are after.

Tyriall
01-03-2008, 10:03 AM
I registered here to ask this exact same question. Good thing I read before I post. :)

Thanks, guys, you've eased my mind about entering Kara with some resilience in place of defense.

veneretio
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Since I see this question asked here a million times (not that it's a bad question), I've created a Resilience Calculator (http://www.tankingtips.com/tanking-formulas) (and a few others). Should put your mind at easy.

Lilie
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Vene...you so coooooool!

Careis
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
you can also just download the mod TankPoints, and hover over your Melee DR line, it will tell you your %chance to be crit by a lvl 73 mob.

I suck at math, and this is the easiest way for me to ride the crit line, just make sure it always says .00% ;)

Radhja
01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
wait... so you're saying that I can equip my Prot PvP gear which has ~165 resilience, leaving my Defense skill at ~410, and tank without fear of Crits?

...for some reason, I'd imagined that Defense and Resilience didn't stack. This changes everything.

I'm gonna try to tank Kara tonight in 4/5 S1 and +SBV gear :D

veneretio
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
wait... so you're saying that I can equip my Prot PvP gear which has ~165 resilience, leaving my Defense skill at ~410, and tank without fear of Crits?

...for some reason, I'd imagined that Defense and Resilience didn't stack. This changes everything.

I'm gonna try to tank Kara tonight in 4/5 S1 and +SBV gear :D
LOL keep in mind that Defense offers Avoidance. Resilience does not and while Stamina and Armor are most important... Avoidance matters a lot too. That being said, let us know how it goes :D

Taelas
01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Since I see this question asked here a million times (not that it's a bad question), I've created a Resilience Calculator (http://www.tankingtips.com/tanking-formulas) (and a few others). Should put your mind at easy.

Just for the record, they aren't calculating correctly. They should only give bonuses when you get enough rating to increase your skill, but they give bonuses for each single rating. They should also only round down, never up (unless there's a difference when there are two different abilities giving the same bonus - agility and dodge rating for dodge%, for example. Not sure there is, though).

Radhja
01-07-2008, 08:25 AM
LOL keep in mind that Defense offers Avoidance. Resilience does not and while Stamina and Armor are most important... Avoidance matters a lot too. That being said, let us know how it goes :D
Well, I tried it out... things actually went smoother-than-normal thanks to my vastly-increased DPS. I only lost aggro during the Curator fight (damn Druid skyrocketed in DPS/TPS when Curator went into Evocation, enough to pull aggro for about 30 seconds... /sigh) Rage generation (with my current spec) is alot higher tho... I was never starving for mana.

Stats were
12.5k health
16k armor (nice boost from S1 gear)
~420 Defense
~100 Resilience (don't remember precisely what this was, but I was wearing full S1, sans gloves)

Your healers have to be on their game because you WILL take a bit more damage, but for trash and otherwise non-gimmick fights, even though my health drops weres a little spikier than normal, it was just so much easier to hold aggro. I'm going to evaluate piece by piece over the next few weeks what's good and what's not (an whether or not to start stacking Stamina in my S1 gear, or stick to +Hit/+Parry/+SBV/etc gems), but overall it was just righteous to walk around in KZ in the same gear I hit AV with. XD

Bear in mind that we only cleared to Opera and Curator. We one-shotted Opera, but phailed miseraly on Curator (lack of DPS = wipe), but if/when we progress further I'll let you know how it goes. :)