PDA

View Full Version : To recruit or not to recruit...hmm.

Tristessa
10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Got an interesting question needing your opinion, peoples. My guild has 13 active level 70s, "specializations" of which are comprised of:
*. 2 tanks (+1 newly 70)
*. 3 healers
*. 7 ranged DPS classes

armory link (http://www.wowarmory.com/guild-info.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Dead+Or+Alive&p=1)

We're a very casual/family-oriented guild, and managed to get through 4 organized, joint Kara runs with another small guild--who provided a Resto Druid and an Affliction warlock. We've had a fairly moderate progression in this respect. I've also set a guild alliance with two other guilds who are almost geared up to start tackling Heroics.

Question #1: should I actively recruit for like-minded people or just wait for our 2 members (67 Pally + 66 Shaman) to get to 70 and geared up? While we can comfortably have enough people to do Kara as a weekly event, I'm not sure if I should even try to attract a few more people in so as not to make the guildchat too quiet.

Question #2: our Warrior who's just dinged 70 and our 67 Pally had two different guilds try to "poach" them. Should I even bother talking to their GM about this? =p

Any opinions welcome--thanks in advance!

Ceravantes
10-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Well it all depends on your ultimate goal, if playing with the sam group of people and progressing at a slow, steady rate stick with what you have. If you think you would like to move on eventually it would be good to start recruiting now.

Horacio
10-25-2007, 07:44 AM
As far as "poaching" goes, its really a gray area. You provide a place for them to play where they don't otherwise and if they like your guild better, that's not really poaching. Most skilled players are guilded. Its awfully lonely going around unguilded and if you have any sort of reputation or gear, you'll get an endless stream of /ginvites. To recruit people, you will most likely have to recruit people who are guilded and in that case, its more a matter of how you do it as opposed to whether or not you do.

If maintaining the family/friendly guild culture is your priority, make all of your recruitment decisions based upon that. Keep an eye on it. What so often happens is that getting a taste of raiding sets people down that path and goals/ideals change a little. At some point your people might want to be the little family/friendly guild that can kill a few more bosses.

My best advice is not to jump too quick in any direction. IE, don't kill Prince and then spam recruit 15 people so you can get to work on Gruul.

nethervoid
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Q1: This is a really difficult topic for people it seems. It doesn't have to be. It's a matter of expectations. First of all, you must make either raiding or no-obligations, family-style your anchor point. This point will drive all your policies, as well as your recruiting drive.

- Raiding

If you choose this option, you don't have to be hardcore, but you set the expectation of your members and new recruits that they are expected to raid and try to make the schedule. If you are casual, you just tone down your schedule, but still expect people to be at most raids.

With this type of focus, your members expect policy and recruiting to revolve around raiding. While this does not mean you are going to recruit anyone and everyone so you can raid, you will be looking at both personality and also commitment to raiding. At the same time, members should expect policy to revolve around strengthening the raid and away from the individual him or herself: policies where you need a specific amount of spec x on your raids, gear level policies, enchant and gem policies, etc.

- Family, no-commitment

If you choose this option, you should expect raiding to take a back seat to individual goals. This kind of a guild is really just a group of friends with all sorts of different goals. Your policy cannot force any community goals without taking away some of the 'freedom' you've set up as a priority.

As you can see these two things are in direct opposition. You must make the decision early and stick to it, else you will have a lot of change, which can and usually ends up causing a lot of turnover.

If I were you, I would start with the first question. Once you have this answered...firmly and clearly answered you will know what to do. Too many guilds try to do both, and it's just an exersize in frustration, IMO.

Q2: If they're poaching, they won't care if you don't like it. They've already shown themselves to be selfish b***ards. Talking to them won't do any good.

If your guildies like your guild, they'll stay. Although sometimes people leave because their goals do not align with their guild, which is why choosing between casual raiding and family is such an important thing to make ultra-clear to your guild and your new recruits. If you are casual-raiding, then your members will expect policy to enforce this and also policy to support progression. If you are a family guild, members will expect to be given almost ultimate personal freedom to do whatever they want all the time. Choose wisely. lol

Sounds like you've got a complicated guild for so few members, but alliances can do that I guess. Maybe just merge with those guilds? Sounds like it would be easier than holding like 4 alliances or whatever.

*edited for clarity

Specifically about recruiting, if you ever plan on tackling 25 man content (and I wouldn't suggest it if you are a family guild) start recruting now. You will need about 3 times the membership you needed for Kara, and you don't really even have enough for that yet.