PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid builds question

Monad
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I've seen this concept brought up before but I'm looking for some input on the matter of Prot/DPS builds.

Is a Prot/DPS build viable for OT in 25 mans?

I'm a CL and MT for our Guild, we have 3 other dedicated Prot Warriors, 2 hybrids. The 2 hybrids, when prot tended to get sidelined alot but with a Hybrid build I can see them as being more viable when we don't need the raw TPS and survivability.

People in my guild have argued the Hybrid builds take alot more damage and generate alot less TPS. Yet, the Warriors have about 23 pts into the Prot tree for survivability and Threat. I really don't see too much more damage reduction beyond Shield Spec, Imp Def. stance and Vitality. Same goes for Threat, they'll never generate the Threat of a Prot Warrior but with the 2.3 changes it seems they have a much better ability to generat adequate Threat, especially when they're not the first target for the DPS.

So is Prot/dps viable for the OT's or should it be pure Prot or pure DPS? Furthermore if Hybrids are viable, Arms or Fury, which one is more practical as the dps portion of the tree?

Sorry if I've brought up an old question. I'd just like to see some input on some of the specific questions.

mattdeeze
12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
There is no reason that a hybrid can't offtank. The problem lies in the gear.... If they have had a chance to get good tanking gear, then they can probably pull it off. If they don't, then they will be taking a lot more damage than a full prot tank that has been building his gear up thru progression.

Taelas
12-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Hybrid specs are viable, but if they are only off-tanks and are never put into a main-tank role, they will be better off as pure DPS. There is preciously little damage mitigation for OTs in the Protection tree, and as OTs, they shouldn't need that much threat. All they really require is the tanking gear.

It's a fine line to walk.

Nilya
12-10-2007, 05:10 AM
I think the way that most trees become more specialized as you go deeper into them, you're cheating yourself with a spread hybrid build like the old 31/5/15 builds that were so popular before TBC. Anything that requires the threat generation of a full-prot tank is best handled by one specced fully into Prot. A 17/44 Warrior is more than capable of picking up trash in good gear and holding that mob's attention til the DPS is done with them.

Most DPS specs shine most when no points are spent in Prot at all.

Melange
12-10-2007, 07:49 AM
IMO, don't do it.

We have one warrior who is Tank and DPS. What we do, is whenever he is needed to switch, the guild leader gives him 100g, we put up a portal and summon him back. There are very few places where you are going from needing say, 4 tanks to suddenly only needing 1, so the respecs should not have to happen all that often. Usually you will not need to respec actually durring a raid.

I think the only time that it would happen very often, was for Vashj. For Vashj, we had both paladin tanks respec healing, if we needed them in the raid, and we had one warrior respec DPS, with the other warrior and me tanking.

Monad
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the input

Yeah, hybrid builds aren't really gonna shine in either dps or tanking. Was wondering if they could adequately apply themselves to both with the right gear.

Unfortunately respeccing chronically isn't too much of an option. It doesn't take a whole lot of time. But it feels cumbersome and well, expensive even for the guild to absorb the cost.