PDA

View Full Version : Correct My Mistakes

Ciderhelm
09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Did I screw this up? Matthew is coding the signature, the variables referred to are pulled from the XML information on WoWArmory:

[edited]

^^ above equation might completely suck or be inefficient. I'm no math major. Fix it up at will.

Klimpen
09-05-2007, 09:39 PM
1/ Is the *.9 Defensive Stance? If so, you should add a 'getclass' or whatever. *.9 for warriors, *.94 for Pallies, not sure if druids have any passive DR.

2/ Change the 'Avoidance' to 'Pure Avoidance', I'm incuding this as Pure Avoidance doesn't include chance to block (which is important in calculating uncrushability) while Avoidance does. Block Rating is a hybrid stat, no hybrids in a 'Pure' number.

3/ I think it could be interesting to have it calculate the DR on a 10k (unmitigated) hit. You'd be able to factor in things like BV, which does have an impact on DR. Also, point 1.

Ciderhelm
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I dunno what crazy world Tankadins live in these days, but in my world, Block is Mitigation. :p

Yeah, getclass will probably be done, or more likely, a signature for tankadins will be made which doesn't blatantly call you a Warrior. :)

We can't get too crazy with uber accurate DR numbers, as Shield Block Value (believe it or not) is no where to be found on the Armory listing. At least, I sure as hell don't see it in the XML.

Klimpen
09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I dunno what crazy world Tankadins live in these days, but in my world, Block is Mitigation. :p

Avoidance is a _____% chance to reduce damage by 100%
Block is a _____% chance to reduce damage by _____
Mitigation is a 100% chance to reduce damage by ____%

If you're uncrushable, then sure, it'll act like mitigation. If you're not it's hybrid Avoidance/Mitigation.

Yeah, getclass will probably be done, or more likely, a signature for tankadins will be made which doesn't blatantly call you a Warrior. :)

That's cool, just wanted the distinction to be there.

We can't get too crazy with uber accurate DR numbers, as Shield Block Value (believe it or not) is no where to be found on the Armory listing. At least, I sure as hell don't see it in the XML.

O_o;

Ciderhelm
09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah I'm not sure who at Blizzard decided to introduce a really important stat and put it absolutely nowhere on the character pane or armory. Coulda had a cool Shield Slam section. :(

Per Avoidance/Block, I'm referring to actual definition of the words. "The act of avoiding or keeping away from" vs. "To moderate (a quality or condition) in force or intensity; alleviate." Since Block never avoids but always moderates, we just lump it with Mitigation. Real nasty subject on the Warrior forums.

Klimpen
09-05-2007, 10:00 PM
It helps you avoid crushing blows... >_>

Ciderhelm
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Touche.

Gyunikuana
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
O.o We getting CCS in there too?

Crimsonstorm
09-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Showing the effect of shield block on hits of different sizes would be cool.

For example, it could show it agiants a 5k hit from a heroic trash mob, and from hits of various bosses, like gruul, mag, etc, etc.

When youre fighting a boss and keep shield block all the time, block value works like armor. Varying amounts of armor depending on the size of the hits.

Ciderhelm
09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Crimson, Block Value doesn't show up on Armory XML, just like it doesn't show up in-game. We'd have it on there in a heartbeat if it did. :(

Kazeyonoma
09-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Exactly, since SBV comes in after armor reduction, if you can steadily keep shield block up 100% of the time, it works exactly like armor, POST reduction. sometimes pushing things by an addition 10-15% reduction.

Kazeyonoma
09-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Double post!

yeh that sucks how it doesn't show up, and no way to retrieve it manually either eh? ;T blah!

Jadye
09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Perhaps a bit tedious but you do have the equipment so you could make a lookup table for the more common block values.

Crimsonstorm
09-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Crimson, Block Value doesn't show up on Armory XML, just like it doesn't show up in-game. We'd have it on there in a heartbeat if it did. :(

Dang. I suppose it would be too hard to calculate from item/talents...

I like my addon that calculates it for me in the character window. (Its the one that someone here posted a link to).

Crimsonstorm
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I tend to find that my 600 block value is worth as much mitigation as several thousand armor :) Even more on light hitting mobs.

Roana
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I would have to disagree with the usage of "damage reduction" here, since Blizzard already uses the term to describe damage mitigation from armor. It's generally a bad idea to redefine existing game terms.

Ciderhelm
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Whoa, didn't even see you had registered here Cat. Good to see you!

What would you suggest?

Kazeyonoma
09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
How bout Total Damage Absorption? nah not good..

Total Damage Negation?
Total Damage Mitigation
Total Damage Decrease?
Total Effective Reduction?

hrm!

Roana
09-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Whoa, didn't even see you had registered here Cat. Good to see you!

What would you suggest?

Well, with friends I just use "damage mitigation" as the generic term for both damage reduction and avoidance, but on forums that tends to get me my head bitten off. :)

Seriously, though, I'm not sure if there's a good option. Most English words that my thesaurus offers me as alternatives are rather poor fits. The best I can think of is something like "Incoming DPS Reduction", if I want to be precise, but that's probably too technical to be good for general communication.

Kazeyonoma
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Lol, i was gonna suggest incoming damage reduction as well, but decided "incoming" makes forum trolls heads explode.

how bout we just go by Ciderhelm's quote:
"How much reduction you provide to better the amount of damage you can take"

Sounds good to me.!

Klimpen
09-10-2007, 01:02 PM
I'd suggest 'Average Damage Reduction.'

Sits the most comftably with me.

Roana
09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Lol, i was gonna suggest incoming damage reduction as well, but decided "incoming" makes forum trolls heads explode.

Well, the key in the phrase I chose is not "incoming" but "DPS" to make clear that I am referring to aggregate damage, not an individual event. The word "incoming" then is needed because "DPS" is more commonly used when you are doing damage. A rogue would likely go "huh?" when seeing the term "DPS reduction".

Personally, I'll still stick with mitigation. :)

Kazeyonoma
09-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Ahh, i will stick with:
"How much reduction you provide to better the amount of damage you can take"

Rolls off the tongue no?