PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Shear

Blightlenox
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I've been reading up on Illidan's Shear, and wondering about some of the mechanics of it.
I know for fact that it can be dodged and obviously it can be blocked, seeing as how thats the main way to counter it, but can it be parryed or Missed? I have yet to see either one happen. If it could I was thinking of a Passive Uncrush set. Any ideas or comments?

Melange
12-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I have not been there yet, but as far as I have heard, he does not crush, which allows you to time sheild block to avoid the shear. At the same time he hits very hard, making the passive uncrush set probably not ideal, even if it works.

Blightlenox
12-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I know it prob wouldnt be very effective, but the curious side of me wants to know if it can be parryed or Miss.

Galvan
12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Illidan's Shear can not miss. It can, however, be parried, dodged and blocked

Block is 100% so you basicly just put up shield block while he's casting, and you are in the clear. Easy as that

Therefore, having an uncrushable set doesn't work because 14% of that 102%is miss (correct me on the math if I'm wrong) so you HAVE to use shield block.

Blightlenox
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
All I asked was if it could be parryed or Miss. I stated in the first post i know about dodge and block.

Galvan
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Well. there is your answer

Narshe
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
I've found that wearing avoidance gear (while maintaining EH high enough) is very good for this boss. He doesn't hit harder than Mother Shahraz, but he uses both weapons to fight. The principal difference between gear needed for this fight against Mother's is that you have all healers on you and they won't be get mana burned so you don't need to keep a particular high stamina set as you are gonna get overhealed a lot.
Ive tried both high EH and high avoidance sets and at least for me avoidance went better. I run this fight with 20k hp buffed, around 19k AC, 31% dodge, 19% parry. Basicly this set: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=C%27Thun&n=Narshe but trading autoblocker for Moroes watch.

As the posters above told, Shear cannot miss and Illidan cannot crush so save your shield block for these casts.

Dots
12-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Minor nitpick: you would need 101.8%.

Even though Illidan swings very fast with two weapons, he doesn't actually suffer any dual wield penalty, just like Gurtogg. That said, avoidance is still very good in this encounter because of the attack speed.

Narshe
12-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Im pretty sure that Illidan suffers some kind of DW penalty. He misses too much that often I find myself rage starving (I've eated some shears because of this aswell -_-).

Dots
12-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Illidan doesn't really leave you rage starved. You pretty much always have enough rage to block Shear unless you blindly spam HS without watching your rage bar.
Check some WWS and you will see that his miss rate is the same as any boss that doesn't dual wield.

Narshe
12-17-2007, 12:09 AM
You are right, he doesn't have the missrate of a DW. But I can tell you its not the first time that I've popped the Scarab because of a parasite or flame thing -> 2-3 avoided attacks -> shear -_-