PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day Woes

perkele
11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know if this is the best forum to make this post in but please move it if I missed a better place.

I am a US citizen currently a permanent resident of Canada. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on October where as in the US it is celebrated late November. I am still unsure why differences in dates for the holiday between the two countries.

My guild currently has about 10 Canadian players and the rest are mostly from the US. Every year the Canadians players bitch having raids continue during their Thanksgiving. Once the end of November rolls around we usually take the week off due to majority of players being out of town or busy in real life. So our Canadian players get a little cranky during this time.

I was curious if any other guilds had problems like this with split holidays or country specific holidays.

Ciderhelm
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
It's good for your members to have some time off. At least, that's what your guild has already decided, and it makes sense. The Canadians need to realize that while they aren't less important in the eyes of the guild, they make up a smaller percentage of the guild.

We've had those issues crop up occasionally. I know with my last guild we had some of that come up... but that's because we raided holidays regardless of who's holiday it was. :)

Andenthal
11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I am a US citizen currently a permanent resident of Canada. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on October where as in the US it is celebrated late November. I am still unsure why differences in dates for the holiday between the two countries.

The Canadian holiday came first. It was to celebrate coming to the "new world" by feasting on the recent crop harvest - which happens at the beginning of October. The US piggybacked off this holiday. But, the US with a warmer climate, harvests crops a few weeks later. Hence the end of November.

As for the days off issue....
I tend to agree with Cider. Use the holidays as a forced break for you and your guild. There are only a handful of national holidays throughout the year that will interfere with raiding. After the first of the year, the real break for most Americans is maybe Spring break. The next major "holiday" is July 4th. That's a solid 6 months of raiding without a holiay interfering.