PDA

View Full Version : So I wanted to one man tank Kara ...

Clifford
10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Due to a number of reasons it turned out that we were short of tanks so I decided to try tank Kara alone (no dps tanks).

Attumen - no problem
Moroes - fun to avoid the gouge but it worked really well.
Maiden - only requires one tank, so no problem
Skeletal ushers - worked with a few deaths in the raid
Romeo and Juliet - no problem

Now the problem, Nightbane.
I just could not seem to control all the skeletons in the airborne phase. Our tactic has always been to have the raid collapse as he takes off, and for the tanks to get some agro (thunderclap etc) before the raid moves to a distance. I mark one skeleton for killing before moving to the next.

However, I could not seem to keep them all under control. Eventually one or two skeletons would break free and go for the raid, resulting in my charging all over the place. Once we almost had him before giving up after 5(!) wipes.

Curator - We quickly did him before stopping.

Conclusion
I imagine that all the bosses are doable without a second tank (maybe with the exception of Netherspite). I wasn't expecting any problems with Nightbane and would be keen for any input or ideas.

Ceravantes
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
The skeletons are tough if people can not assist, I have tanked the whole zone myself, save netherspite where I had a hunter swap red beams with me.

Razmo
10-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Skeletal ushers are easy pick up these http://www.wowhead.com/?item=5634Our Alchemist fixes it for me every time we pass them, shackle the other and no whipes posible. They last like 30 sec. After one is down let the OT pick up the other and use his pot. I tried it once by tanking both using this pot, the dps needs to be high and then it's doable. Don't use the pot till he has lost some HP, normaly he doesnt trap you @ the beginning of the fight.

BTW got a movie about how you did Moroes with only one tank, I want to try it tonight :P. Got some pointers?

Shortypop
10-31-2007, 01:33 AM
We almost always only have one tank for nightbane. As MT I try and make sure I have a full rage bar when nightbane takes off - we group up and I spam thunderclap and demo shout (while keeping nightbane targetted - odd probably but it works for me). We have one MA - dps warrior (if we have one) or a mage/lock, and the dps single target them down - while remaining pretty close together. With 10secs to go before landing I run to his landing spot ready to pick him up.

Only time we've lost dps is when a lock decided to try out seed of corruption and pulled agro on all of them, but as long as they are single target nuked it shouldn't be a problem.

To my mind moroes is far more of a challenge for one tank.

Ceravantes
10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
The oly problem with moroes with one tank is if he gouges as he comes out of vanish, this generally does not happen. So long as you have a few seconds for positioning after vanish it is not difficult at all. That just means position people at max range, and move away from melee when he vanishes.

Clifford
10-31-2007, 07:19 AM
... we group up and I spam thunderclap and demo shout (while keeping nightbane targetted - odd probably but it works for me)
Can you clarify something for me - When Nightbane takes off do you run to the ranged spot or let them come to you and wait for the skeletons?

I think that the next time I single tank this I will just keep the entire raid with me whilst I crowd control and let someone else assist tank the skeleton to be killed.

To my mind moroes is far more of a challenge for one tank.
Moroes was easy enough but Nightbane a pain - I guess that I was too used to have a feral druid with me to help.

veneretio
10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Ya in Nightbane is definitely not one of the hard parts of solo tanking Kara. Illhoof is more of a pain than him by far.

juggernauth
10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Too bad they fixed Moroes :( At the beginning of Karazhan I was able to solo tank him using stance dance ... It doesn't work anymore now ... =/

Shortypop
10-31-2007, 07:30 AM
I run halfway to the ranged group and they run the other halfway - this means ranged is not too close to him when he lands :)

Kazeyonoma
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
I've 1 man tanked most of this instance too.

What we do for Nightbane is instead of collapsing out, we huddle on X.

We just stack everyone on top of myself and the next best OT we got (when no dps warr is around we grab a paladin who does consecration) this prevents me from having to move much, and we just single fire burn everything down fast. Its stressful on healers though since a lot of people get hurt at once, just make sure whoever gets cursed runs out.

Other than that, I think our last kara (this past week) went almost exclusively without a 2nd tank. I wouldn't recommend it, because frankly having an OT for some fights is nice and more securely, and imo, the OT can pick up on loot that you don't need to gear out for another tank position (whether it be another kara group or when you get to 25 man raids). It doesn't hurt really, it only benefits the guild as a whole.

kryonik
10-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I've solo tanked it. If your tank has decent gear and is half-competent, it's completely doable. We even had a Shaman and a Pally stand in the "tanking" beam for Netherspite. My two cents on the topic.

Kazeyonoma
10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Last week's kara I was only tank.

I jumped in first beam
Ele shaman jumped in after me

2nd beam
holy paladin took first half
other holy paladin took 2nd half

its just shield bearers with high armor work best.

Thorium
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Have you ever tried just aoe the adds on Nightbane? We always use this "tactic", if we got a mage that is a plus but not a must. Only thing you need to really do is to chill and take it easy, put a shield slam there, CB there and a revenge there and keep it going. After 5-6sec start nuking (During these seconds, let the dps nuke down your main shield slam target). Works like a charm every time.

And for Netherspite, you can take one beam for your self as I'm sure you are aware of, a hot tip is as I also saw already mentioned, take a hunter for the next red beam with Aspect of the Monkey enabled. As long as you and the hunter keeps moving in and out of the beam, it will all be well.
However, one downside of this is ofcourse that Netherspite will stack up on red debuffs = harder to kill, but just keep it steady and you will surley beat the enrage timer with ease.

Morose I usualy take help from a hunter staying second on threat and just kiting moroes up the "balcony" and then jumping down forcing moroes to run around, this gives me enough time to pick him up.

/Thorium

Crimsonstorm
10-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Nightbane is a one tank fight. How did you do the others and have problems on him??

Crimsonstorm
10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Last week's kara I was only tank.

I jumped in first beam
Ele shaman jumped in after me

2nd beam
holy paladin took first half
other holy paladin took 2nd half

its just shield bearers with high armor work best.

One tank can easily take the red beam for an entire cycle. They need to go in 5 seconds, out 7 seconds, in 5, out 7, roughly. It doesnt have to be precise, just dont stay in too long. So 50% of the time he'll have between 1 and 7 stacks. Thats like 2% less daamge taken overall. Negligible.

We have the MT and OT do red and green in the fight, and flip off (in green, to not mess up anyones mana). Near the end of the fight, casters who are low on mana are allowed to take the green beam from us, but they must keep it.

Brucimus
10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
I wonder if the 2 min cool down pvp trinket would allow you to 1 man Moroes?

Clifford
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Too bad they fixed Moroes :( At the beginning of Karazhan I was able to solo tank him using stance dance ... It doesn't work anymore now ... =/
He can't gouge if your back is turned to him (bit more stressful on healer). So I just just spin attacks, largely when shield slam was off cooldown.

klor
10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Thats not true. He still gouges with your back to him...

Clifford
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Morose I usualy take help from a hunter staying second on threat and just kiting moroes up the "balcony" and then jumping down forcing moroes to run around, this gives me enough time to pick him up.
/Thorium
Seems like a viable option

Clifford
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Gouge or garotte? I did not get one gouge using the spin attack approach. Maybe I was lucky.

Brucimus
10-31-2007, 10:22 AM
or how about free action pots?

veneretio
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Moroes does seem to require 2 tanks now. (He used to be cake to solo tank) He seems to gouge was less frequently than he used to though. (or perhaps this is dodgable now?)

Roana
10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
I wonder if the 2 min cool down pvp trinket would allow you to 1 man Moroes?

When I tried this a couple of months ago, the Medallion of the Alliance broke neither the Gouge nor the Blind.

The trinket is still useful for a number of other PvE encounters, of course.

bludwork
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
This post surprised me. I've single tanked nightbane but not moroes or even attumen. I would have imagined attumen/moroes to be harder to single tank compared to nightbane. I don't even use shouts anymore on nightbane adds unless something goes wrong.

Horacio
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I have single tanked Nightbane on a second night where we had a different line up. Never tried Moroes or the Ushers but spell reflect does work on the ice tomb but there is some tricky timing and luck involved with that and it still seems to drop aggro even if you are not frozen. Attumen isn't too hard but its a little trickier to keep spell reflect up while holding on to both.

An interesting challenge, though...aside from Moroes, mechanically, it should be pretty simple but difficult enough to make it fun. I have been through with a few very weak OTs before but never start to finish solo but before I switched guilds, I always tended to raid with friends and s disproportional number of my friends are tanks/warriors...

jword
11-12-2007, 11:21 PM

I must have missed something in the patch notes - what "fix" did they add to Moroes?
Granted, it's been a while since I gave up "MT" title to go fury, but after a vanish I would simply zerker stance > wait for gouge > berserker rage (which at least *used* to get you out of a incapacitating effect i.e. gouge).
Granted it is a little tougher on healers while in zerker stance during this time, but it used to provide an instantaneous release from a gouge effect and thus Moroes would turn right back to me. Normally I would use any 2min CD defense oriented trinket while in zerker stance.

Beertap
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I've always been able to solo tank Nightbane without any problems. From our first kill all the way to yesterday's kill farming badges.

Usually I have a Bear or Warrior OT in DPS gear help me with the adds, but when I'm completely solo (no Feral Druid or Warrior OT), I'll just spam TC + Cleave + SS when it's up and I'll hold aggro just fine. The problems usually come with that Warlock casting SoC, Mage with AE or that healer who won't stop healing even to save his own life from aggro.

Meatballs
11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Surely if you are single tanking moroes you just grab one of the adds (preferably the prot warrior) and tank both?

Then the add breaks gouge/blind for you.

Illhoof is better with 1 tank on both hoof and imp more dps for chains :)

Ont
11-20-2007, 11:31 AM
The key to making solo tanking Karazhan easy was, for me, having a hunter for misdirects. Once I had the mob/boss on me, they weren't coming off, but the initial pickup was the most hectic moment. Note that I could've micro-managed more with focus macros had it been necessary, but it wasn't.

We were a DPS heavy raid with 2 tanks, 6 dps and 2 healers. When we solo-tanked, it turned into 1/7/2 and the shadow priest/enh shaman did a bit more spot healing on bosses with heavy splash damage (nightbane, netherspite) or stupid bursts (malchezzar).

The last time I single-tanked Nightbane I had an idea to make things much, much simpler. Unfortunately we ran out of time so I didn't get to try it...

Air phase 1: MT tanks all skeletons. Pick up with a thunderclap/demo, dps assists on kill target and solo-nukes it down then begins to AoE remainder. If they pull off me, I pop my challenging shout.

Air phase 2: Repeat of air phase 1. If AoE taunt is on cooldown a hunter may want to put a misdirect up on me and tab through the skeletons, popping those not affected by my initial thunderclap with a quick distracting, arcane, and aimed shot (in that order).

Air phase 3: - Earth Elemental. I always had an enhancement shaman. Having him pop out the rock dude and then spam heals on him made the adds cake until the elemental died. BY then most of the skeletons should also be dead.

Illhoof was a touch harder, but I got more practice solo-tanking him. I think our last 7-8 kills in there we had a paladin alt OT whose mage main wanted and did not see the lightning capacitator until the very last week we ran. I would set the imp as a focus target so I could see who he was targeting and then would make macros (targetting is occasionally difficult with the imps flooding the room) to /target Terrestrian and /target Kil'rek. To make things easier, you could make macros to sunder/shield slam/devastate Kil'rek/focus specifically and just smack those every so often. I liked to manually target him and toss out a shield-slam/concussive blow/shield bash every so often to build threat and disrupt his (admittedly low) damage output.

Netherspite I never solo-tanked. We did have a holy paladin/enhance shaman offtank him for a few phases once. My OT for the majority of our run was color blind (3 out of our 10 raider members were!) so occasionally the paladin/shaman would end up picking him up, sometimes briefly, sometimes for a majority of a phase. As always, the key to Netherspite is having a rogue/warrior in the green beam.

Ont
11-20-2007, 11:35 AM
It occurs to me that the most difficult pulls in the instance to solo tank are...

1. The dual-flesh beast pulls going from Chess to Prince.
2. Dual-golems pre-Curator (I recommend misdirect-pet kiting)
3. The one blob+3fish pull 3-4 pulls post-Curator.

Those seemed to be harder than anything else, bosses included, on the healers. It was spam heal after spam heal but, obviously, the pulls ended fairly quick one way or the other.

Salvaticus
11-21-2007, 03:14 AM

Wrong. Since we started Karazhan in March I've never had an off-tank for Moroes. He does not stun you if your back is to him.

The way I do it (probably not the best way, but it has worked for the past 8 months): Gun pull, Bloodrage, Shield Slam, Revenge/Devastate x3, Shield Slam. I then turn my back to him and spam Thunderclap and Demo Shout. Once the DPS has killed the adds that aren't being shackled or trapped and moves to Moroes I start watching Omen (KTM works too as long as Moroes is the Master Target). When the #2 threat reaches 90% of my threat I turn to face him and finish the fight tanking normally. Usually the DPS'ers are smart enough to stay below the DPS Warrior/Feral Druid; if not, we get a death or two while I am gouged.

Delicatesse
12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Ya in Nightbane is definitely not one of the hard parts of solo tanking Kara. Illhoof is more of a pain than him by far.

Hmmm exactly how any why???
Only 1 tank is needed, who will tank Illhoof 100% of the time. Kilrek can be offtanked by _anyone_, we use rogue or dps warrior, they just DPS him hard and that's all. Last time we went there with a paladin tanking Ill + most of the imp adds, I just DPSed the whole time, picking up Kilrek in dual wield dps gear, berserker stance and he hits like a girl, no tank needed at all.

Nightbane is not easy to solo tank because of the skellies are hard to control. I usually try to hold the healaggro (save my taunt/intervene for healers) and let dps tank it. Straining on the healers but there is no other way if there is no offtank. And honestly, if 1-2 DPS drops dead it's no problem.

Edit: even hunters can safely tank the red beam at Netherspite, so that's a onetank boss aswell.

FireSide
12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I always solo tank nightbane. We don't even tank the adds realy... we just have everyone assist our enhancment shammy and i tount any skeletons that take off for healers or clothes... but we kill them so fast we usually have a few seconds before nighbane lands again.

As for netherspite do you really dance out of the red beam that much? i get out of it like maybe 3 times during the phase and get back in... never had any problems except one time when the instance server lagged for a couple seconds and the portal phase lasted longer then it should have... i ended up with 1HP max... just had pally bubble me till it wore off and i was back at my normal HP.

Nariju
12-18-2007, 01:55 AM
2. Dual-golems pre-Curator (I recommend misdirect-pet kiting)

Everybody seems to twink tank nowadays, and they all want to tank something. So i never get to solo tank Kara.
My problem with the dual mob pulls is dps... tank no.1 to satisfy dps and the 2nd runs off to the healers or taking my time for no.2 and let the Lock(s) play with the first one. In the end its always me blaming the tank and thinking i could do better.

Same with Romulo/Juliet. Would be fun to tank both, but definitely no fun messing it up.

jlafleur
04-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Surely if you are single tanking moroes you just grab one of the adds (preferably the prot warrior) and tank both?

Then the add breaks gouge/blind for you.

Illhoof is better with 1 tank on both hoof and imp more dps for chains :)

An add will not break gouge for you unfortunately. We only had nine last night for kara so we figured I give solo tanking Moroes a try. Before we went in, we made sure we had the prot warrior in the group with Moroes by reforming the raid and mind visioning Moroes. DPS killed holy priest, trapped and shackled MS warrior and ret pally and I tanked Moroes and prot warrior. As soon as I was gouged, they both went right after healer and killed him. A few of us died so someone just reset the encounter. We subbed out a paladin for his druid and the hunter for his priest and he went down pretty easy without any deaths.

Juised
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
This post surprised me. I've single tanked nightbane but not moroes or even attumen. I would have imagined attumen/moroes to be harder to single tank compared to nightbane. I don't even use shouts anymore on nightbane adds unless something goes wrong.

Vid of me ending up tanking attumen solo when the other tank decides to lag out and do some dumb things >_<

http://files.filefront.com/Omerta+Attumen+the+Huntsman/;10047699;/fileinfo.html

Bigstik
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Regarding the Skeletal Ushers, Spell Reflect, though more or less a shot in the dark with regard to timing, will prevent the Tomb from landing on you. They turn to the second on the threat list, but if you perform some kind of threat-dealing ability (you know, anything that a Warrior can cast), it'll come right back to you.

sevve
04-22-2008, 12:35 AM
I've usually solo tanked Kara aswell, without any real problems.

Moroes: I put on max avoidance gear. I usually don't get a single gouge throughout the encounter.

Ushers: Spell Reflect works well, and I was under the impression that Grounding Totem works(but I'm not completely sure).

Illhoof: Just tank both Illhoof and Imp, they won't be nuking both targets at the same time.

Netherspite: We've allways just skipped half of the red beams, he is completely tankable the normal way. Works well unless your dps is really poor.

Nightbane: Make sure Earth Shield is always up if available. Instruct priests to only do PoM and let the shield wearers do the healing. As mentioned, just spam Thunder Clap and pick up adds that get stuck on healers manually. The dps'ed one doesn't need a tank.

tehgreen
05-06-2008, 12:57 AM
my 2 cents.

attumen: md or save a ss cd.

moroes: rogue, hunter, boomkin second on threat.

opera trash: grounding totem, rogue tank.

bane: party has aoe right?

illhoof: the imp well if u bother to kill him or not he hits like a girl. Just blust and pew pew hard.

spite: the healing pally can take the second red beam.

Mitosis
05-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Here is a very useful tip for solo tanking nightbane--not every skeleton that drops is an elite.

For what it's worth I have single tanked every kara for the past 2-3 months. The run goes much much faster. The only pulls/encounters that are really difficult are the two big guys before curator and the flesh beasts. For netherspite we just get any plate wearer (or a druid) to stand in red for second while I tank green. Lots of times we end up sticking a holy paladin in the red beam.

Rhastah
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
I've looked everywhere but can't find a thread on bear solo tanking Kara. These days prot pallies have zero trouble solo tanking the whole thing, and from this post I can see prot wars are doing it with only a little trouble.

What i'm looking for is a strategy for solo tanking it as a bear. My GM asked me last night if I thought I could do it because we were low on healers so he thought about respeccing holy (pally) and let me tank it. Made me curious if anyone has done it before as a bear, so I started looking for info on how to do it with a single bear tank, can't find anything.

If anyone has any links for a strategy or youtube videos of a bear doing it I'd be greatly appreciative.

Vapes
06-09-2008, 02:40 PM
You can bear tank in almost the same manner as a prot warrior or pally. Most of the mentioned methods will work with a bear. As for Ushers, it's been mentioned you can grounding totem the Ice Tomb (I've seen it work, checked the combat log etc.) Shackle one, put up a grounding totem and you're solid.

Any plate/mail can do Netherspite's red beam for ya, just switch them out (that shaman that is grounding totem and your pally healer for instance can switch out and you can dance your phase in and out).

You should have an easier time w/ skeletons on Nightbane than a warrior, and can just Fear Ward or Tremor Totem through the fears and what not. Other than that... Moroes? I've not tried it but if the dual-tanking of an add and moroes works to break gouge, you win.

Most other stuff is a 1 tank fight anyway, and the ushers are the only trash you'd have to worry about, and that's been covered. Is there any fight in particular you're not sure how to do as a bear?

Hadan
06-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Don't underestimate the ability of a holy pally to offtank. I ran kara awhile ago with one prot warrior tank (I was on my mage) and we had the holy pally building threat on ushers to pick them up when the tank got frozen. Righteous fury + holy shock + heals ensured that he was 2nd on threat. He was also able to help tank adds on Nightbane pretty effectively. Free action potions are also pro, but I would think it would slow you down if you waited for the CD between each pull of the ushers.

orcstar
08-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Due to the OT being killed early in the fight I had to solotank Moroes, luckily I read a bit about it:
I went and go stand ON our paladin, then right after he came out of vanish, I would face him with my back, then the paladin would eat the gouge, I turned around and continued to build threat, counted in my head to 15 and faced him with my back again and pala would eat the gouge.

Ceravantes
08-18-2008, 05:50 AM
If you stand on top of moroes, with your back to him, you can continue to attack him and he can't gouge him. You do take more damage, but really....it's oly kara and if youa re single tanking it, you are well beyond that bit of extra damage really being an issue.

mnswhit
08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Like someone has mentioned earlier, Pallies do have it much easier when it comes to Solo tanking Kara.

Attumen: My conc aura and holy shield keeps aggro on the rider, everyone just focuses.
Moroes: I don't use shackle on this, even it it's available. I have the group burn down all 4 adds while I tank all of them. then, I keep Blessing of Sacrifice on whoever is second in threat. when I get gouged/blinded 1 hit on the 2nd person, and I'm back into tanking. Most people who can hold 2nd place pretty steady usually has the health to get hit once.
Maiden: probably the only fight that really gives me any issues due to silence, but if your dps watches their threat meters, not an issue
Opera: romeo/juliet is easy, big bad wolf is solo tank anyways, Oz can be quite well CC'd with Fears on lion, fire stun scarecrow, and any ranged or melee can kite tin man.
Nightbane: AOE tanking in flight phase is easy enough. Fears my biggest issue, but normally someone in the group can help me break it (tremor totem/fear ward)
Illhoof: I tank em all. have a mage or lock throw some AOE every now and then so I don't have too much on me.
Shade: can't tank him anyways, so I throw on healing gear.
Netherspite: I usually stick a rogue w/ evasion and preparation in red beam, or a holy pally if I got one. We spend more time out of the red beam than in it. Jump en long enough to get another tick or 3, and back out.

Schleppy
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Attumen: Just have dps give you a slightly bigger head start on midnight since you will have a dicey period right when Attumen spawns, you need that cushion the first few times, once you get experienced it will be a snap.

Moroes: I've tanked the ret pally and Ms warrior while a rogue offtanks the holy priest until dps killed the shadow priest. With the varying swing timers on the mobs gouge will break almost instantly. Poison cleansing totem removes the blind, it still works off the old blind mechanic where it is a poison. Misdirect is your friend here early on and make sure you get your back against a wall. Early on the MS warrior gives a big challenge to a group that isnt overgearing the place, but after a few runs he is nothing. The prot warrior is a joke and I hate when my group kills him before Moroes. Spell reflect alone basically will hold aggro on the pally once you get a few dev's on him and a SS for the time it takes dps to burn down the priests.

Nightbane: I have them collapse on me and have an alert dps'er mark the elites to be single-targetted down. No AoE heals allowed until I get aggro on all the non-elites and the elite being killed second. AoE down the non-elites then have them spread back out from his landing spot. All hots must be gone by the time the skele's are, otherwise it can screw things up without a misdirect.

Illhoof: Dps tanks kil'rek and we have a lock to seed-spam the imps. I TC/DS constantly to try and hold a few on me for the free rage. After Illhoof hits 50% I pick up Kil'rek when he spawns for the added rage.

Shade: Dev/WW/interrupt/bandage, tank the add's until either shade or I die.

Opera: I'll "tank" tin man and initially pick up the wolf and get off the first fear so he keeps coming back to me and our lock doesnt risk death. The others are nothing special so nothing worth commenting over. Our group after 44 kara runs now has gotten romeo and juliet exactly twice, so I dont feel qualified to even comment on that.

TheMainFrame
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I Never bring a second tank to Kara... what a waist of time unless your barely geared

Moroes is easy..

Kill Order Skull, Cross, Square, Moroes, Diamond

Just tank him and throw some agro on X.. lets the rouges tank skull cause he will drop uber fast. then they kill X... Square trapped till its ready to kill.. prob one trap if ya move fast... Diamond is shackled (prob the healer of the adds)... after Square drops you all take moreos.. Diamond stays shackled and the hunter drops a ice trap under diamond just for peace of mind... If you really dont have a tank used to soloing the fight a fury warrior makes good offtank

Opera is the only real challand with a solo tank if you get Romeo And Juliette... unless that fury warrior can tank em =)

And the free potion pots work like a charm.. thanks for the tip

TomHuxley
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I've solo tanked everything but Spite and Moroes. Tried Moroes but I didn't know the backing into him trick at the time so we end up bringing in an alt toon usually. Tried Spite once but basically we had too many new people we were trying to drag through (happens even with an off tank if the OT doesn't understand the fight).

Attumen and Illhoof are just your basic "control two mobs" situation. The skeletal ushers often kill one or two even with spell reflect. I've never had a problem with the large golems before Curator, I just tell DPS to give me a 5 count to build agro on both. Skeletons on Nightbane are usually fine as long as DPS single-targets the leets; spamming seed or a mage AOE usually results in losing DPS too early in the fight.

What I'm happiest about though is I'm consistently hitting about 550 DPS on Aran these days when I throw my DPS gear on for that fight. I'm usually able to out DPS the 2-3 people we are trying to gear up; having a prot warrior out DPS you usually motivates them to work on their gear and rotations (and most importantly opens them up to suggestions).

Plus it's fun. :)

CraZySacX
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I've never had a problem with the large golems before Curator, I just tell DPS to give me a 5 count to build agro on both.As a side note here, the two golems at the bottom of the ramp after Curator can be skipped if you hug the left wall. After those two, the rest can be single pulled. The only trash we have occasional trouble with is the Ushers (grounding totems and well timed spell reflects really can help here) when we one tank.

Hinderer
08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Pardon a Pally tank for jumping in, I've one man tanked Kara for the last several (make that many) weeks due to a shortage of tanks in our guild. Keep in mind, progression-wise, Kara is the only raid clear. Attumen, Maiden, Prince, Nightbane, etc etc, all pretty straight forward and one man tank fights anyway (yes, I really don't think any warrior or druid worth their salt is struggling to hard with controlling two mobs for Attumen/Midnight... gear not withstanding).

Moroes fight is helpful to have a pair of shackles (Holy priest heals and Spriest DPS for us), but once they break or things go to hell, I end up tanking it all any way. Easiest way i've found is to down one of the adds while letting consecrate and ret aura establish threat early on. By then the occasional Judgment and and Exorcism will be just fine, just only face him long enough to cast.

Though we could use some help for Netherspite. Our only kill on him is on the one run our other tank (warrior, better geared than I am actually) was able to come. We are a small guild, and our Kara runs are usually with mostly squishies. We do take a shammy healer, resto druid, and a BM hunter (sometimes two). Rest of DPS is cloth, cloth, and a little cloth for spice. We have not been willing to sacrifice the shammy healer if things go bad.

What kinds of tactics should we be using for the phases we don't have
me tanking? We're kind of stalled here, and only here.

mnswhit
09-01-2008, 05:58 AM
as much as I hate putting a healer in the red beam, the resto druid is your best bet, if you tend to go clothy heavy. the real trick to tanking spite is more on the stam than the avoidance/crit. have your resto druid put on whatever stam gear he can, and get him to stay out of the red beam as much as possible, jumping in long enough to get healed, and then back out...that'll allow him to keep his max health up higher. since he probably wont have alot of def/resil or dodge, the extra health will keep him alive.

Another option is to make sure one of your hunters that you bring has Deterence (11 points into survival) and have them tank. just make sure they don't pop it right off. they'll have the health at first to take hits, but if they wait a bit then hit deterence, they can continue to tank the last 10 seconds of red phase.

I pally solo tank it each week, my offtank on netherspite is usually a rogue with alot of dodge, or a balance druid with a stam/feral set.

kemsozuoz
09-03-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a warrior and for the last 6 months i am running kara for badges and always I am tanking alone.. never needed an off tank.. our dps probably is very high ...

I never use cc in kara such as a priest or hunter..

Attumen is really easy to tank alone.. just keeping two mobs only.. if u have some1 to decurse its really easy to do

Moroes also doesnt have problems even without ccing any mob there..
dont tank skull pure all out nuke and tank the other mobs..
I rarely get gouge there maybe 1 for the whole fight..

Nightbane can be really easily solo tanked.. first and second adds use tab devastate and shield slam fast with tc adn demo .. u should really easily keep them of aoe if u are fast at sundering up the mobs... third pack adds use tc and demo then 5 secs after aoe starts use challenging shout to get rest to u..

Netherspite is the place where u will need another one to take red in second portal phase.. a holy pala if u have or if u dont any mail user can do it really easily..

we run kara with 1 tank 7 dps and 2 healers.. longest we finish is 2 hour 15 mins.. shortest we did it in 1 hour 53 mins and there was still room for improvement..

Daavos
09-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I would have expected this type of post on the forums. "I solo'd kara /flex!"

IMO taking only one tank to kara is idotic.

Sure, if you're on a badge run in your T5/T6 gear and your tank is super competent you don't need an off-tank. But this is prefect opertunity for your guild/friends to gear up one their alts or their off spec, and acquire tanking gear and skills.

Everyone qq's about the lack of tanks but taking only one tank to Kara is just another form of not taking Blue geared tanks to Heroics.

Hinderer
09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I would have expected this type of post on the forums. "I solo'd kara /flex!"

IMO taking only one tank to kara is idotic.

Sure, if you're on a badge run in your T5/T6 gear and your tank is super competent you don't need an off-tank. But this is prefect opertunity for your guild/friends to gear up one their alts or their off spec, and acquire tanking gear and skills.

Everyone qq's about the lack of tanks but taking only one tank to Kara is just another form of not taking Blue geared tanks to Heroics.

Yes, you are correct here on quite a few points. No Kara run should be made that doesn't at least consider taking alts that need gear. Also, it is very easy to get caught up in "I'm uber-l33t cuz I don't need help." However, speaking for myself, and probably for a few other people here, I know I would relish being able to take any other kind of tank. Problem is, we don't have them. We have two other warriors, but they are alts of our primary DPSers, and as small as we are as a guild, we still need them in that role. That leaves the issue of out MT who is only able to run currently once every couple of weeks. End result: I solo tank, or we don't run. Please don't assume we're all trying to show off our epeen's here, some of us just need to know if there is another way to see content.

My apologies to the rest of the forum community if I sound like I'm trolling after that.

mnswhit
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
If I made it sound like I was /flexing my solo abilities in Kara, it wasn't the point. I do it every week, yes, but that doesn't mean I don't try to take someone. Every Tank class has a dps spec, at least one of my dps in my group is always gearing to be the next tank. I agree with Daavos's statement. There are way to few tanks out there. But if the person I bring is willing to go or stay dps spec for the run, then by all means, it's an extra dps that we wouldn't normally have. and if your geared enough to solo tank kara, chances are you won't be rolling on the drops, so it's like free loot to a fury warrior, or a ret paladin.

There's an occasional time when I either can't find someone to fit that category, or I'm in too big of a hurry to wait around to find someone like that, and I'll do the run without. My main reason for running kara at all is, for badges. But for the most part, I like taking a fury warrior, or feral druid. comes in handy when a healer all of a sudden has to afk, or I just feel like being lazy