PDA

View Full Version : Off Tank Gearing Questions

Lavache
09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
when i am setting up off tank positions in 25man content, i am never sure how to tell them to gear up. for instance - the trash around lurker that requires 3-4 tanks - should the dps warriors toss on 490def gear and a shield to tank, or just roll in their dps gear with a shield?

in terms of raid make up it varies depending on who is online but we generally have:

2 protection warriors
2-3 DPS warriors
2-3 Bears
1-2 Prot Pallies

we are slowly moving into 25man stuff, and i am pretty new to raid leading / setting up tanks beyond 10man content.

Mesh
09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd go for tanking gear. Sure, those mobs don't hit that hard, but on the other hand if you are starting the instance you will still have to learn the trash pulls. Which means that sometimes people will die. You don't know, how hard some mobs will hit. Some of them hit pretty hard. Also its handy if your offtank can pick up an additional mob if something goes wrong (tank one of the harder hitting mobs).
But if you have prot paladins or ferals ready, let them tank. You won't need their heals and a DPS warrior does less threat than a feral while doing at least his DPS (at least in my experience).

Marle
09-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd go for full-on tanking gear, but ask for 490 def and a shield at least. The mobs may not hit that hard, but a crit is still going to hurt.

If you're going to ask DPS ferals or warriors to tank, it's nice have them on the first mobs. Once their target is dead, they can help with DPS on the other mobs. Ferals are especially good at this since they have pretty high threat in bear and good damage when switching to cat without needing a full gear swap. DPS warriors (in my experience, at least) tend to need a little bit longer to build a threat lead, so they'll often take the second target (unless a Misdirection is handy or their tanking gear especially sucks).

Just make sure you always try to use the specced tanks (prot warriors and prot paladins) ahead of the others, since they offer little else when they aren't tanking. Prot pallies are especially good at taking the three little Broken engineers in those packs, just tell them to be careful with Consecration around the sheeped priestesses.

Lavache
09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Just make sure you always try to use the specced tanks (prot warriors and prot paladins) ahead of the others, since they offer little else when they aren't tanking. Prot pallies are especially good at taking the three little Broken engineers in those packs, just tell them to be careful with Consecration around the sheeped priestesses.

we actually had the rogues & enhancement shaman take care of them - and it worked really well. we were light on tanks the night we went in.

Marle
09-25-2007, 07:11 PM
That works too, they die quick and hit like little girls :)

Aelvain
09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Naturally you should have the prot warriors and prot pallies tanking first and foremost (as long as they have the gear). For extra adds, have the ferals tank, and if you need even more tanking you can use the dps warriors. Non-protection tanking threat generation is very, very weak in comparison to all these other tanks, and the dps warriors will do more when not tanking than any of these other classes, so this "order" makes the most sense. In general they should use tanking gear when tanking trash, possibly with a few pieces of dps gear or shield block/hit gear thrown in, but tanking gear is usually just fine. For SSC you shouldn't need more than 5 tanks at any given time, so really the dps warriors shouldn't ever be tanking if you have 2 prot warriors, 1 prot pally and 2 ferals. Hope this helped, good luck and have fun!

Lavache
09-27-2007, 06:47 AM
thanks for the advice :)