PDA

View Full Version : Fury vs Arms for 25 man Raids

Alamir
10-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Normally, I am a tank...and I am well geared to handle anything up to and including gruul's. However, we have started progression in areas beyond gruul's (Void Reaver, Magtheridon, and SSC)...We are lucky to have several good tanks in the guild and I am not always needed as a tank. So, I double as dps in 25 mans. Oddly enough, my dps gear is just as good, if not better than my tanking gear. I am Alamir on Hydraxis, if anyone wants to check out my dps gear.

Anyway...one of my raid leaders is pushing me to spec arms for 25 mans so that I can use the 4% damage bonus for all physical attacks. She claims that not only will the rogues and hunters benefit, but my dps will likely go up.

Right now I am specced duel wielding fury with some arms and I am struggling with what to do. I find it hard to believe that an arms warrior can out-dps an equally geared fury warrior in 25 mans. But, I know the 4% damage bonus can be pretty valuable. I really don't know anything about arms. I don't PvP and have never really specc'd arms.

Anyone have any advice?

Daylanor
10-07-2007, 01:13 PM
With good DW Fury gear speccing into Arms will lower your dps at your progression.

Do WWS on a raid and see how much physical damage is done on the bosses, add 4% on that.
Now the hard part is to see if these 4% extra dmg is greater than the dps loss you would entail by speccing out of DW fury :).

And remember these 4% will only be effictive on NON bleed immune bosses.

It's also a matter if your 2h gear is as good as your DW gear :).

elrusoloco
10-07-2007, 07:48 PM
While I have no raiding experience, I did level as Arms up to about 55 and Fury to 70 - I for sure experienced a drastic increase in sustained DPS with Fury. Arms is a superior spec for burst damage, which is more valuable for PVP. The one caveat of using a DW Fury build is a necessity for a great deal of +hit rating gear - dual-wielders are punished with an initial 28% miss rate. 3% of this can be eliminated with the Precision talent in the Fury tree; the rest, you must make up in gear. If your current DPS set does not add up to at least 10% of increased hit (mouse over the Hit Rating number in the Melee section of your character sheet), Arms may be a better spec for you to dish out maximum damage, as you would need to accumulate some 7.5% additional chance to hit to virtually eliminate misses against raid bosses.

brain9h
10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Arms is superior if you have low latency (<100).

The correct way to play arms for dps is to spec either sword or axe, super slow weapon, all out str+crit rating gear (avoid attack power gems), improved slam 2/2 and do the rotation properly. That's why lag is an issue, its important to time slam properly.

and... the 4&#37; more damage overall from blood frenzy is just too much

Daylanor
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Now Fury is getting 10&#37; less threat talented as well :D. Means we can push more faster :p.

iwantbatteries
10-09-2007, 05:31 AM
that slam stuff, you can resolve the same way mages do and cancel the attack *inset your letentcy here* before the bar reaches the end, and start the next attack

Meeks
10-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Yes, Quartz is invaluable to Arms dps.

Morthengel
10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
I raided a few months 33/28, then 31/30. I am much more happier now with dual wielding 17/44.

Reasons:

1) It gets too hard to watch a stupid swing timer in addition to omen+bigwigs, while managing to stay alive in ssc/tk.
2) If you have to move to survive (gruul, voidreaver,...) your slam rotation gets disturbed which lowers your dps a lot.

WF was making up for those. After the nerf, it doesnt.