PDA

View Full Version : Can I tank in Gruuls lair with this gear ?

kurtbrian
09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Armoury link in my signature.

My guild is slowly getting to a size where we can attempt to enter Gruul's Lair.
We have cleared kara except netherspite and nightbane. (fairly certain that netherspite will go down in a week or two)

So the big question is, do I have the gear to tank the Highking Maulgar and eventually Gruul?

I'm hoping to get the shoulders from netherspite soonsih, and I have considered going armoursmithing when i get some more nethers for the chest piece. Haven't started arena yet, but I'm slowly warming up to the idea for that shield. Curator haven't been good to me so far - The leggings haven't dropped for yet.:(

Anything I really need to change?

Mesh
09-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Your shoulders are your weakest spot right now. Try getting bold or those ones from heroic crypta (bladefans). I saw those netherspite shoulders drop only once...when I already had the destroyer ones. So don't count on it. Otherwise your gear looks ok. It might get a little bit tight for Gruul, if your DPS is not good to kill him within 14-15 growth. Also due to your low avoidance your will probably get quite a beating from Maulgar, if his tripple hits, but fully raidbuffed you should be able to survive if your healers are on the ball. However: use Ironshields for Maulgar and Gruul (from Growth 8 or so on). I'd also recommend to exchange the Autoblocker for a more defensive trinket (Adamantite Figure comes into mind since it has a nice use effect - alternatively get a second stam trinket).

kurtbrian
09-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback :)

Will try to get some crypts heroics going for the shoulders, and also get some ironshield potions.

Paruhdox
09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I think you could tank gruul if your entire raid is compiled with amazing players, thats very rare though. There are still a lot of upgrades for you from the first few bosses of karazhan that you should really focus on as well. The neck from maiden, trinket/blet from moroes and legs from curator would all be big upgrades, as well as the helm from the stage event.

kurtbrian
09-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I think you could tank gruul if your entire raid is compiled with amazing players, thats very rare though. There are still a lot of upgrades for you from the first few bosses of karazhan that you should really focus on as well. The neck from maiden, trinket/blet from moroes and legs from curator would all be big upgrades, as well as the helm from the stage event.

I know all about those drops - But they refuse to drop for me. :(

EDIT: And we are just about to start on gruul so it will probably take some weeks before we are past high king maulgar and friends.
Hopefully extra tank loot will drop for me in kara.

Mesh
09-07-2007, 03:23 AM
In the end, if you can tank solidly Maulgar you should be able to tank Gruul since the spike damage is pretty similar (Maulgar triple to Gruul at 13-14) - but your raid should have sufficient DPS to kill him when he is at that stage. If at your gear level he gets any larger, you will probably get butchered :P When I tanked Gruul first, I was only slightly better equipped though (some more Kara stuff). Nowadays your raid should have more DPS due to the availability of season 2 weapons.