PDA

View Full Version : So my guild wants to start Kara and I am MT....

Felsen
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Hello there!

I am new to this forum and first of all i would like to thank you all for this amazing website which helped me a lot while leveling my warrior. Especially the "easy pre Kara gear" guide was a great help to gear up once at 70. :>

Now the time has come that my guild would like to start Kara sooner or later and we currently do heroics and normal 5 mans to gear people up.

It usually no problem for me to tank heroics but still I would like to get confirmation from you experts that I am ready for Kara stats wise.

Please find below my armory profile:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Felsen

Unfortunately it did not get updated yet.

This is my current stats ingame with commanding shout:

13136 Armor
516 Defense
15.93% Dodge
16.77% Parry
16.64% Block

I just got Lion´s Heart Girdle (Lion's Heart Girdle - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29238)) from Heroic Ramparts and according to your gear lists this is a good update to my Sha´tari vindicator´s wristguard ( Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31460)) even though I lose a lot of Block value and chance to Block.

In addition to that I exchanged Andormu´s Tear ( Andormu's Tear - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29323)) with Protector´s Mark of Redemption (Protector's Mark of the Redemption - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31078))

Could anyone please let me know if this gear will work for Kara or if there are still gaps which I need to fill with better gear before we give it a try?

I am currently using the Tank Points addon to check and validate my gear and especially new pieces of gear. Can you recommend the tool?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Fel(sen)

Flarestream
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Felsen, your stats look fine for starting as a MT in Karazhan. EU armory appears to be down at the moment so I wasn't able to look at that. You didn't list your total health but the number you should be looking for is about 12000 health unbuffed.

All in all though you should be fine, give it a shot, have some fun. Keep running heroics though, a lot of the new gear is better then anything you will find in Kara.

Felsen
12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Felsen, your stats look fine for starting as a MT in Karazhan. EU armory appears to be down at the moment so I wasn't able to look at that. You didn't list your total health but the number you should be looking for is about 12000 health unbuffed.

All in all though you should be fine, give it a shot, have some fun. Keep running heroics though, a lot of the new gear is better then anything you will find in Kara.

Argh,

forgot the most important stat! :mad:

I got 13136 HP with Commanding Shout atm.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Taelas
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Your armor is the same as your health?

Felsen
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Your armor is the same as your health?

Hey again and sorry for the slow response.

Armor: 13116
HP: 12720 unbuffed

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Ozymandius
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I just did my first Kara run as MT on Saturday and my stats are about 12400 base health and 12700 base armor, 502 defense and roughly 16.9% dodge, 16.7% parry and 18.7% block and I did not have any major issues downing Attumen or tanking the rare spawn spider or wolf or any of the trash.
My biggest issue was the feral druid who was also the tank seemed to catch me in aggro on Attumen and I was never able to catch him once he passed me. We are a small guild so on our first run we only had 9 people and downed 2 silvers and Attumen. Moroes was not a fun encounter with 9 people (1 priest and no locks) so we decided to clear to the maiden then had a druid aggro the Maiden when moving into position (I only said hug the walls like 5 times) but overall it was a good raid. I think your stats look fine for tanking at least the stuff I said, and I have no experience past that so I will let the more knowledgeable tanks comment.

Bonerot
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I had problems with druids taking agro too easily when I first started kara (this is a moroes problem not a huntsmen problem). Make sure to start with a shield slam then 5x dev or ss, dev, dev, dev, ss, dev, dev.

It's hard learning to be an OT and not unintentionally passing another tank especially when your threat gen is higher. Tell the druid to back off a bit and stay below you.

Not sure why you are fighting for agro on the huntsmen though. He should tank midnight while you tank the huntsmen (disarm him). Then when they go back together you should pick them up and he should switch to kitty mode.

If you are OTing and want to show off your superior threat generation just stay at 100% of the MT's threat and ride his ass. He'll know that it's his threat thats capping the fight not yours. Stealing agro off the fights designated main tank is just poor playing and can lead to wipes no differently then if a dpser did it.

12k/12k & 490 def is more then enough for starting kara MTing, I did prince with little more then that.

Mordigen
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
That sounds like good stats to me too. You should be fine as long as you have good healers that stay on the ball, and you will be making progress before you know it. As for the OT pulling, just try to be nice and make sure he knows that if you are the designated MT than he needs to be making sure that stays the case, because healers having to switch targets can screw things up fast, and like stated already, the druid should be going to cat form once Attunman mounts up, dps race then, no need for bear.

Ozymandius
12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
INot sure why you are fighting for agro on the huntsmen though. He should tank midnight while you tank the huntsmen (disarm him). Then when they go back together you should pick them up and he should switch to kitty mode.

I can't blame him for this. I had never worked with him before as he is new to the guild and since we had not ever been in Kara before I told him to fight for aggro just to make sure if I was unable to tank it well enough we had less of a chance of wiping. Next time we go through I will ask him to go kitty after the merge.

nethervoid
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
It's a good strat for the OT to hold close to you on threat in case you go down on new content, but he shouldn't be so close as to pull from you. Practice will probably smooth it out.

Maiden hits like a truck. At least she did when I was in gear like yours. Make sure you keep shield block up to avoid as many crushes as possible. Without crushes, you should be able to do most of Kara. Keep working on heroic gear. Get the new badge legs, chest, cape, or belt. They're huge already, but much bigger when they replace a quest blue.

In the mean time, hopefully Attuman will drop you the bracers, Moroes his watch and belt, and Maiden her gloves and neck. I have downed those bosses at least 5 or 6 times and have only seen Maiden's gloves twice. Last Friday I did a full clear, and Maiden's gloves were the only tank loot to drop from all 11 bosses, and I already have them in the bank and T4 on my hands. Damn my luck. lol