PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggested gear goals

Thunck
12-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Hello all. I'm new to posting but I'm a pretty long time fan of the site and the forums. I'm an up and coming raid tank for an EST server and I've just recently moved to Japan. Of course this puts a damper on my raid options with my guild due to timezone contraints. I'm currently only able to do Kara runs with the possibility of ZA once I get some gear upgrades. My question is what should I shoot for in heroics or from badges? PvP is also an option, just a hard one since I have very little experience in PvP.

My armory is linked in my signature below. Also what you don't see is that I have a few other pieces of gear that I'm not sure would be better or worse. For example I have the Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden with full stamina sockets, I have the Battlescar Boots with full stamina sockets, Gromtar's Charge with Mongoose, and I have the Saberclaw Talisman from Aran.

Again my current choices are Kara, Heroics, and Badges. I'm thinking I could use the ring from Aran, the BP from Nightbane, and the legs from Curator, but I'm not sure if they are better than the badge BP and legs. Also would the T4 helm be worth going for over the Eternium?

Thanks for any and all inputs!

Dubbleutyeff
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Some suggestions (in no particular order) would be the tanking belt for 60 badges, the Season 2 arena tanking shield, the Sun Eater from Heroic Mech, the Auto-Blocker trinket for 41 badges or build the Lunacy Deck, gather the mats and get an engineer to make a Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer, the tanking legs for 75 badges, and even the pally tanking chest piece for 75 badges. The T4 helm is definately an upgrade, especially w/ the set bonus.

Mordigen
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I would just suggest getting whatever you can get from Kara, collect your badges and fill the gaps. If you have the legs from curator, maybe get the belt from badges first to maximize you set in the least amount of time. Most of the badge gear is an upgrade to Kara, but if you have 2 set of epic legs, and a blue quest reward belt, it is minimal upgrade as opposed to using badges on something that needs the upgrade more and you can eventually go back and get whatever badge rewards you want anyways.

Andromedea
12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi there, I'm probably at the same level raid wise as you. What I chose to do was to do Kara every week and replace as many of my blues with Kara epics as I could.

(After all, we always speak as if we had a choice in terms of Kara drops when the reality is we are completely at the mercy of the Random Number Generator)

After a number of Kara runs, when it became clear certain items were just not dropping for me (e.g. Panzathar and Wrynn's) I decided to get those from Badges. There isn't any good tanking cape in Kara imo, so I'm using Devilshark which is an uber blue, planning to replace with the Badge cape (Slikk's).

TLDR: I agree with Mordigen.

Thunck
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I was thinking that the badge armor would be better than trying to do Kara over and over again hoping for drops, but I wasn't 100%. The auto-blocker or the lunacy deck? That is another unsure decision for me. I like the stamina from Lunacy but I'm unsure if the threat from the auto-blocker would be a greater improvement overall. I guess both would be ideal, the auto-blocker for more threat and avoidance build and the lunacy deck for health and mitigation. I'm still confused on when to use avoidance gear over mitigation and health sets though. I guess when healing because easy but threat becomes an issue that is the time to use the avoidance gear. Again that's for the suggestions and keep'em coming. I'm always open to theories and techniques on tanking.

Andromedea
12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm a Effective Health fan myself. ;p

I think that stacking stam + armor is best for me because although I'm a bit harder to heal, I have more rage to use my threat generating abilities.

Eventually you will get all the badge items plus most of the Kara drops, so right now I guess just get what will round out your total stats best. :)

Mordigen
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree the badge armor is definitely better for most pieces and the progression and EH set, but if you can get Kara gear as a start while earning upwards of 22 badges if you can clear the whole place, you will upgrade your armor faster, and be able to get the badge rewards as well.

I have joined forces with the EH gear set crowd now as well, and badge rewards have been filling that set nicely. The cloak from the badges is definitely worth it when you can get it too.