PDA

View Full Version : Protection PVP

thugthedum
11-15-2007, 11:06 PM
So, I seem to feel I'm having a better time in battlegrounds sword and board - max out block value, then max out crit, then AP. I'm living longer and interrupting casts and even killing stuff a lot easier, strangely.

In arena, it's useless, and I put on my dps plate and go DW for the damage. My MO doesn't change much; immobilize or silence targets with concussion blow, pummel, and war stomp - but I forgo the shield for the higher damage potential. I'm finding the devastate changes have upped my damage, fewer rage problems.

How many people are staying prot to pvp?

Ciderhelm
11-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Battlegrounds has always had a place for Protection, even in player vs. player combat.

Arenas, it's definitely not useful by comparison to Arms. Not even close. It's fine for mid-rank and with enough gear you could possibly edge out 1850 rating depending on your battlegroup. It's not something that could seriously be argued for people.

I usually stay Prot to PVP because I usually only spend a couple hours a week PVPing each week. I don't do Arenas unless I need points. That's the nature of my playing time though, where I essentially need to log in before raids and log out after raids with very little other time in-game. This won't be true for most people.

DaddyGamer
11-16-2007, 04:31 AM
I have recently switched from prot to Arms because of IRL stuff (kids) that make it hard for me to play any raids atm. Now I mostly do arena - and I must say: What a change.
Previous tactics was, stun and hope for spell to be cast to reflect. A bit of hamstring and disarm but that was it... Now I litterally grind paladins into the ground and rogues splatter all over. Casters is still a worry though...

Baceramus
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I give prot-pvp a go now and then but never for arena. It definately does well in AB and AV but I cant recommend it for much else. One of the fun uses is EOTS inside of the Mage Tower, use line of sight, spell reflect, Intimidating Shout, and stuns to belittle casters into chasing after you in there. The only issue I run into is where to stack shield block value and where to keep pvp gear. Also the question of fast main hand or slow as rage has become an issue here and there. This is a spec I've tested out the other day with some decent results Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Lq0ezhboZVZfVtsc0zfxo) 512 block value in my prot-pvp build with deathwish active brought me a 3481 shield slam crit against a fully sundered clothie.

Edit: Just caught that I screwed up and linked to the wrong build, correct one linked now.

mishmash
11-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Going arena as prot can be a ton of fun if you can find a melee target to single out or a stray healbot. I love finding an arms warrior and watching him get frustrated by the tiny amount of damage he can deal to me and my 15k hp.

thugthedum
11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
for me as far as gear choices, in eots/ab "s&b pvp" mode, I equip my King's Defender because I put Mongoose on it, and Mongoose + shield slam is a coffee pot full of win. Always the Merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall, Dath'Remar's Ring of Defense, Natasha's Battle Chain, Vambraces of Courage, Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600, Thatia's Self-Correcting Gauntlets (MoV hates me), and I end up around 500 SBV (that's my max). Then I focus on crit, then AP.

My "oh no I have to arena for my new shield wall" set is more pure DPS; hit, crit, AP.

thugthedum
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Going arena as prot can be a ton of fun if you can find a melee target to single out or a stray healbot. I love finding an arms warrior and watching him get frustrated by the tiny amount of damage he can deal to me and my 15k hp.

this is what I'm talking about.