PDA

View Full Version : Kill order in instances?

Dilly
11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, tried searching for my answer but didnt really find what iws looking for? Just wondering what kill order should be followed when marking in dungeons?

Thanks for all your help!!

Dilly

Beertap
11-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I usually go by this:

Everything that's not being CC'ed dies first.
Then Saps.
Fears.
Traps.
Shackles.
Banishes.
Sheeps. (Although it's much safer to switch Banish and Sheep)

Usually healers will die first, then casters and then melee.

I mark targets like this:

Kill: Skull
Tank and kill 2nd: X
Sheep: Moon
Banish: Diamond
Trap: Square
Shackle: Star
Sap: Circle

Triangle is usually left over. I cannot go by these on every pull though, as each pull is different and sometimes I need to change what each mark represents.

Dilly
11-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. That helps alot! This maybe a dumb question but how do you which ones are going to be casters and healers and which ones are melee?? Sorry if thats a no brainer but it is something i am having trouble with.

Tanken
11-04-2007, 05:52 PM
mostly those with dresses and wands are casters/healers and those with big badass weapons and oversized shoulders are warriorsclasses...the one with the hood whos dual wielding is a rogue type..

Dilly
11-04-2007, 06:08 PM
K thanks for the help, i will have to keep a keen eye on the next run!!

Ceravantes
11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Many unit frames have mob class type on target windows, if you are having trouble telling the difference that may be somehting to look for.

Brickhuase
11-05-2007, 07:37 AM
our rule of thumb is sky symbols are CC whatever we may be using, square is trap. Triangle is usually used as banish. The rest are our tank symbols.

Rashul
11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
mostly those with dresses and wands are casters/healers and those with big badass weapons and oversized shoulders are warriorsclasses...the one with the hood whos dual wielding is a rogue type..

Another quick way to determine if a mob is a caster or not is if they have a mana bar.

Grimmwall
11-06-2007, 09:28 PM
If you guys remember the old Rend Blackhand event in UBRS, "Kill the one in the dress first!"

Explains it all, lol.

Razmo
11-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I use these in Kara:

Skull = main target
Circle = ot target
Square = trap hunter
Diamond = holy priest shackle
Triangle = shadow priest shackle
X = sap
Moon = sheep
Star = Banish

when we go kara we use:

Skull = main target (all focus on it)
Circle = ot target (2nd target that has to die)
Square = trap hunter (when I down skull i tank this one)
Diamond = holy priest shackle (When ot mark is dead, Ot takes this mark while rest downs trap mark)
Triangle = shadow priest shackle (Last kill)

Tworkemada
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Generally, you have to pull the instance a few times, and try to remember the names of the mobs and what abilities they have. Decide which mob is the most dangerous in the pull, and either keep it CC'd or kill it first. Mobs with aoe, fear, mind control, MS, or mana burn come to mind. They're an immediate threat to group safety, so killing them first, or keeping them poly'd till last, is the best way to go about setting up a pull.

kryonik
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Usually the names of the mobs will also let you know if it's a caster or melee. Something like a "centurion" would be a melee class where something like a "nethermancer" would be a caster.

Radhja
11-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I usually use the following:

Skull: the defacto "KILL ME FIRST" icon.
X: 2nd non-CC'd kill target, or the OT's target (in which case it often becomes the primary kill target)
Circle: 3rd non-CC'd kill target, or 2nd Sap if more than 1 Rogue is in party.
Triangle: 4th non-CC'd kill target
Square: Ice Trap
Diamond: Banish/Enslave/Mind Control
Star: Sap/Shackle
Moon: Polymorph

Samthup
11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
As far as what order to kill things based on class/abilities, its going to vary per instance, however as a general rule of thumb, offtank the melee mobs until the end (if they are not CCed).

Steamvaults is a good place to learn what to kill in what order and how to use your CC. In a standard group, you will be able to CC two mobs on every pull.

In general, pulls are Caster, Healer, Melee, Melee or Caster, Caster, Healer, Melee.

Since the Melee only hit for melee damage and will stay in range of you, they are your easiest to hold to you and not worry about them running off if you use your AE abilities properly (ie Tclap, consecrate, etc). These should always be last to die as they have the most hps, most armor, and generally don't do the most damage to a tank.

So the CC for Healer, Caster, Melee, Melee would be 1 cc on caster, 1 on melee. Kill order would be Healer(skull), Melee(x), Caster (sap/trap), Melee(sheep). This ensures that the healer dies first so you don't have to worry about it breaking out of CC and healing. Also you get a good bit of time to build up a bit of aggro on the melee and don't have to worry about it jumping on your healer or trigger-happy DPS as melee mobs usually hurt non-plate a good bit.

On a double caster pull, both casters would be CCed then follow same steps as above, Healer dying first and one melee second then the casters.

Bad marking and kill orders can often spell death for your group, even if you have a really good group. So make sure to note which mobs fear, which heal, and which do just plain nasty stuff (ie charm totems or possess) and make sure to not just let these guys run around un-attended.

nethervoid
11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Another great place for info on each mob type is wowwiki. In fact, I tend to look at it before bosses I've only done a time or two as well. Lots of information there on what has what abilities.

Kavel
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I find it to be incredibly useful to bind some key (I use the middle mouse scroll wheel button) to Assign Target -> Skull. This allows you to manually update the kill order mid-fight by assigning the skull as you go. If you bind to to a handy key, it doesn't slow you down at all.

Particularly if you PUG a lot and/or don't have voice chat, this can make a huge difference in reducing focus fire confusion. If DPS can't grasp "KILL THE ONE WITH THE GIANT SKULL ON IT" then you usually can figure that out pretty quick and boot them or drop the group.

Nariju
12-12-2007, 08:48 AM
As simple as that would seem, it isn't.

As my guild is mocking me about my mike and i seem very hard to understand, i don't use voice chat. So i thought reassigning targets midfight to "skull" would be a good idea to let them know my desires (and help me keep aggro on multiple targets).

But it's more like "ok, so this is the mob i have to cc", "kill skull, then cross. kk"... "oh, new skull there, now what? let's kill the sheep anyway, we've always done it that way"

very... challenging :)

Mordigen
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree with the kill orders mostly, I try to only have 1 healer up, if there are more than 1, try to cc the second. It just sucks when you are trying to take down the skull and then they get healed. Kill the uncontrolled mobs first, then I usually go for saps, then ice traps, then shackles, then sheeps, and banishes last since they are unbreakable.

The important thing is that your raid knows what each symbol means and when to kill each one. As long as you have that worked out then the symbols you use don't really matter. I let the cc'ers choose what they wanted as long as they all differed, with skull being the "KILL" target, and sometimes I even switch the skull to the target to kill next if there are a lot of targets so people know.

Horgar
12-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Depends on instance and what CC you have. If you have hunters, they have a harder time CCing ranged and chain casters. But sometimes if you have 2 casters one of them needs to be cc'd which leaves him generally to be killed later in the order. You might easily kill things caster, meelee, caster, healer... etc. There's no hard rule.

If your CC is not "on the ball" then sometimes it's just safer to CC the softer hitting mob cuz he's almost guaranteed to be on your healer at some point =P.

If you have an extra priest sometimes having him mind control a caster type is best since they're less likely to 1-shot him when it breaks and the spells are much more useful than slowed melee.

Usually kill order has something to do with the balance of danger vs difficulty to kill. The mob with a shield and sword that hits like a girl is a great off tank target. Shadowpriests in SL either get sheeped or killed first in my groups. If you're low on CC you should pick the hardest hitting melees and off tank them and let a rogue/shaman tank the main kill - make it a caster type. Last heroic SL I did we had the shaman tank shadowpriest kill target on the big pulls while I held 2 or 3 melees in good ole tank-cc fashion. Not being on the main kill target lets you hold a lot more mobs at once off heavy healing.

Sometimes leaving a caster up is worhtwhile, too, because if you can time spell reflect well on a long-casting hard hitting type like sirens in SV you can hold their aggro and kill them while tanking something else. Given their Point blank aoe fear this works out much better than killing them first sometimes as you have no threat of being feared.

pvrhye
12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I wish the lucky charms were more specific. For example, a little sheep symbol would work or polymorph or a little swirly thing for sap.

nomore
02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
[edit]
nm didn't see page 2 :p