PDA

View Full Version : Threat gear

Razor
12-28-2007, 02:42 AM
As I learned more and more about tanking my ideas on what pieces of gear are the best for me. I moved from stacking defense to focusing on stamina and armor while keeping the 490 defense minimum. But as I've started raid tanking I've realized the importance of threat enhancing stats on gear. Because of this I've started looking more closely at gear with stats like strength, agility, hit and crit rating. Does anyone have advice for how to effectively boost my threat with my gear?

Cirventhor
12-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Items with Expertise are very good for what you're asking, especially Brooch of Deftness and Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx , both new in 2.3 and bought from badges.

Razor
12-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Yeah, after I saw those I went like this: :eek: I'll definetly get those when I have the badges.

Armstrong
12-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Expertise, +Hit and Block Value are the stats you are after. A fast, high-DPS weapon doesn't hurt either. There are a few gear guides out there, including on this site. Or you can run some item searches on wowhead.

The Badge rewards should definitely be high on your priority list, since those are basically free upgrades. I say free because you don't need a raid group and you don't have to rely on a lucky drop. All you need is to prioritise your gameplay towards farming the heck out of heroics. It's a tedious process, but those items are some of the best upgrades available to any tank prior to Hyjal and BT, and happen to be the easiest to obtain.

Muggs
12-30-2007, 05:19 AM
I tell all my new tanks, once they hit 490 defense: Gnomergan Auto-Blocker for threat. +59 base (70.1 talent spec'd) and a +200 BV on use is a great way to generate threat. Pop that trinket and you can get 3 high powered shield slams off to solidify threat.

Try sticking +2% threat onto your gloves (apologies if you have it already, no armory viewing here). +15 agility is great for avoidance, but for raw threat you need the threat booster.

Beyond that, you have the joy of needing to actually hit the target to do threat (I don't undestand this as I'm a pally ;p) so you'll want to max your hit rating (9%) and then stack enough expertise to reduce dodge and parry (I think most mobs are 5%ish on these? correct me if I'm wrong). I've had friends mention their threat soared after stacking some hit and expertise -- so I'd go that way.

Razor
01-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Let's see here...

I have:
270 strength
119 agility
10.38% crit chance
0 hit rating
0 expertise
245 block value

I'll be going for the Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx and Brooch of Deftness for expertise. Once my blacksmithing is high enough I can make my Fireguard for some hit rating.

Edit: Updated 1/13/2008 :D

Arlana
01-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I tell all my new tanks, once they hit 490 defense: Gnomergan Auto-Blocker for threat. +59 base (70.1 talent spec'd) and a +200 BV on use is a great way to generate threat. Pop that trinket and you can get 3 high powered shield slams off to solidify threat.

Very easy macro for getting 4 shield slams off in one trinket use np. Mozmen's(forgive me if i mispelled his name) Macro's can be found stickied on the warrior forums for WoW.com or on theoryspot.com which give very useful macro's for w/e you might need. Including the shield slam macro i spoke of.

dorfwawwior
01-04-2008, 02:12 AM
I personally have a few sets I run with when tanking, but on the topic of threat i do this...

Threat sets are mainly for trash mobs and when content is on farm.

One thing to note is that most trash does not go over lvl 72, so you don't need to stack the full 9% for them. I'd say something around 7-8% is healthy for trash.

Expertise is a great stat to have as well, the neck and bracers from badges are nice as well as the LC exalted ring. Those are easily obtained items. I don't think there is a mob in game that has over 5.6% dodge (normal or boss), however parry can be up there (16-17%). With this in mind, getting enough expertise to counter the 5.6% is a good start.

BV is great as well, I run about 500 bv in my threat set for trash.

Last thing I want to say is this, while threat sets are great for nice TPS, for boss fights, especially progression fights, yer not gonna want to go with this set. Yer gonna want to stick with the set best tailored to the encounter, be it a EH set or a EH/avoidance mix set. Tossing a little expertise in there is nice as well, but I wouldn't focus on it personally. I'd weigh BV over expertise for these fights personally.

Wartorn
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Forget fireguard. Go armorsmith and get the BP.

IMO, the best (usable) threat pieces heading into T5 content are Autoblocker, Farstriders Cloak, Deftness, Phalanx, Unwavering, Romulo's Poison Vial, Maiden's gloves, Red Havoc Boots, and T4 helm.

Careis
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Let's see here...

I have:
245 strength
98 agility
9.74% crit chance
0 hit rating
0 expertise
245 block value

I'll be going for the Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx and Brooch of Deftness for expertise. Once my blacksmithing is high enough I can make my Fireguard for some hit rating.

Are you sure you have zero expertise? if you only have Zero, you should fix your spec ;) picking up defiance is better than any peice of armor you can craft, or get in any instance for threat :cool:

Razor
01-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Are you sure you have zero expertise? if you only have Zero, you should fix your spec ;) picking up defiance is better than any peice of armor you can craft, or get in any instance for threat :cool:That was before they added expertise to defiance I think, or I just wasn't paying attention. I have 6 expertise now :D

Grabmill
01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
These are the scores I use for calculating the "threat score" on an item:

Strength: 25
Agility: 18
Block value: 20
Hit rating: 44
Crit rating: 24
Attack power: 10
Weapon DPS: 140
Expertise rating: 70

These numbers are based on doing some calculations on combat logs. Furthermore, I also give a few points to parry rating and defense rating, because after a parry, your next auto-attack will be a little bit quicker.

Parry rating: 5
Defense rating: 2

The numbers might be slightly different for everyone, depending on your gear and your rotation. Expertise might be a lot higher even, as I had quite a lot of expertise already when I did these calculations (and thus maybe don't gain the full dodge reduction anymore).