PDA

View Full Version : Resilience vs. defence

DaddyGamer
09-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Hi
I am gearing up my warrior and is looking into how to gear him up the best. After reading Bergh's tanking gear guide at the forum I have begun toying with the idea of resilience not being such a bad choice.

The thing that got me started was Helm of the Stalwart defender, 1366 armor, 47 sta, 3 gems, +23 defence and +23 resilience. This is a potential 83 sta and the 23 defence aint shabby either. But what about the resilience?

I wonder 2 things.

1. How much will this lower my "uncrittable" def cap to? If someone can give me the exact resilience/defence ratio I would be happy (both actual value and rating would be nice).

2. How much will this gimp my dodge/parry/block/miss rating? Is there some ratio here? Like for every 20 defence lowered you loose 1% dodge/parry/block/miss. As I understand it going over the 490 cap is not so interesting since 1 defence nets you 0.04 in dodge parry block or so. Is this linear so lowering defence 25 lowers 1% even under def 490?

Thnx in advance all you masters of tanking knowledge and archwarrriors of theorycraft.

Armstrong
09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi
I am gearing up my warrior and is looking into how to gear him up the best. After reading Bergh's tanking gear guide at the forum I have begun toying with the idea of resilience not being such a bad choice.

The thing that got me started was Helm of the Stalwart defender, 1366 armor, 47 sta, 3 gems, +23 defence and +23 resilience. This is a potential 83 sta and the 23 defence aint shabby either. But what about the resilience?

I wonder 2 things.

1. How much will this lower my "uncrittable" def cap to? If someone can give me the exact resilience/defence ratio I would be happy (both actual value and rating would be nice).

2. How much will this gimp my dodge/parry/block/miss rating? Is there some ratio here? Like for every 20 defence lowered you loose 1% dodge/parry/block/miss. As I understand it going over the 490 cap is not so interesting since 1 defence nets you 0.04 in dodge parry block or so. Is this linear so lowering defence 25 lowers 1% even under def 490?

Thnx in advance all you masters of tanking knowledge and archwarrriors of theorycraft.

Combat rating system - WoWWiki, the Warcraft wiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Combat_Rating_System)

Defense Skill always has the same effect regardless of how much you already have, except for the crit reduction component once you have reached immunity to crits versus a certain opponent level.

At level 70:

2.37 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill = +0.04% Miss, +0.04% Dodge, +0.04 Parry, +0.04% Block, -0.04% Crit.

39.4 Resillience Rating = -1% Crit and -2% Crit damage.

Helm of the Stalwart Defender would basically reduce your Defense Skill requirement for being immune to crits from level 73 mobs by 14.59, or in other words down from 490 to 476. Assuming you have 5/5 Anticipation, that means you need a total of 252 Defense Rating to get there.

If you were to lose exactly 14 Defense Skill in exchange for the 23 Resillience, you would be giving up 0.56% Miss, 0.56% Dodge, 0.56% Parry and 0.56% Block. That's 1.68% avoidance altogether, plus the 0.56% Block.

Horacio
09-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Question. I am under the impression that in an upcoming patch they may modify resilliance to make it reduce damage taken by DoTs, generally in response to a warlock's ability in PvP to DoT, DoT, fear, skillcoil, rinse/repeat.

If that is true, I can think of several instances where bosses in raid encounters apply DoTs....Prince(SW:P) for example. I wonder if that will apply and if it will make it a little bit more attractive. Hmmm...

Anyhow, I am currently rocking Merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall and it drops me below 390 def but the resiliance makes up for it in terms of crit immunity. Losing the defense for the avoidance hurts a little but the EF gain is massive and I am happy with my choice (and my DKP savings passing the Gruul shield)

Same with that helm. That is a very hefty amount or armor and stamina and you are getting some def there. I don't know what you're contemplating replacing in that slot but anything short of Warbringer its probably a good choice and even then you may make a case.

puda
09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure if i follow the Resilience formula correctly.
Am i to believe that 221 resilience which would = to 5.6% immune to crit?

I currently have 266 resilience on my pvp warrior and the tooltip displays decreases chance to crit by 6.75%. but, Enrage still procs meening i'm still taking critical hits.

What is the real cap of resilience converted to def?

Narshe
09-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Resilience works that if you was going to receive a crit but resilience prevents it you still proc abilities that trigger on crit. That was done because on Arena testing no warrior was wearing resilience in order to gain enrage.
Now you can see yourself enraging from no crits, but that means that shot was gonna be a crit but resilience prevented it.

When we talk about being inmune to crit with defense or resilience, we mean against lvl73 mobs. They have (iirc) 5.60% chance to crit. A regular DPSer player stand at 25-35% crit, depending on the class. That's why u still see crits even when u are pve-crit inmune.

Bulldozzer
10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
So then effectively, if I have 80 resilience, and my 3% crit avoidance as a bear, I only need defence to make up .6 further reduction if the math serves?

Then I would only need 366 defense to be over cap?

Holy Jeebus! That means a LOT more stam and dodge.

Mograth
10-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, You can combine defense and resilience to get 5.6% lesser chance of being critted. This is a good idea to do as a druid as you just missout dodge and hit chance on you, And you may stack dodge and stamina instead.

Imi
10-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Resilience works that if you was going to receive a crit but resilience prevents it you still proc abilities that trigger on crit. That was done because on Arena testing no warrior was wearing resilience in order to gain enrage.
Now you can see yourself enraging from no crits, but that means that shot was gonna be a crit but resilience prevented it.

Actually: Resiliance gives you a passive ability to proc. things that would proc off crits, off normal hits. The game doesn't currently have a way to calculate if the attack would have crit you, and then proc your 'On crit' abilities.

Wear 490 resil and stand on a Brazer in Ironforge, It will enrage you, Eventually. Dispite that it cannot crit. This can be shown for every class that has an 'On crit' Ability.

Other things for example, Vashj Phase 2, Void Reaver 'Thunderclap' etc. All can proc enrage wearing even 1 resiliance. The more you have the better the chance.

Not to say that wearing Resiliance in PVE is a good idea, unless the item is truely the best you have.

puda
10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, From the calculations does 221 resilience really = 490 def. "Uncrittable" pve wise?

If not how much Resilience would be required to be uncrittable in pve?