PDA

View Full Version : Shield block value

maurilious
12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
I've been reading alot of guides and theory concerning avoidance and EH tanking, still i have not quite understood the role of SBV in the calculations. I do know it plays a part in increasing the dmg of my ss and thats all good, but hows does it inflict mitigation? I'm currently the MT of a low pop. guild whoes only recently started raiding. we've downed kara and gruul, currently we're on Halazzi(lynxboss in ZA) and i want to be able to swallow some more of the crazy damage. I've been building up two gear sets, 1 with high stam and armour. 1 with a bit more sbv and expertise/hit rate. the question is, what stats do i want the most for fights like Halazzi? The jungle stompers dropped yesterday, but i have the battlescar boots and really like the parry it offers, but on the other hand, would the extra armour +5 stam and some sbv be more benifital for fights were the tank needs to soak(or avoid?) alot of damage?

anyone?

Paumedie
12-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Shield block value obviously directly reduces the amount of incoming damage from blocked attacks. SBV is stupidly effective vs mobs that don't hit terribly hard, but the % damage reduction from SBV decreases as you face mobs that hit harder and harder.

Stamina and armor are the way you want to go for learning encounters in the vast majority of situations (assuming the items you're comparing are similar in item level).

Shortypop
12-13-2007, 06:45 AM
If you're OT'ing lynx (ie. only there to help with the saber lashes and the add) I'd recommend stacking some extra dodge - you won't need to generate huge threat and dodging the odd saber lash can help your healers a lot. I know you said you were MT but if you've a feral OT this is a good fight for the druid to MT.

maurilious
12-13-2007, 07:28 AM
i see your point. In my question regarding the boots, would you think its benifital to trad 0.90% parry for 47sbv, 5 stam, and 3,54 SBR on my normal raid gear?

Narshe
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
If you're OT'ing lynx (ie. only there to help with the saber lashes and the add) I'd recommend stacking some extra dodge - you won't need to generate huge threat and dodging the odd saber lash can help your healers a lot. I know you said you were MT but if you've a feral OT this is a good fight for the druid to MT.
And isn't it better stacking armor so all your hits would be at reduced damage instead of increase the chance of not eating the hit by a low margin?
Lynx is one of those examples where EH makes the difference over avoidance.