PDA

View Full Version : Convince me please (talents again)

Naka
12-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually, I'm pretty happy with my current build. I never really have aggro problems on bosses, though i do on trash sometimes. Which is not critical, as even heroics became ridiculously easy overall.
But still, somehow i feel i could do better. Basically, i want to optimize my talents for raiding (currently working on Nightbane). More precisely, i want to take Improved HS (2 or 3 points) and Anger Management in (or at least give them a try).

This is my current build: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Die+Silberne+Hand&n=Janaka)

My problem is to decide what i should drop.

Improved Taunt? Definetely. Don't really need that any more. But that's only one point, i need at least 3.

Improved Shield Bash? Rather not. Although it's useless for bosses, i like to be able to move caster mobs around and it's nice in PvP. Guess i just got used to it too much over time.

Improved Bloodrage? Rather not. I like to Commanding-Shout at the start of a fight and still have enough rage for a good opener. And I like the extra rage when i pop it up due to an avoidance series.

Tactical Mastery? Well, I thought this was the most likely to drop, until we fought Nightbane for the first time yesterday. It was really good to be able to pop shield block again immediately after a stancedance and in that same second smash a shield slam in his bony face. I know, I spend 99% of the time in Defstance, but Tactical Mastery just makes me feel much much more flexible.

Anticipation? I'm way beyond crit cap, but after all, this is 1% avoidance and it gives some space if I ever have to gear for resistance.

I'm pretty sure, Improved HS and Anger Management will do good for me... I just did not have the heart to drop one of those beloved and familiar talents so far.
So, convince me please, to just do it, and tell me, which one you would drop and for what reason. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Beertap
12-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Tactical Mastery - You still regain 10 rage from switching stances, which is more than enough for a Shield Block.

Improved Taunt - Most raid bosses are immune to Taunt. Just make sure your DPS isn't trigger happy.

Improved Shield Bash - 3 seconds of Silence is nice for PvP, but that's all it does. All raid bosses are Immune to this effect and on trash it doesn't really matter.

If you aren't doing SSC/TK, I'd say drop Improved Defensive Stance. Before this, there really aren't any fights in which you get hit for large amounts of damage. It is nice for PvP though.

Put 5 points into Cruelty - As a Prot Warrior you generally run around with very low crit chance (5%-7%), this essentially doubles it and gives you a nice chunk of rage. I believe this does more than 2 points in Improved Heroic Strike and Anger Management.

My personal raiding spec is
WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500030000000000000000005200000000000 00000000055511033001103531351)
Which was made exclusively for MT'ing with survivability in mind and then threat.

Mordigen
12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
I ended up getting rid of tactical mastery, since like you said, nightbane is really the only fight were I have been using it, and after you pop berserker rage and switch back, I can pop shield block, get hit and receive a large chunk of rage back from berserker rage still being up and you are back on track just like you were before.

Wartorn
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0czZVZbAtoIMzcxst)

Threat heavy spec. Feel free to move the two points from improved taunt to whatever talent you prefer.

Taelas
12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I've never used Improved Shield Bash and I've never felt the lack. *shrug* I consider it a completely useless talent.

My personal "favorite" spec at the moment is 12/5/44 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0czZVZbEtoI0zcxst).

Satrina
12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with improved taunt. There's a good argument in the "90% trash, 10% boss" that people throw around in favour of keeping it. On the other hand, the only time you really ever lose aggro on trash is things with spell damage school vulnerabilities or aggro drops. You can really argue either way through all content.

Signu
12-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Norrath and I have almost exactly the same spec. I have to agree, I love it. By far my favorite tanking spec.
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0czZVZbAtoIMzcxst)

Ceravantes
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I never saw the point to anger management in a tanking build, and never saw a use in pve for imp sheild bash at all. Atleast never one that warranted the 2 points, I would like to get imp hs, but I would rather have the points in imp defensive atm.

Wartorn
12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Anger management is 20 rage per minute.

Imp. SB is nice for 5/10 mans, but you're right, mostly a pvp talent.

Crimsonstorm
12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
12/5/44 is superior to all other builds :)

TM is almost worthless for tanking, and same with Imp shield bash.
Imp taunt is a good 5 man talent but not good enough in raids.