PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nalorakk and Brutal Swipe

Dismember
12-13-2007, 08:39 AM
If one of the tanks parries/dodges Brutal Swipe, does the other tank take the full brunt of the attack as if he was the only target in front of Nalorakk?

The reason I ask: I've hit ZA with my guild twice now. The first time we one-shot Nalorakk and Akil'zon with no issues (2 Prot warriors tanking). Last night with the same setup, Nalorakk repeatedly demolished us, for two reasons I was able to pinpoint.

First, we had a couple healers that were new to the encounter, and they had problems establishing a good heal rotation on the tank taking the bleeds from Nalorakk's bear form (me), so at times I would go 4-5 seconds between heals and get dropped from bleeds + attacks. From a tanking standpoint this does not concern me, and should cease to become a problem once said healers become familiar with the encounter.

Secondly, and what does concern me, has to do with my initial question. During three of our attempts, the other tank died from taking Brutal Swipes in the 12k-13k range. We were standing right on top of one another, so positioning was not an issue. However, in looking through the combat logs, I noted that on each of those three attempts, I either dodged or parried the Brutal Swipe that killed the other tank, leading me to think that because of that the other tank took the full brunt of the attack.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Taelas
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
If the other tank is a Tauren, that would be the problem. The Tauren hitbox is so large it can cover the entire cone for Brutal Swipe.

Dismember
12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Nope, he's undead.

On the hitbox occlusion issue: is it possible to stand too close together?

Taelas
12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Yes, I believe so.

Ruminator
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I've had the same problem on Nalorakk and Halazzi (where my OT and I are on top of each other and I eat the entire swipe). When we are right next to each other, it seems to be ok on both encounters.

Dismember
12-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. Next time we head in I'll make sure there's a bit of distance between us.

Rak
12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
The first week ZA was out, one of our rogues mentioned that people on EJ thought it might work like you say - you parry it, and the other tank eats the full damage. So we specifcally watched for it, and I had many instances where I parried the attack and the other tank still took half damage.

Bonerot
12-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I had actually looked in our combat logs when one of our high avoidance tanks went to see. I can't tell where they were standing from the logs obviously but if one of them dodges the other still only takes half damage.

Dismember
01-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Follow up:

Our next time in ZA the other tank and I spread apart a bit (about a yard or so) and we didn't have any problems with the Brutal Swipes, and Nalorakk went down like the punk he is.

However, last weekend when we hit Nalorakk, we were again having problems. The other tank and I started with the same spacing as our last attempt, and he was again eating entire Brutal Swipes. So, we tightened our spacing up a bit (elbow-touching distance, I guess), and STILL, every couple Swipes, he would eat the whole thing.

I'm really at a loss at this point. What really puzzles me is that it's ALWAYS the other tank that eats the entire Swipe. It's never me. Has anybody else had problems with this?

Taelas
01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
That sounds really odd. I'm at a loss as to explain it, I'm afraid. :/

Muggs
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I ate a couple of swipes when I was standing about 1 yard too far to the left of the bear tank, wasn't much fun, never seemed to eat one if we were stacked on top of each other (human pally + feral). Of course, there was that time on the first pull when my feral tank decided to stand behind Nal >.<