PDA

View Full Version : Badge upgrades

Mordigen
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
I have been clearing Kara for some time now, but I have not had the opportunity to see [Panzar'Thar Breastplate] and I was catching hell about considering taking [Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian] since it is a pally chest, even though I am not stealing it from anyone. I have been trying to decide if I should get [Unwavering Legguards] as an upgrade from [Wrynn Dynasty Greaves] and just wait for Panzar'Thar to drop or [Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian] upgrade from [Breastplate of the Bold]. Just hoping for some input on Stoic Guardian as a warrior chest and which might be a better selection for me. Thanks.

Kazeyonoma
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
its a damn good chest, if it'll be a huge upgrade for you in eh and defense, why not take it, let the haters hate youre the one downing bosses.

Beertap
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
I'd aim for the more Warrior orientated badge pieces first. You never know if your next Nightbane kill will drop your chestpiece. You could also work your way towards Zul'jin, Magtheridon or craft BotAK like I did. My advice is to not be too hasty about it.

dude
12-04-2007, 08:37 AM
My amorory is being slammed right now so I can't really check you out. But I will say a few things on the question in general.

1) Some of the "Best" warrior tanking gear--has been made for Pally =/ At least at certain levels. Just be thankful you won't look like a power ranger if you wear it.

2) If you have those legs and the Bold BP...that Chest, imo, would be a bigger UG for you. BUT--don't overlook other areas to improve that chest from. I am not sure on your professions, but personally I like the improved Kings one just for the 2nd "last stand" button it puts in.

Of course I am also silly like that and built my first tanking set out of PvP gear and quest blues.

Check out the gear rankings and use that for a loose "shopping list" for you. (Again wish I could help more but with Armory being "503" on my end...kinda doing this in the dark).

Brucimus
12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I dont know if you go to BG's or Arena ..but I have been using the Season 2 chest Merciless Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece for a while now. 1700AC and 60Stam with 3 open sockets makes a nice tanking piece that will help your threat too with it's +hit and crit on it

gazhkull
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
One of our guild's MTs took that pally chest since he could never get panzar'thar to drop (drops for everybody else, just not him). It's working out fine except for the inevitable ribbing.

Lotuseyes
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I would say to go for the chest piece, as it is a massive upgrade over Bold even with the useless stats.

I have a similar problem with badge upgrades, and am looking for a bit of input. Currently, I have the Crimson Girdle of the Indomitable and Wrynn Dynasty Greaves. For an upgrade, I wanted to get the Unwavering Legguards since the stats are so nice. These would boost my HP over 16,000, increase my block value over 350, and increase block rating by ~3%, but drop my dodge to low 20% or upper 19%ish. If I got T5 (I am next on the list) shoulders, this would drop even lower until I could scrape up the badges for the waist. I am unsure whether or not this would be acceptable for a T5 content tank. If I got Iron-tusk Girdle, I would be able to maintain dodge rating > 20%.

Short Version: Would it be acceptable to dip below 20% dodge to gain a few hundred hp, ~75 block value, and ~3% block. Any help is awesome :).

Kazeyonoma
12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
yes lotus, all you ever trully need is 15% dodge/parry each. Anything after that is not necessarily bad, but not necessarily needed either.

I've tanked a lot of encounters, and never had a moment where i wish i had more dodge or more parry to help kill that boss. It's always, and i mean ALWAYS another factor than that.

Think of it this way.

That few hundred hp, and few hundred block value. Is there. It's always there, you get hit, you still have the hundred hp. You don't get hit, you still have it.

Everytime you shield slam, the 75 blockvalue is there. Everytime you get hit (should have shield block up right?) that 75 block value is there.

But even if you have 98% chance to dodge.

When that hit comes through. All 98% of that, was a waste.

Lotuseyes
12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, i'll go with my initial hunch then. I'll be getting the legs this week after Karazhan.

Thanks for the fast response :D

Thaug
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
So I reckon I am facing the same dilemma... I currently have the Felsteel Leggings and the Breastplate of the Bold and I don't really see any upgrades to either around the corner since I am not raiding at the moment. Any thoughts on which to get? In a way it feels wrong to get stuff with pally stats but I think it might be the bigger upgrade... Thanks in advance for your two cents.

Crimsonstorm
12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Get badge legs because theyre insanely good.

The if you havent gotten a better chest, get S3 chest, I'm using that to tank currently, with 3 stam gems. Tons of armor and stam.

Kazeyonoma
12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
yeh, pally chest first thaug, its a huge upgrade, even if its got pally spell damage, who cares, the rest of the stats make up for it, then definitely get the legs, its a huge upgrade.

Crimsonstorm
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Short Version: Would it be acceptable to dip below 20% dodge to gain a few hundred hp, ~75 block value, and ~3% block. Any help is awesome :).

Lotus, I have 13.8% dodge. And I MT all of the T5 content....because I have, fully buffed, 23k hp, 22k armor, 700 block value.

The dodge doesnt matter. I always give my healers time to heal me. Thats what they are there to do. And by not dodging those hits I get consistent rage that I use to heroic strike on most attacks and generate 1000-1200 TPS.

Mordigen
12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses and advice. I ended up going with the unwaivering legs, and sure enough, the next Kara run after I got then, the Panzar'thar chest dropped, so it all worked out anyways. Probably save up for the belt now, or might just jump early and get the bracers.

I pretty much went with the same idea as crimson, wait on the chest since panzar has shield block and the badge has the dodge, and same idea with the legs, keep the stam and block. So far it has been working.

steadymobn
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
check out the badge pally boots, have BV and def, and high stam and 2 sockets, lol, those are decent

if you dont want to go for dodge, maybe stay away from the badge belt, get the expertise bracers/neck if you havent yet...

Thaug
12-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks a lot for your input! Why do you reckon the chest first Kazeyonoma? To be honest I have had my mind set on the Stoic Guardian all the time but when I finally got around to it I hesitated... It seems to me that even though the chest is a bigger upgrade right now, the legs are to keep for good. Am I wrong here? I also like the shield block value to add to my shield slams but that is more on a side note I guess... How come block value does not seem to be included in tank points by the way? Isn't that mitigation as good as any? Questions, questions... :-)

Mordigen
12-11-2007, 05:35 AM
With the amount of stamina you can get out of the legs, with the added block rating and value, the legs are definite keepers for a while I am sure. The comparison of dodge to block rating and value can be found all over these forums, the issue seems to come up a lot, but I looked at it as, there is a much closer comparison between the chest you can get in Kara providing the stats that I was looking for in a progressing guild taking on new harder bosses, where the stoic guardian with the dodge might be more of a trash mob set or a piece that would be better used once you had the new bosses down easier. I am looking more at a strong EH set with block value to help with threat, but if you are building more of an avoidance set for tanking then the stoic guardian might be the better choice for you then.

Nambey
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I recently went through the same decision process and went with the badge chest piece. It is a huge upgrade over Bold, and I already had Wrynn Dynasty so I figured I could wait on pants. Besides, we are on Aran at the moment, so I won't be seeing the Kara chest for quite awhile. Now I'll save for the belt and gloves since Moroes and Maiden have been uncooperative so far.