PDA

View Full Version : Heroic 5-Man requirements

ScientificLee
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
What are requirements for each class to run 5-man heroics?

Warrior Tank: Def 490 for bosses, 12k unbuffed HPs.

What about other classes? You can leave our ret pallies and dps warriors cause I usually never allow them to come along unless they are guild mates or friends.

klor
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Know what CC is and understand how to avoid breaking it while also reapplying it. Also, know how to focus fire. Skill matters more than gear in heroics for dps.

Farfa
11-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Welcome to the hell where honored people do heroics.:D

Lavache
11-24-2007, 08:51 AM
yeah... i ran underbog the other day and out-dpsed the enhancement shaman in the group... group make up isnt that important as long as everyone knows what they are doing and you have reliable CC options. the more gear you get the easier it gets also, just like any other tanking situation. i personally have no problems with ret paladins or dps warriors in the group as long as they know they might have to put on a shield every now and then and OT because they are part of our CC options.

Radhja
11-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Before I group up with someone, I armory them to see if they're Revered or not. If not, I keep searching.

Lowering the requirements for Heroics was a huge mistake and has already cost me more in repair costs in ONE WEEK than I've spent in the past MONTH pre-2.3. Allowing people who are obviously undergeared and/or underskilled entrance into Heroics is beyond the ken of mortal understanding, but Blizz is at the helm... next they'll just remove the requirements alltogether... but the damage is already done.

Anyway, to be a little more on-topic: You need at LEAST 12.5k health and armor to walk into a Heroic and expect to survive. Don't even attempt it if you don't meet this benchmark. You'll wipe many times, and your party members will probably forego any future reference of association to your toon's name. You might as well walk in naked with only a 2H - you'll have about the same odds of survival.

Learn what classes have which kinds of CC - some are vastly more useful than others. (Sheep > Sap in general, for example, but in certain circumstances these rules change. Be aware of these changes!) Make sure you set your marks (and your party is aware of HOW you mark), and /kick anyone who doesn't follow your lead. A rogue party member (not the class, but a rebel - lol) can lead to quick wipes in even the most simple of instances.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and always uphold the glory of tankdom. It is the unparalleled apex of acheivement in this game, the tantric climax to the orgy of mayhem we sift thru in our search for the next challenge to overcome.

Leytur
11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
That's pretty dumb Rad. I only got my key the hard way with one faction. Yet I'm 12.5 unbuffed and Kara ready. If you go thru the trouble of armorying them why not look at their GEAR instead of their REP?

adrenalize
11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Also, It could be an Alt of somebody as well. My priest is revered with precisly ZERO factions at the moment, but is better geared than most people who do PuG's because i have spent the effort getting the best possible gear i can get.

pvrhye
12-13-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm a hair shy of that 12k unbuffed hps benchmark and I have never had that much trouble tanking em.

Rashul
12-13-2007, 07:53 AM
That's pretty dumb Rad. I only got my key the hard way with one faction. Yet I'm 12.5 unbuffed and Kara ready. If you go thru the trouble of armorying them why not look at their GEAR instead of their REP?

I think what Rad is saying, is that when the requirement was revered; you had to have run the instance quite a few times to get to revered and thus keyed. With the honored requirement, I've found myself grouped with people to run a heroic who have not ever run the instance. The problem here isn't so much gear, but the lack of familiarity and practice with the instance.

Radhja
12-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Precisely, Rashul. Glancing at the Reputation status of someone gives another player a good idea of how familiar said player is with an instance. Gear is always checked, regardless, but Reputation has become the default "first glance" stat for me.

Taelas
12-15-2007, 05:23 AM
... that still doesn't make sense.

Norrath was my third character to hit 70. I did NOT go through with the hassle to get him Revered; I know all the instances by heart.

Even then, there are people every day who go into instances they've never been to before and do just fine. Why is it such a big deal?

It's a pretty damn stupid criteria. If you must check something, check their gear. Don't bother checking their rep. Their gear at least tells you whether or not it will be a waste of time prior to entering the instance. Looking at their rep won't.

Beckbristow
12-15-2007, 07:28 AM
I dunno. There are plenty of tards running around with Kara/Gruul gear simply because they are in a guild that will drag them through the instance while farming BoJs, or just need a 25th to fill the roster. On the other hand, I usually stick to running heroics with guildies or people I used to level/quest/5man with, who I know can handle themselves.

Moshzilla
01-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Yer, I think experience is what will finish the instance, when geared. I am around 11.5k armor and 12k health, and it's doable, but I lack the knowledge of the dungeons and that is what is holding me back.

I don't think 12.5k health and 12.5k armor is a hard and fast rule, a general rule for sure, but it will help. Actually, taking a look at your health Radhja, it is under 12.5k :P (on your sig anyway)

I have been hassled about my dodge rating though, when it was around 16%. My dodge and parry was then around 30% total. What do you guys think of dodge/parry rating for Heroics/Karazhan ?

Moshzilla
01-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I was thinking about this whole Honored vs Revered thing and I think that if Revered was needed, someone would just farm rep on the easiest and quickest dungeon they could find for that faction, making them an expert at one dungeon and inexperienced in the rest. There is no difference. The dungeons must be learnt and whether you master them at friendly or revered, makes no difference.

Roana
01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I have been hassled about my dodge rating though, when it was around 16%. My dodge and parry was then around 30% total. What do you guys think of dodge/parry rating for Heroics/Karazhan ?

I recommend a total avoidance of 40%+ (include miss rate, dodge, parry) for heroics and Karazhan. When healing heroics in particular, there are plenty of fights where players other than the tank will take damage from secondary attacks or AEs, and it is important to get brief breaks to patch up the other players (including yourself). And low-avoidance tanks make your life as a healer really, really stressful in heroics. Remember: You have only one healer who cannot afford to focus only on you and who can't dump heals into you without regards for overhealing.

Even in Karazhan, where you have multiple healers, I often want a tank with at least moderate avoidance. For example, if you don't have a paladin on Moroes (or other means of removing Garrote), towards the end you'll spend half your global cooldowns tossing Renews on garroted people and can take only so much time off to heal the tank (nevermind that it really, really starts to eat into your mana pool). Curator is another example where taking less damage is more important than effective health; and to be honest, the only reason you would ever need lots of effective health is because your avoidance is so low that you're taking a truckload of damage; otherwise, it's fairly easy to keep the tank topped off.

Moshzilla
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what would you class as a low avoidance tank ?

Roana
01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what would you class as a low avoidance tank ?

I'm really not that comfortable with providing absolute numbers here.

For example, 12k health in a heroic is not good enough when you're tanking heroic Underbog Lords that can still two-shot you with that much health after a few growths.

Similarly, you can hardly have enough avoidance for Shirrak the Dead Watcher in heroic Auchenai Crypts.

You need to get a feeling for what gear it takes for certain types of fights, what is your best choice of damage mitigation, and most importantly understand the constraints your healer is operating under (and that again can vary by healer). And experience is the only way to learn that. Until then, the simple solution is to get the best gear (or as close to best as is reasonable) you can lay your hands on.

Here are some challenges that healers can face in a heroic:

Lots of secondary damage to other players (for example, Ghaz'an, Quagmirran, Rokmar the Crackler, Zereketh the Unbound, Hydromancer Thespia, Gatewatcher Gyro-kill, Talon King Ikiss, Darkweaver Syth, Nazan).
Even more so if the healer is a common target and gets interrupted on top of havng to heal.
A fight with a lot of movement (Hungarfen, Nethermancer Sepethrea, Talon King Ikiss).
Fights with mobs that use mortal strike or put other constraints on healing (Temporus, Shirrak the Dead Watcher, Rokmar the Crackler, Exarch Maladaar if the healer has her soul stolen).
Periods where you cannot heal, because you're stunned or silenced (Anzu the Ravengod, Aeonus, Murmur).

Mordigen
01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
That is a tough call. You can be on an alt, and know the instance like the back of you hand on your main warrior, but it might be a little different running on your alt holy pally. One could have great gear from Kara without getting revered and one could have good blues and be revered. If you know the person and their performance, it doesn't take all purples or even all blues to run a heroic, but the better the gear the the easier the instance, and also the better people know it, the easier the instance too. Weigh the factors out and see if you have a good group for the specific instance, since they can be different.

Mordigen
01-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Avoidance can be very helpful at times, but I would not bank your life or the life of the raid on it. Obviously the more the better, but not at the risk of losing to much health or armor. It is somewhat fight specific too. Prince you are better off having more avoidance and getting out of some of the crushing blows since your shield block CAN last longer, but if you sacrifice to much health and armor to get it, you are more likely to get that 1 bit hit and just not have the health to live through it.

Moshzilla
01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Yer, now that makes some sense. I agree totally.

So I would say the requirements would be:

1. Experience (layout, pulls, mob skips, risky aggro areas, boss abilities and strategies)
2. Correct group selection based on experience and perhaps the dynamic of the group. A group that are on a level is best. Some people want to rush, other people can't rush. Some people know the dungeon well. Other people don't. I find the best groups are on a level, or are willing to find a level.
3. Gear (situational gear selection).

And if you're a warrior, crowd control :P

Delicatesse
01-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Lowering the requirements for Heroics was a huge mistake and has already cost me more in repair costs in ONE WEEK than I've spent in the past MONTH pre-2.3. Allowing people who are obviously undergeared and/or underskilled entrance into Heroics is beyond the ken of mortal understanding, but Blizz is at the helm... next they'll just remove the requirements alltogether... but the damage is already done.

Don't blame the hammer for hitting your finger imho.
If you want to avoid frustration, never PUG.

I have 4 70s, 3 of them got revered to all instance factions before the attunement requirements got lowered. It was NOT fun to grind all that rep. Fresh 70s even have trouble getting guildruns to do normals, because everyone is bored of the 5mans now (especially of normal difficulty), how they could get revered then?
Heroic attunement HAD to be lowered to allow fresh players (alts) get into heroics. That doesn't mean you have to go in without having the gear and/or knowledge.

Spacegoat
04-17-2008, 01:44 AM
I ran H Mech for the first time last night.

Group was made up for me(tank) HPriest/Shammy/Mage/DPSWar - all of them Epiced out, whereas i don't have a single epic item and still hjave 2-3 greens. I'm just shy of 12kHP unbuffed and just over 11k armor, but i hit 13kHP since other warrior was using BS.

I must say, i never had any issues holding aggro, but I can't be sure if the group was holding back for me to build up threat and then let loose.

The only real issue was that my Def is only 483 and as such i was eating crits fairly often - kudo's to healer who did an awesome job .

I think, any group that goes in without knowing what to do and when and how, is asking for a huge repair bill.
I've ran Mech about 10-15/20 times to get my rep up to buy the key. Even if I would not have had to run Mech for rep but could get it another way...I would have still done it over and over. I think it's common sense that you need to put a bit of effort into anything you wish to turn out good..same applies here. I would not go into an H instance if I'd never run it on normal, no matter how geared i would be.

We did wipe 3 times, once being my fault and other two because of healer DC'ed i didn't realise and pulled - so still my fault i guess. Knowing that the repair bill for the rest of the group was going to be fairly bad - and having some consideration that they put a fair bit of trust in a first time H Mech tank - i gave each of them 10g for repairs - tried to anyways.

pvrhye
04-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Are you sure you were taking crits? 490 is required for a 73, but it's lower for lower level mobs.

EDIT: But if you wanna hot 490, talasites are dirt cheap and you can get the new 15 defense to cloak chant.

Spacegoat
04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Im fairly sure, it wasn't just against the elemental/robots mobs - it was happening against most melee's. I would be going along and all of a sudden my HP would take a massive hit and drop by about 3k or more in 1sec - lucky the healer was on the ball.

Whilst tanking against the robots i made sure i had spell reflect and shield bash to counter their lightining punch but i was still getting massive spikes in health.

Eaus
04-18-2008, 08:03 AM
well I have to disagree on the whole know the dungoen. I admit some dungeons I never stepped foot in or even done many times until I was keyed. I did a ton of quests solo because from 60+ everyone had taken off to go to other games and came back when I was already 70.

I feel that I can hold my own and adapt pretty fast, as long as one person did this before and explains it (or I just thott it)...then I have no fear of going into something new. I have grouped wtih a few people exaulted who are total tools in a heroic, and I've grouped with these "noobs" such as myself and not had any issues. FOr me...it's more about the person behind the controls.

It's funny because in my group I am the "baby" in faction and to hear the older member bitch, then say well everyone but you. There are more people out there who are good and just need a shot. Then of course there is the "don't group with list", which is getting longer.

Orz
07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I recommend a total avoidance of 40%+ (include miss rate, dodge, parry) for heroics and Karazhan.

40%?

Isn't that a bit much to expect from a tank that's just starting his first Heroic? I mean, that would be some serious hunting for gear to specifically get 490 Defense, a min of 12.5k HP or so, AND 40% avoidance, prior to getting any epics or 70 blues from a Heroic.

Is it even possible to get that much at that point in a Tank's career without having to wear greens that pretty much only give you avoidance-type stats and sacrifice stamina, armor, and threat attributes, and thus not even being able to have the hit points or hold hate in the Heroic once inside?

I'm tanking Heroics and off-tanking Kara, and have been for awhile, don't have a single green, and about 7 epics to my name, and I'm still hurting to reach even 35% even if I put on all my best avoidance gear ... and to keep 490 defense and a decent amount of stam would be impossible even if I did.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' ... please correct me if I'm wrong, because maybe I'm missing something and need to grab some different gear. My avoidance is 'low' but as I said above I've been trying to get it higher and just can't seem to get it much higher until more epics start rolling in and that won't happen until after entering a heroic or Karazhan, not prior.

Shortypop
07-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I would guess 40% is including base miss rate of mobs + miss (from defense rating) + dodge + parry.

I'm sure someone's written this somewhere but not all heroics are equal I started tanking heroics with under 11k health (and with dps and healers similarly geared), yeah wipes happened, but it was fun :)

Myisland
07-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I have not run a heroic and am in mostly pre70 blues, quest gear, and some AH(Felsteel) and am at 40.35% avoid. This is with 485 Def and gem work. I think the 12.5khp is high as that's been my personal challenge as right now I'm sitting at 11.7 I think. I still have a lot of pre-heroic stuff to do I think (still have a few greens :( ) The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Runetotem&n=Myisland)

My understanding from the guides is that avoidance is Dodge+Parry+miss+5%?

From Tankspot calculator: To determine Avoidance, add Dodge, Parry and Chance to be Missed together. To determine Chance to be Missed, hover over Defense in the in-game character pane; add 5% to account for the base Miss rate most NPCs have.

Creampuf
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Some of the best groups I've ever been in happened when I was entering an instance for the first or second time on heroic.

I told people up front "I'm not familiar with this instance. Tell me what's going on, if someone else want's to mark I'm ok with that. Just let me know which mobs to pull first and how many come in each group."

Someone, usually the healer, would step up and actually communicate with me, and we'd be fine.

I've gone through instance I know by heart, on the other hand, that failed miserably because someone else did not know what they were doing but did not have either the guts or brains to admit it.

I would rather run with someone in blues who had never seen the inside of place and who was stand up enough to say so than with someone in full epics who was revered but who had no clue what they were doing in that particular instance.

CarolinaPride
07-12-2008, 05:14 PM
My Gear:
Carolnapride - Character - World of Warcraft - WoWDigger (http://wowdigger.com/character/view/73903/carolnapride)

Note: There is still room for Enchants, an upgrade on the first Trinket spot, and a new Shield. These items are all Pre-Raid.

The trinket upgrade would be Adamantine Figurine - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27891) (Weather Regal Protectorate - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28042) is better is debatable)

The Shield upgrade Could be Dawnforged Defender - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34676)

Once You have the Defense rating from the Figurine, +Stamina or +Avoidance
Gems/Enchants could replace some of my Defense Gems/Enchants

Hope this helps :)

Muffin Man
07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
40%?

Isn't that a bit much to expect from a tank that's just starting his first Heroic? I mean, that would be some serious hunting for gear to specifically get 490 Defense, a min of 12.5k HP or so, AND 40% avoidance, prior to getting any epics or 70 blues from a Heroic.

Hmm, I ran my first heroic at 41% avoidance. 510 defense gave me ~6% miss, then ~17% dodge/parry. I'm wearing all blue's from quests/rep and dungeon drops (well the S2 shield too).

Although what I'm having trouble hitting is 12k life and I'm a Tauren!. I know I'm being ocd/anal/stubborn and always gemming for socket bonuses and I'm missing enchants on hands/wrist/boots but by my math that's only ~500 hp and I'm sitting at 11.4k. So I don't see how people are hitting 12.5k :confused:.

Ashtari
07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi, I was wondering what heroics my tank set would be good enough to work with, and thought this might be a good place to ask. I'm a paladin tank and I just very recently broke 10k health unbuffed, and still have not hit the 12.5k health mark. I have never run a heroic as prot before, only as ret (and only 2 heroics). My maximum health/mitigation stats are here (The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moon+Guard&n=Ashtari)) and are listed here in case I change some of my gear:

11267 health unbuffed
4173 mana
487 defense
12.58% dodge
16.33% parry
25.19% block (54.1% total dodge + parry + block)
12425 armor (54.06% damage reduction)
199 spell damage

I'm wondering if this would be good enough for some of the harder heroics, for example Magister's Terrace. Would it even be good enough for Underbog or Shadow Labyrinth?

clavarnway
07-24-2008, 07:45 AM
40%?

Is it even possible to get that much at that point in a Tank's career without having to wear greens that pretty much only give you avoidance-type stats and sacrifice stamina, armor, and threat attributes, and thus not even being able to have the hit points or hold hate in the Heroic once inside?

Well the base miss rate from a mob to a player is 5%, and let's say another 5% from Defense skill. That means you only need 30% combined Dodge/Parry to reach 40%...that's easy.

hvidgaard
07-28-2008, 02:45 AM
Hi, I was wondering what heroics my tank set would be good enough to work with, and thought this might be a good place to ask. I'm a paladin tank and I just very recently broke 10k health unbuffed, and still have not hit the 12.5k health mark. I have never run a heroic as prot before, only as ret (and only 2 heroics). My maximum health/mitigation stats are here (The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moon+Guard&n=Ashtari)) and are listed here in case I change some of my gear:

11267 health unbuffed
4173 mana
487 defense
12.58% dodge
16.33% parry
25.19% block (54.1% total dodge + parry + block)
12425 armor (54.06% damage reduction)
199 spell damage

I'm wondering if this would be good enough for some of the harder heroics, for example Magister's Terrace. Would it even be good enough for Underbog or Shadow Labyrinth?
Heroic MgT - not a chance unless the rest of the group outgear it by a fair amount.
Your HP is in my opinion too low to tank heroics yet except SP or those with similar low damage income. Work on your gear from normals and improve it. I'm not faimiliar with Tankadin theory, but I feel quite sure you can't just yet. Perhaps you get something from talents that will improve it?

Mortarr
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
First post here and I have been wondering myself about my ability to tank in heroics.

I have only just recently hit 70 (2 days ago) on my warrior but done all the instances on my mage through gruul / mag. (Few herioics)

I was wondering if you guys could help me with some guidance on if I could start running heroics and where a good place to start would be.

Armory Profile:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Mortarr)

Also Having read threads here I will be going with a respec to:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LV0cZVbZbEtoIMzcxst)

dlongest
07-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Your HP and armor are probably too low.

Get rid of the strength gems, put in +stam gems (+9 for gear you're replacing soon, +12 for gear you're keeping for a bit).

Grind some BGs and buy the S2 shield OR grind SSO rep and get the SSO neck and shield (and arguably Inurro's Blade). Your weapon is slower than I prefer.

One of your trinkets is doing nothing for you as a tank.

Look at Polar's Pre-Kara gear list (available on this site), that contains good gear for starting heroics as well.

Daniel

Killie
09-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Hey all,

Hello! Great forum, been lurking for a few weeks finally decided to sign up :) I'm also looking to sort out my Heroic requirements as I've been gearing for kara for a few weeks and the majority of normal instances that I've ran for gear are starting to become a walk in the park. I've ran kara once as an off-tank which was great fun and went well, but tried a heroic once and it all went wrong hehe.

I'm hoping with my current gear, I'll be ready to try my first proper heroic - from reading here it looks like the Mechanar, SP or UB would be one to choose. (My helmet is wrong, have felsteel helm but put that one on to mess about it as it looks good hehe).

Character Sheet (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Killie)

I am also a trinket short but just can't get either Admantite figureine or the coloussus to drop from SL or SH.

etakerns
09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
If you are new to tanking 5 man Heroics u can do it with all the above posted comments that i have seen thus far. You can do this by off setting your pug group using crowd control. If you are just learning new instances and also putting together a group of your own (pug), i would suggest getting a mage. The sheep will keep 1mob down and is probably the most reliable CC in the game. I would also recommend maybe even 2 mages over a hunter and mage unless you know the hunter. Having the sheep will allow your healer the ease of healing you and the party, even if the healer is not all that great. What you will need to watchout for in an instance is the hunter if you choose one, that will cause the majority of u'r chaos in most situations. They will multi. shot pull, (or forget to take pet off aggro pull) and when they do pull and they will loose aggro b/c they will be standing next to the healer and his/her heals will take 1st aggro. Or even better the hunter will feign death and acourse the mob will go straight to the healer and Chaos begins. I suggest to have at least 1 mage in all of u'r 5mans when 1st starting out and you will have a greater chance of success. Keep in mind not to THUNDER the sheep.

Killie
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the help - I will definelty try to make sure a mage is on board. Most of my recent groups have had hunters (with their 10 second freeze trap :P) and rogues which have been ok for sapping. The problem with freeze trap I find is that they are usually trapped in the main action area so thunderclapping is out of the question. Though I don't think the demoralising shouts broke their cc.

dirt
09-09-2008, 09:13 AM
The guild I'm in is latent with hunters, so I always have atleast 1 and sometimes 2 in a group. So I've had alot of practice with them of late so maybe this will help. But, what I like to do is prior to the pull have them place their traps behind me to either side a bit. Then tell them to hold off a few secs before they draw their target for trapping then as the mobs move to me thunderclap. Then let them draw them to the traps. As they do so I try adjust my position to the mobs I'm holding and draw them away a bit from the traps and out of thunderclap range. Turning back to face them and our healer if possible. I also tell them that should their trap break or fail, to try and use their pet and kite back towards me, where I can pick them up.

On smaller pulls where less CC is needed, I usually have them lay down a frost trap in front of our healer, just in case. It will help to slow them a bit. On pulls where we have like 3 casters and one melee, I'll usually get our mage to sheep one, and hunter to Silent shot the caster and misdirect to me, and then trap the melee after I thunderclap as casters seem more resistant to traps.

Granted, this is all contingent on having a competent hunter(s) with the proper spec. And as was already said, mages are the best form of CC IMHO, although I also really like rogues. But, hey you take what you can get and work with it as best you can. Hope this helps.

r45hnu
09-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Hello everyone,

First of all I'd like to say I find this forum as a best quality forum I have seen so far. Mature people, people that helps others, no flaming etc. Great Job!

My warrior toon was first created to be PvP only char, but I find PvP much more fun on my Rogue, so I decided to try tanking (since I was lvl 70). To my surprise I have found it as extreme fun experience requiring much more dedication that dps + the community is more grown up.

I have visited AH, I have bought felsteel set + I did some instance runs. 2 days ago I have hit crit immune requirement :D and yesterday I have became Exalted with SSO so I have finaly exchanged green shield with awesome SSO shield. Here is the link to the armory:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Twilight's%20Hammer&n=Sherain (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Twilight%27s%20Hammer&n=Sherain)

I know that I need to work on trinkets (I'm planning to get the Nethersorm one till the end of the week) and do some additional work to exchange greens.
In addition I still need to learn to hold agro on Multiple pulls (but I did MGT normal yesterday with 2 Hunters as CC, and although we wiped 4 times we have finished it :D <last pull before a final boss was a nightmare>). On single target / 2 targets I can hold agro no problem in 99% of siuations.

What would you advise for me to focus on so I can start running Heroics? On my server it's quite difficult to run normal instances (I'm trying to find a group to SL or SV for over a week now and no success) so I'd like to switch to Heroics ASAP. Although many request from ppl I dont go to Heroics because I think I'm not ready for it yet.

So, what would you advise on progress? And which Heroic should I choose to start with?

Killie
09-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Hi r45hnu,

I am also having this experience - finding it difficult to tank more than 2 or 3 targets. Unfortunately, practise is hard to come by because normal instances are rarely ran anymore, and heroics can just be a train wreck. Luckily I've managed to get a few off-tank roles with my guild in Kara, which I think is easier than heroics, and you get great rewards.

protonly
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Yep, tanking in kara is generally easier than the heroic pugs -- especially when you're gearing up.

Slave Pens and Underbog are prolly the easiest to start with. I've done them all on heroic but Black Morass and the only one that is hard to pug is mgt. Just take a good healer and min of at least two cc if not three cc (hunter/mage/lock are best).

Sherain you gear looks fine to me to start heroics. Your ranged and one trinket aren't the best but a good ranged item is hard to find outside of the gyro gun. There is a ring in shadowmoon u can get too that is fantastic (the name escapes me). You'll get tore up but that's what heroics are supposed to do.

Killie
09-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Well, I tried my first heroic on my current gear last night and it didn't go toooo bad. Bearing in mind we had 2 hunters, a fury warrior and a priest, cc was a little harsh at times and the healer was in greens, blues and the odd epic.

It was hellfire ramps and we cleared it all but the last boss (healer coulnd't heal me enough from the dragon fire) but it was a good learning experience and the group were really supportive. I think I'm going to look to heroic farm those 3 dungeons and see how it goes.

I did lose aggro to the hunters a couple of times, I think because they were epic'd up and we wiped a few times because of some bad pulls, but overall it was good.

r45hnu
09-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Killie, I'm happy to read your post. As you can see my gear is quite simmilar to yours. That's a final proof for me that I can start doing heroics :-). So all thats left from normal for me is: 2 BM runs to get KoT glyph, 1 Mech and 1 Bot run to get Belt and 1 SL run to get Wrists. Oh and SMV quest for the ring. Then I think I'll try to tank Kara (what do you tnkink guys) :)

Grizzler
09-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Heh I tanked my first heroic (Mech) last night with some guildies. Lot's of dying, some of it my fault ;) I was really nervous at first but once we were going it didn't seem that much different from normal Mech. And guess what...the friggin Sun Eater dropped!

Edgar
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Holy crap. Congratulations on that.

haftonburger
09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
For dps, I have one requirement: put out over 500 dps. That's it, no cc really needed, but if it's there I'll use it once or twice. Most failed runs I've had were because it was taking too long to kill things. pvp gear putting out 3-400 dps? GTFO. 1200+ dps? I love you.

For heals, 1200 healing and don't let me die. As much as I control the pull, I have next to no control over the one thing that matters most, my health bar.

r45hnu
09-13-2008, 12:54 AM
I did it, my first heroic is beaten. It was daily heroic Mech.
Smooth run, altough I had some problems with markings and pulls. But it's done :-)

thanks for all the information from this thread :)