PDA

View Full Version : The 3 Keys to killing Hydross

veneretio
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
1. Have as much Resistance as possible.
Over 300 buffed is a good place to be. 365 is best ;)

2. Be uncrittable
490 Defense, 471 Defense with S2 Gladiator Shield. This is more important than extra Resistance.

3. Have 2 Hunters so you can misdirect both transitions.
If you only have 1 Hunter, the misdirect should be used during the Poison to Water Transition.

maddfez
12-04-2007, 08:58 AM
If we only have one MD, we use it on poison to water as well. Most of our dps is on the poison side the whole fight. If someone screws up the transition and the dps has aggro, if it's water to poison we'll just lose a couple dps'ers. If it's the poison to water transition and a dps gets aggro, Hydross will re-transition and then we're probably wiped.

Nez
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
You can lessen your worries about pulling Hydross to the wrong side by having the aggro sensitive DPS, and MT healers move to next side, right before you transition him. Then it is never a problem. DPS should be "off" when moving him anyways, so the only outside threat would be the Healers. So, if they are already moved to the correct side, its not a wipe if they momentarily pull him at the switch. We did not have any hunters when learning him, so that was a big help to us. One big key was to get people used to waiting for the Emote he does, that is the signal for the change.
:cool:

Oda
12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Elixir of Ironskin is a really nice boost, as well, and depending on which gear it lets you swap in and out, it + another Elixir can sometimes gain you more HP than a flask.

If you have a Paladin MTing Hydross, be very careful with threat, as they lose all aggro generation from Holy Shield, since Hydross is unblockable. We usually saved our Misdirects for our Paladin tank (though he was, admittedly, the frost tank).

Lollo
12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
2 things that I found out to be useful during the transition:

1. Make sure Shamans keep their Searing Totem under control.

2. Use Intercept for transition. You gain some more seconds of DPS on Hydross while tranistion still is safe.

Irenius
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
During the transition I normally just follow Hydross and just start spamming devastate. So I'll save up 100 rage during my off phase and then when the transition is happening I'll get to my spot and then go crazy on threat gen. Also it helps if the tank strafe runs cause Hydross will swap phases further into his "zone".

Narshe
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Tell ur DPS to act not retarded and cross the flags so, if they get aggro, Hydross don't cross the path and start a transition. Remember that always there is a chance of getting parried, misdirection missed or a big heal. If they are in the same side as Hydross, the chance to wipe are drastically reduced.

Snum
12-13-2007, 11:17 AM
How much HP should I try and stay above?

Figuring out what I have and what gear I can get crafted, I can be at 490 defense, 287 FrR, but only 12.4k HP.

I am able to get over 16k in normal gear and still be over 500 defense.

Sandmann
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
In NR gear i have 494 Def 270NR and about 13k Hp Unbuffed worked fine for me the ~2-3times i killed him, i have all craftet epics including ring + an cloak of entropie + NR enchant, also NR on head and 30/10 stam/agi on pants, but might get another 15 NR for 365Resi

Clifford
02-04-2008, 02:10 AM
To me the additional key to this fight is getting people to cross the boundary line in case they pull agro. The timings I use are:
(1) Stop dots 5 seconds before 100%
(2) Raid to cross transition line at 100%
(3) Stop dps 7 seconds before 250%.

Ceravantes
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Stopping DPS before the 250% mark is relative to your raid, the guild I ran on Tichondrius we would have to stop early, maybe 10 seconds, because some people just couldn't lsiten/pay attention. The guild we transfered to join will dps until about 1 second left till 250% mark and not have a single problem with the transition.

Notalda
02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
A different opinion than the OP's:

Both me (NR tank) and the FrR tank have 300-ish resistance unbuffed, and about 450 defense. We've been farming Hydross with that gear and never had any problems so far.

As for the DPS, they move along (or shortly behind/ahead) of the tank upon transition, so even if they do aggro, Hydross will not change forms again. The offending DPSer can FD/IB/Bubble or just die, 'till the tank picks Hydross up again.

This way they don't have to stop DPSing at all, if they can wipe their threat, and only for 1-2 seconds during the transition. Not to mention that if they move behind the tank, they probably won't be DPSing, which solves the issue anyway!

Clifford
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
A different opinion than the OP's:

Both me (NR tank) and the FrR tank have 300-ish resistance unbuffed, and about 450 defense. We've been farming Hydross with that gear and never had any problems so far.

Both myself and the frost tank have 295-299 resistance unbuffed. We are also both "uncrittable". The only people that tend to die are AoE'ers if the adds aren't properly managed.

adamb10
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I tank hydross w/ 450 defense and dont get Crit. Go for the extra resistance.

Clifford
02-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Hydross does negligible damage in my experience - the druid OTs have a tougher job.

veneretio
02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
This is a risky strategy that will eventually backfire on you after farming him enough.

adamb10
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
This is a risky strategy that will eventually backfire on you after farming him enough.

Found out last week about that. Hydross crit me twice in the fight for 6K ea.

mictavis
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Is Hydross and/or his adds special and melee attacks damage mitigated by armor?

Armstrong
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Is Hydross and/or his adds special and melee attacks damage mitigated by armor?

Armor has no effect whatsoever in that fight. My NR set still includes a pair of mail gloves, but they might as well be cloth.