PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Tankadins about Void Reaver

Nilya
12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a newer Protection Paladin in my guild, and he's not quite sure how to deal with the aggro mechanics of the Void Reaver encounter, that is to say, he doesn't really know how best to fight for aggro. Would any tankadins here happen to have any advice for him?

Nicki
12-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Let him go first =)

Tell him to put on some threat gear but try keep uncrushable.

All he has to do is spam his usuall rotations and put up JoC at the start. This way he should hold void on him for 30-60% of the fight or atleast thats the average. When Void reaver stops attacking him he needs to change to judge JoW and stand in the poundings and chain mana pots (nethergon energy is cheap!), then he needs to use SoR > JoR>Consecration(maybe not every cooldown its mana bitch)>Avengers shield and at the end hammer of wrath. And using threat consumeables helps. VR hits like a girl.

Give the paladin a miss direct and tell him to pop wings and you should have him on void reaver for 30% of the fight atleast. Then void reaver will return to him as long as he keeps using some skills.

Sanctity aura, Wrath of air totem, Windfury totem, Shadow priest are the buffs that help the most with off tanking.

Nickki

Worldie
12-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Let him go first will help him a lot.

Tell him to possibly downrank consecration (rank 4 is wonderful).
Tell him to save AW for when he has aggro and not waste it when he is not tanking.
Finally, see if in some way you can menage to give him a shadow priest, it's a huge help, believe me.

Nilya
12-25-2007, 03:42 AM
I should clarify we already have a tankadin in the usual tank rotation that still hovers around the 560 spell damage mark (used to be higher, he's finally seeing the benefit of stamina in his gear) and has no problem being the next tank on the list, even though I usually start off (that paladin has pulled Gruul off of me while on Hurtful Strike duty). The paladin in question is a newer member of the guild wearing largely Kara-quality "Warrior" tank gear and using a Continuum Blade, and probably has less than half the spell damage the incumbent Prot Pally does. Perhaps I should see what the Veteran one does as well?

Thanks for the suggestions though. We have a Resto Shaman stand in poundings and chain heal, so it would make sense to drop him in the group with the Pally and drop Wrath of Air. We only have one Shadow Priest though, and I'm hesitant to take him out of the healer group.

Merry Christmas as well.

Jnx
04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Our Pala starts the fight, cause we warriors will build up aggro a lot more faster.
He gets every misdirect and we use to put him in a caster group w/ shadow priest and ele shammy. That way he doesn't run out of mana and can keep up with the warrior threat quite good. Equip is T4/5 and badges.

Sindridae
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
My guild has just recently started hitting Void Reaver. We've got 4 tanks in the mix - myself (a prot paladin), a feral Druid, and two prot warriors. Typically, I start the VR fight. I keep him on me until he reaches about 70% health by using a normal rotation of Seal/Judgement of Righteousness, Consecrate, and Holy Shield (I have a retadin judge crusader). The key is maintaining uncrushability and a suitable HP pool while stacking spell damage - I run at around 400-450 +spell for this fight.

Once he switches to the Druid, I use Consecrate, Judgement of Righteousness, Avenger's Shield, and Avenging Wrath to maintain my place in the aggro queue while he's not on me. Notice: No Holy Shield during this phase. Damage during the pounds = more healing and therefore more mana regenerated. Also, I have ample mana pots with me, and pop one if my mana is getting low while he's on another tank. Typically he comes back to me at around 60% health, and bounces between me and the druid for the remainder of the fight. The warriors are usually all but non-entities for us in this fight, but they will occasionally save a Retadin/Enh Shammy/DPS warrior from a quick death before the Druid or I overtake them on the threat again.