PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question about "tanking" weapon

Icarus
12-14-2007, 07:16 AM
With the enough parry chance and defense, it is possible to tank with a heavy dps weapon to exploit Devastate threat?

hbombs
12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
yes

veneretio
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm assuming you are meaning that could you use a Slow weapon instead. On certain fights such as Void Reaver when you are off-tanking and in a low to moderate rage situation this is a fantastic idea. However, in any standard Main Tank situation where you have a Moderate to High rage situation then you'll want a fast weapon because Heroic Strike spam is going to offer a lot more threat in this type of scenerio.

Dismember
12-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Most certainly, though I would further specify it to not just high DPS, but also slow attack speed, high top-end damage in the case of Devastate.

I have not been lucky enough to pick up The Sun Eater or King's Defender yet, and in general I like to itemize my weapon slot for threat gen, aside from certain encounters. Before 2.3 I was tanking with Malchazeen using an Improved HS type build. After the changes to Devastate and Weapon Expertise brought by 2.3, I switched to The Planar Edge (which I had previously considered much to slow to be a viable tanking weapon) and an Improved Sunder build. In general, I find that my threat has increased by about 200-300 TPS on most encounters.

Leytur
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Season 1 weapons, now available with honor, are excellent choices. I might pick one up if I drop BS. . . wait a second. . . new question

I have the T1 Swordsmith weapon right now. . . if I drop BS can I still use it? Do you need to be a master sword smith to USE it or just to MAKE it?

Dismember
12-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah, if you drop Swordsmithing you might as well vendor it.

Leytur
12-14-2007, 08:35 AM
If I drop BS it'll be to pick up enchanting so I think I'll save it for the 3 months it'll take to be able to break it. :)

veneretio
12-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Before 2.3 I was tanking with Malchazeen using an Improved HS type build. After the changes to Devastate and Weapon Expertise brought by 2.3, I switched to The Planar Edge (which I had previously considered much to slow to be a viable tanking weapon) and an Improved Sunder build. In general, I find that my threat has increased by about 200-300 TPS on most encounters.
Part of the reason you saw such a huge threat increase is that Daggers are terrible tanking weapons due to the way they calculate Attack Power.

From Armstrong's Devastate FAQ (http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/theory-articles-guides/31910-devastate-faq.html):
"Like many other "instant" melee attacks, Devastate calculates the damage bonus from Attack Power based on a formula that uses a "normalized" weapon speed. Blizzard implemented this is to reduce the viability gap between slow and fast weapons when used for "instant" attacks that are based on weapon damage. In other words, instant attacks using a slow weapon will still deal more damage than using a fast weapon, but the difference is not as big as it would be without the normalization. With all 1H weapons except daggers, the Attack Power component of Weapon Damage is calculated based on a speed of 2.4. With daggers the speed is 1.7."

So in other words, a 1.7 speed axe, sword, mace with the same dps as a 1.7 speed dagger is going to do a lot more damage when you hit Devastate.