PDA

View Full Version : Which tree of blacksmithing?

Deathmethod
11-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I've gotten my blacksmithing to 360 but I still haven't picked whether to go weapon or armorsmithing. That and if I go weapon smithing which way to go.

I was going to go swordsmithing because I like Sword spec (personal prefrence) although I don't think I want to work that hard for the 2h because I am almost grabbing the 2h S1 sword, and I'm going to arena more. The 1h doesn't really help either since I already have Sun Eater and when I actually upgrade the BS sword I could probably get a better one from raids. I was thinking mace because of the 1h maces for Fury. (not a big fan of thunder series)

Then again I was looking at the armor smithing things and the DPS gear you can make there is pretty nice. Beats a lot of my pocket Fury gear. Although I am prot right now and am probably going to focus on that first.

All feedback is much appreciated, although I may not respond because I have to get off the computer for a while.

Saeval
11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I think Armorsmith is better. King's Defender is easy enough to get, and arena gear is now beginning to surpass even the best of the Blacksmithing crafted weapons. However, the Armorsmith breastplate is still among the best in the game, for both tanking and DPS (depending on how you gem and enchant).

veneretio
11-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Honestly, Blacksmithing just isn't worth it these days. The S3 Arena Chest is better than the 3rd Armorsmith chestpiece. Raiding and PvP offer numerous superior weapons to Swordsmithing. In general, BS needs a 4th tier available in t5 level content (or at least in t6 level content) in order to be still worth pursuing.

Personally, I'd go the route of Hammersmith since the 3rd 1 hander is great for dps. :/

Nez
11-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm a swordsmith. I have Blazefury and Lionheart Champion. But since 2.3 I tank with the Mallet of the Tides for the expertise on it over Blazefury's +hit. So NOW there are ample weapons out there now, as good or better than the Smith ones for tanking. So I'm not really sure it matters as much. I would prob go Hammer for the mace, or Armor for the Chest as previously suggested if you don't want to Arena to get the Arena rewards.

Nez
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I thought later to add this... it is not hard to change specializations, if you later decide you want to change.

Deathmethod
11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I thought later to add this... it is not hard to change specializations, if you later decide you want to change.

Really? I thought that I heard a while ago that even if you unlearn blacksmithing and relearn it, you cannot change which path you take in the end.

Well... now I'm starting to wonder, as much as I would hate it, should I change my profession? Preferably Eng/JC so I don't have to level another gathering prof again. Would it be more worth it now that S3 came out, and I should have a decent team soon. So I doubt I will need the armor or weapons.

If so which would you recommend for tanking, since that's what I need the most upgrades for. JC for making gems that I need, Eng for some nice PvP and just usefulness, or even Enchanting so I don't have to rely on others for enchants.

DPS is something I MAY try sometime and I will probably just use S3 gear when I get it, since I still don't think it will be too hard to get (especially how bad my battlegroup is). I doubt I will be able to switch to DPS for raids until I have gear that nice anyway. xD

Crimsonstorm
11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Armorsmith is terrible.

S3 chest is better than the Breastplate of the Ancient Kings both for dps and tanking (and pvp). Thats a mere 1875 arena pts.

Weaponsmithing is much better.

For PvP, Stormherald is on the level of S3 mace and sword, which saves you 3750 arena pts and doesnt require 1850 rating. The sword is pretty good too.

For PvE dps, DWing (Prot dps or fury) Dragonstrike is great. For 2H the sword is great dps.

Your options are basically:

Macesmith: Best pvp crafted weapon + great 1H dps weapon

Swordsmith: Good pvp weapon + 2H dps weapon, good tanking weapon. Good 2H dps weapon.

I'm maces and use Stormherald to PvP and Dragonstrike to DPS/Grind as prot. Doesnt help my tanking but it helps my pvp and dps a lot.

If you raid as MS, or if you want to use blacksmithing for a tanking weapon I'd go swords. Otherwise Id go maces for a good pvp weapo nand a good dps 1Her.

Ceravantes
11-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I was a Swordsmith until 2.3, I use Mallet now and have dropped smithing for JC.
The time of Smithing for the BoP crafted weapons/armor is coming to an end, there is so much better out there fairly easily available, I would switch to eng/JC now before you get the last 15 points.

Gajanana
11-30-2007, 06:48 AM
I've gotten my blacksmithing to 360....

Not to be a killjoy or anything but I hope you have either:

a) a ton of gold saved up

b) a ton of mats saved up

Because it cost me about 3000g to go from 360-375 bs...........

Nuberino
11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Get the felsteel leggings pattern and skill up from 360-375 is virtually free.

Deathmethod
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Not to be a killjoy or anything but I hope you have either:

a) a ton of gold saved up

b) a ton of mats saved up

Because it cost me about 3000g to go from 360-375 bs...........

I already knew that. I heard about it from my friend. The way it sounds I'm not putting a huge priority on it at the moment, and may even change it, so I'm waiting. Thanks for trying to warn me though. xD

So... now I've realized I'm going to PvP a lot more. Since I realized that's the reason I came back to play this game (quit for about 5 months). So I'm thinking Eng (bombs + cool gadgets), JC (to cut my own gems), or mace for the 1h's for DPS since I will need to farm a bit outside of PvP for enchants, gems, and such.

Taynk
12-01-2007, 01:37 PM
along these same lines, with the recent orc racial changes, would the 1h BS axe be better than the 1h BS hammer, as a main hand weapon for fury? im at the point where i have the mats saved to make the 1st 1h axe and have the nethers to upgrade it to the second tier, or i can just upgrade my 1h hammer to the 2nd tier, but haven't been able to decide which way to go.