PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Gear Rankings

Karnwield
12-15-2007, 07:22 PM
So I was just reading through Berg's Tank Gear Listings, and that is a great article it really is, and I am sticking too it with my warrior who is also a tank. However, I did notice that there is very little information currently available to this degree for paladin tanks. So I have to wonder.. does paladin and warrior gear overlap when it comes down to tanking? Can I get away with minimal intellect, stocking up on warrior tanking gear with a +spell damage weapon and still be considered a viable tank?

As it stands, I can currently tank all 5 man instances on normal with no difficulties, heroic dungeons are hurting me somewhat and I can OT KZ effectively.

Deemuhn
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
However, I did notice that there is very little information currently available to this degree for paladin tanks. So I have to wonder.. does paladin and warrior gear overlap when it comes down to tanking? Can I get away with minimal intellect, stocking up on warrior tanking gear with a +spell damage weapon and still be considered a viable tank?

First off, check out Maintankadin's Gear Forum (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewforum.php?f=3) for some solid information on Paladin gear rankings. There's a comprehensive guide to pre-raid tanking gear there, as well as a list of gear sorted by crush-immunity values (that is, avoidance and block summed).

That being said, tanking gear is tanking gear. If you can find a solid piece of tanking gear with spell-damage on it, great, but there are very limited amounts of gear that could be considered superior in that regard. The problem with most "Paladin" tanking gear is that the stats are simply spread to thin to be of any use for high end content. With a solid weapon and +40 spell damage enchanted, you'll be fine for most content, but make sure to stay up to date in this regard. The Gladiator's Gavels (of all seasons) are great for this purpose, as they have a solid amount of stamina and spell damage.

The limited amount of intellect you'll gain from most Paladin oriented pieces isn't even worth considering as you should be constantly getting mana back from Spiritual Attunement. More important than your maximum mana is the rate at which it flows. As long as your intake of mana from healing is close to your output, you'll be fine whether you have 4k mana or 8k.

Ultimately the type of gear you're wearing and choosing will depend mostly on the type of content you're trying to tackle. If you're having problems with damage intake in heroics, then you'll probably need to get some more mitigation heavy "warrior" gear. Gear with high amounts of spell damage and intellect is great for trash and 5-mans where the amount of damage taken isn't as great a worry. Having a few "Paladin" options allows you to swap certain pieces for threat or avoidance/mitigation as you see fit, and never forget the options for threat from enchants. +20 SD to gloves, +15 to bracers, +40 to weapon, and ultimately +2% threat to gloves when you're at a comfortable level of spell damage (typically > 200).