PDA

View Full Version : Flogging will continue...

psychostomp
09-12-2007, 06:35 AM
ok thread title doesnt exactly fit but it got your attention.

On our guild forums we only have at most 5 -7 people that actually read anything posted therein. Whats the best/easiest way to get people to use them? Should i threaten flogging :D

Lavache
09-12-2007, 07:26 AM
i think people read at least some of what i post (i write alot on the guild forums) but they dont post. we also have all our raid signups on the forum right now, and generally dont give raid spots to people who dont sign up. i really would love to have a busy forum but it doesnt seem to be happening yet. some of that is carry over from the preivous gm & officers who didnt really foster open communication at all.

psychostomp
09-12-2007, 07:31 AM
i wish ppl would even read ours i dont care too much if they post. Our warrior section of course is chock full of links here virtually every other class subforum has a ton of good info but no one uses it.
I get asked at least once a week how do you get arena points/gear. Guess what i have a nifty little break down written on the forums.

Lavache
09-12-2007, 07:44 AM
yeah, ive had a number of questions asked that are all answered (i think) in the guild forum. people want things spoon-fed to them some days...

Ciderhelm
09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
For our big boss kills we posted strategies to our private forums. If people didn't respond to the post saying they understood (or with a question), they didn't get an invite.

Ceravantes
09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Having people respond to boss strat's, if anyone ever asks me a question that is answered, I send them to the forum's. In the gmotd I put very vague information, and go into detail on the forums and direct people there. So far traffic has increased, but not to the point I think it should be.

Although, I come from eq, as I am sure many of you do. It seems there is a general lack of interest in forums for most people in this game compared to that one, perhaps the incredible number of more casual gamers? That is really the only reason I can come up with, especially for the more casual raiding guild, As the older mmo's had a smaller, more tight knit group of gamers.

Stonehoof
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Just bust out the Slavedriver's Cane and Old Teamster's Skull. Then use harsh language to motivate them to get on the forum, threaten them with the staff and skull and if that does not work - crack some heads and add some skulls to your collection.

Also works for raid attendance.

Mwuhahahahahahahaha

Stonehoof
09-12-2007, 09:37 AM
In all honesty you can start using the Van Halen Clause.

Post a strategy or what ever. Then deep within the strategy or post, put something in like a required item (broke pig tusk or dried basilisk tongue) or command (like an in game mail or forum e-mail). Then you can check to see who read the strategy or post because they would of either done the said command or have the required item.

It’s called the Val Halen Clause because they wrote deep within their contract that there must be a bowl of green M&Ms in their dressing room. If there wasn’t a bowl of green M&Ms they knew that the person did not read (or is not fulfilling) the contract and they would just leave and not play there.

Kazeyonoma
09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Create a muted rank of the guild that no one is allowed to get out of till they whisper you a password posted in the forums to ensure they at least register.

after that, then you promote em out of said rank, and say you need to check forums daily since that is where raid schedule will be posted, not signing up for raids on the forums = no spot in said raid.

enforce it, even if it means no progression raiding that week to show em you mean business!

Penlowe
09-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Have you (OP) ever been to Blackbeard's bar & grill in Corpus Christi Texas? their tee shirts say "the flogging will continue untill morale improves!"- You made me giggle.

Generating forum trolls is hard- but once the ball is rolling it really starts rolling : ) You Tube is your friend nothing better than:
[Redd]"OMG did you see what Bob posted? It's awesome"
[Steve] "what?"
[Redd] it's on the forum, you gotta see the picture"

Get your all purpose trolls entertaining the troops and the troops will get in the habit of going there- then on a slow news day they just might read all that other stuff there....

psychostomp
09-19-2007, 01:29 AM
nice ideas and i thinkk if we used forum sign ups that would help instead we use Guild Event Manager which imo just makes players even lazier than before.

nethervoid
09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
All the suggestions here are good. I find using the MOTD to post vague clues about stuff on the forums is a good hook.

WoW is really a different beast than EQ, with many WoWers around who are new to MMOGs and never played EQ. I've even heard some guilds say 'A website? It's useless. We have vent.' LOL Made me laugh.

Another way to get people to the forums, posting, reading, and asking questions is to post some polls about 'What do you think about this or that?'. I've found that works real well with getting the guild talking about what they like or dislike, or just general theorizing about what they think is the best way to do this or that. It gets them talking.