PDA

View Full Version : Starting Kara

Rofls
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
As a prot warrior looking to start into Kara as the MT, what should I be focusing more on - EH or avoidance? What should I be standing at in terms of EH to effectively MT Kara?

Any insight is appreciated.

Kintaran
11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
While you're learning stuff, having the health to take the bad bursts is good. Statistically speaking, if you make multiple attempts on a single boss, you're going to run into the bad streak with crushes, so the more stable, if mana intensive, learning environment for the raid is probably better. The more learning you get done per attempt the better. The lower the raid DPS, the more important it is to be able to eat the higher end bursts, since longer fights make them more likely to occur at least once. At least, that's my experience with a low DPS raid.

Rofls
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I've heard some people say that Kara is more of an avoidance-based instance and thus favors tanks who gear that way, is this true?

Kazeyonoma
11-28-2007, 05:58 PM
if you over gear it, you will obviously survive equally as long as an EH tank in kara, but for testing new content. You don't want to give your raid little to no chance to learn encounters.

ex)
Enter Moroes, you've never downed him before and want to get some attempts in.
1)
You gear avoidance. You're doing good, adds are going down fine, shackles are shaky and someone is killing the wrong mob, but you're up and no one's dying yet. Blam he crushes you twice with his fast swing, your healers are trying to top off the kiters, and you die to a flurry of more attacks that can and will eventually land against you. Fight lasted 2 minutes.

2)
You gear EH. Same situation. Mobs are running around loose, and healers are figuring out how to heal proactively. Suddenly you eat 2 crushes. But wait you're not close to dying yet, cuz those crushes hit for far less, and you have far more hp. Healers realize they need to heal you NOW, and start casting heals. You take more hits, and live by 1000 hp before the heal lands. Fight lasts 6 minutes.

All the avoidance in the world couldn't have done what the extra hp/armor did. Which is give your raid a chance to do MORE before the fight ends. Sure when you have Moroes on farm, maybe you can fit more avoidance gear into your setup but that'll come with gear, not with gemming. The fight will become trivial and you'll practically take no damage from him. But that's way in the future.

Major Teroh
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Ok, but what amount of EH are we looking at? 12-14K? More?

*edit* oops, that was actual health, not effective...

Rofls
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd think more, currently I'm in full blues including my Felsteel set, and some D3 pieces (as well as a lot of gear from the 'easy pre-Kara gear list') and I'm sitting at around 30k EH and 33k EHB (mostly thanks to the Glad Shield Wall that I picked up).

Edit: My actual health is about 12.2k, but still as I mentioned before I don't know what would be a good baseline for starting Kara.

Kintaran
12-03-2007, 03:20 AM
You should be okay to start learning the fights. You're pretty much at or above most reasonable baselines. I've seen tanks in about that gear level progressiontank all of Kara up to and including Curator. Good luck.