PDA

View Full Version : how to ID targets

ScientificLee
12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Guys,

I need some simple help. I run a 3v3 and a 2v2 team. I'm the one that calls the game including initial target and change of targets.

I'm a little iffy on recognizing the different types of builds ppl have before we engage in combat.

This is how I figure out which spec they are.

Warriors: Almost all of them are MS spec so no issues here.
Druid: Which form they prefer to be in.
Shamans: Earthshield and type of shield they are rocking.
Rogue: They are all secondary and I assume most are AR/PREP
Priest: Shadow form = spriest; otherwise Holy.
mage: If they have a water pet = frost. Otherwise, I have to wait for them to cast a spell. Most mages I run into are frost anyways.
Pally: Shield. Most are holy.
Hunter: Don't know anything about how to ID them.
Lock: This is the key class I want to be able to ID first. Most will be SL/SL. They will have a voidwalker. If they don't have a voidwalker and don't drain life I assume they are UA. If I ever see a UA lock in arena, that is my first target as they tend to go down fast.

klor
12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
one thing that jumps out at me...for the lock...look for the soul link buff...

Arlana
12-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd assume that priests are discipline if not in shadow form imo.

ScientificLee
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks

klor
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
getting a mod that tells their stats such as mana/hp/etc etc is a good way to tell as well. Such as if a paladin has way more mana than hp...typically a holy paladin. If they have way more hp than mana...typically a prot pally. Same with shaman...if they have a ton of mana...they are usually ele or resto...balanced is usually enhancement.

Colon
12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
True the most dangerous pvp priests now are discipline:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Demon+Soul&n=Heal

It took the entire 10 man WSG raid to "try" and take down this priest. Power Word: Shield + 428 resilience = lawlz Warrior can't kill me

Bulldozzer
12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
As a shaman, I have 11.4K life and 9K mana, and am elemental. Not always a good clue. Look for specific deep class buffs for the most accurate ways to tell.

Kininye
01-02-2008, 09:48 AM
If you use CowTip (http://files.wowace.com/CowTip/CowTip.zip) you can edit one of the display lines to show their talent distribution when moused-over (after a slight delay - it has to query the server):

Using http://www.wowace.com/wiki/LibDogTag-2.0/Tags you can derive the line:

[TalentTree] [TalentSpec:Paren]

which could translate to this on a shaman:

Elemental (41/0/20)

dotOrion
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Druid: leader of the pack aura = feral druid. Great when their buddy isn't stealthed - no fear of a rogue or resto/moonkin druid if you see the LotP buff on their unstealthed buddy.
Rogue: Daggers -> probably Shadowstep or as/sub hybrid , maces -> combat, swords -> combat or combat/sub hybrid.
Hunter: initial burst through a red pet & hunter = BM
Lock: SL buff to see if they're SL/SL, otherwise assume UA (destro isn't that great I hear)

Use Cowtip for easier identifying :p

ScientificLee
01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all this info. This is really good stuff.

Kazeyonoma
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Guys,

I need some simple help. I run a 3v3 and a 2v2 team. I'm the one that calls the game including initial target and change of targets.

I'm a little iffy on recognizing the different types of builds ppl have before we engage in combat.

This is how I figure out which spec they are.

Warriors: Almost all of them are MS spec so no issues here.
Druid: Which form they prefer to be in.
Shamans: Earthshield and type of shield they are rocking.
Rogue: They are all secondary and I assume most are AR/PREP
Priest: Shadow form = spriest; otherwise Holy.
mage: If they have a water pet = frost. Otherwise, I have to wait for them to cast a spell. Most mages I run into are frost anyways.
Pally: Shield. Most are holy.
Hunter: Don't know anything about how to ID them.
Lock: This is the key class I want to be able to ID first. Most will be SL/SL. They will have a voidwalker. If they don't have a voidwalker and don't drain life I assume they are UA. If I ever see a UA lock in arena, that is my first target as they tend to go down fast.

I'd agree, most good pvp priests now if not shadow are discipline.
For mages, you can tell by looking if they have the frost shield up, that's a dead giveaway to being frost, but also pay attention to buffs, they normally tell a lot of every class, likewise marksman hunters tend to be drain hunters, and in such they need to protect their viper sting, this normally leads to a scorpid pet, this is almost always an indication of a non-bm hunter. BM hunters tend to go for hard dps pets like cats or dragonhawks.
Locks, definitely look for their Soul Link buff.

The rest are basically the same as you stated.

Bones
01-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Mage: Look at their choice of bubble.

psychostomp
01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
For hunters 2 big things to look for are Spirit bond= BM trueshot=MM most people will dismiss a MM as harmless but remember they will have improved stings so more mana drain and also have silencing shot. plus they will most likely have more points in SV to improve their traps. This assumes a skilled hunter not a huntard of course.

Marn
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
This assumes a skilled hunter not a huntard of course.
You can identify these hunters as those who burn Readiness on Aimed Shot. ;)

psychostomp
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Also for ease of ID download the latest version of Proximo.
It has a movable box that ID's all the enemies you have seen with their name, class icon and spec(44/0/17) obviously if the is a stealthed target it will not give you their info but by looking at the other members of the grp you can usually figure out what you are facing.