PDA

View Full Version : Damocles Recruitment for Raiding Guilds

Ciderhelm
11-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm going to present a very simple recruitment method I used with my prior guild. This, integrated with our simple loot system, was core to streamlining the guild for progression. This may not work for your guild; instead, I present it as an option you may not have thought of.

Damocles Recruitment
1) Applicants are voted on by all guild members. A single denial resulted in a denied application.
2) If a vote of denial is unreasonable then removal of the guild member who voted against the applicant would resolve the issue. This was never used.

Implementation
This was set up with a separate applicant discussion forum. When an applicant was accepted as a potential member after 2-3 weeks of raiding, their application was reposted within this forum.

Once the application was up there was a 24/72 rule in place -- any concerns about the player needed to be brought up within 24 hours in that thread and the resolution to those concerns was to be posted within 72 hours. Negative votes were not permitted until the issue had been addressed either positively or negatively.

All votes were public. This can be done in vBulletin and other forum software through a special option when posting polls. A lack of vote from a member was considered a positive vote -- abstaining was never considered negative and the membership was aware of this.

Votes could not be made for class balance reasons. If there was a class balance issue, leadership was expected to prematurely veto the application or the queue system was expanded.

Premature vetoes could occur at any point in the application process. Since a negative vote from the Guild Leader was just as valid as a negative vote from any other raider, many poor applicants never reached the stage of a public vote as the premature veto had already taken place.

Recruitment Posting
Recruitment posting on public forums clearly explained our Damocles policy. It was presented in such a way that potential applicants understood they would have to both perform well and have an attitude that the rest of the raiders appreciated.

On our own forums, we had a lengthy application format which required at least fifteen minutes to properly fill in. The length was intended to discourage those who were only generally interested in a guild instead of enthusiastically interested in our guild.

Did It Work?
For us, yes. Our guild raided only 20 hours a week but fully cleared all content up through and including Kel'Thuzad. Our biggest strength was that we had motivated players who showed up every night; with planning, we were able to compensate for the natural declines in membership that occurred as school began again and as the holidays approached. Though we raided a small schedule by the standards of a 'hardcore' guild, we raided every posted night for every posted hour.

Klimpen
11-01-2007, 03:24 AM
Sounds like a pretty solid system. One thing though.

What's an 'unreasonable' denial?

Krashtork
01-01-2009, 06:00 AM
"2) If a vote of denial is unreasonable then removal of the guild member who voted against the applicant would resolve the issue. This was never used."

Could you please elaborate on what is considered "Unreasonable"?

Crommi
01-05-2009, 07:34 AM
I assume it means negative feedback that cannot be proven or is based on lie.

Ciderhelm
01-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Could you please elaborate on what is considered "Unreasonable"?
I dunno. We never used that clause.

It was mostly meant to make sure people took the position seriously.

Meeks
01-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Sounds very similar to how we voted on who to give bids to in my frat...one 'no' form anyone ended the process. However one could also decline to vote which would postpone the vote until the next week without actually killing the vote.

Though I am not sure that would be very effective in this scenario.