PDA

View Full Version : Guides We're Looking For (Write One!)

Ciderhelm
08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
-Any Instance or Encounter Guide
-Leveling Grinding Spots
-Detailed Profession Guides (Blacksmithing, Engineering, Mining)
-Paladin or Druid Guides
-Raid Leadership, Guild Leadership Guides

Also, to those with a gear guide:
I finally got the item links working on the frontpage. We may be able to put more gear guides to the frontpage, not just on the forums.

Know a good guide? Ask the author to post it here!

Got a suggestion?

adrenalize
08-30-2007, 05:19 AM
I haven't seen one, So an arms/pvp Guide would be great for those of us coming out of a tanking role to PvP for a while

Ciderhelm
08-30-2007, 05:25 AM
Adren, you had a chance to look at this yet?
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/theory-articles-guides/31991-dreasus-guide-pvp-warriors.html

adrenalize
08-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Aha, Thats exactky what im looking for, My power off Search is not strong

Lavache
08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
-Detailed Profession Guides (Blacksmithing, Engineering, Mining)

im sure willhelm would gladly lend his BS guide for the forum. he haunts the profession forum on the WoW site. he might also have a pally guide laying around.

Ariedan
08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
You know what would be nice, actually? Tanking guides for raiding encounters. When I first started raiding, I was petrified the guides on Bosskillers and WoWWiki just weren't detailed enough for a new tank. Hydross is great example. There are just certain things that tanks need to know that the boss guides never share.

Kazeyonoma
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I think paruhdox is hitting that department as we speak, I'll try to come out with another heroic guide by next week.

Ariedan
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Paruhdox, not sure how far you are in progression, but could you possibly write one for BT? It's newer to me (been there twice?) and I'd like to be as prepared as possible. (I've done the first three bosses, although some of the trash I didn't understand as it was trash everyone else had done before so the pulls were quick and unexplained, so a trash description as well would be lovely).
Your other two guides are developing nicely, by the way. :)

Paruhdox
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
I will when i kill the rest of BT! Once i get caught up with SSC and TK i will, we are on teron gorefiend right now he should die tonight though!... so I will make some stuff for you once im caught up and comfortable with the encounter.

Baelor
09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
A good starter guide for paladins is Gestalt's "Tankadin 101", found on his forum:
Tanking guides Tankadin 101 (http://tanking.sneakykitty.com/?page_id=3)

... or copy-pasted into a thread on the Maintankadin forums by site admin, Aergis:
Maintankadin :: View topic - Tankadin 101 - Gestalt (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=7)

Devro
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking about writing a BC Shield Block Value Gear Guide. Think it would have any value?

Ciderhelm
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking about writing a BC Shield Block Value Gear Guide. Think it would have any value?

It'd probably have hundreds of value!

:D

(ok but it could be very helpful)

Teragon
09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
i'm hoping thousands of value =o ok in all seriousness.... a SBV guide would be AWESOME

Soulonn
09-13-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm going to work on a guide to casual raiding guilds when I get some time (rl+the game=barely time to sleep). This will be from the perspective of what worked for my old guild in Everquest, a casual raiding guild (also referred to as a perfect guild - no joke) I was a part of for 4 years. It will most likely be a few MS Word pages long.

Bulldozzer
10-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Psychostomp's been on me to help with a druid guide for a couple of months now. What are you looking for in terms of the guide? Gearing, tank strats, yelling at your dps is quixotic ways telling them you only have one taunt, all of this?

Finally hit 25K armor, w/ 28% dodge, so am almost content.

Ciderhelm
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Psychostomp's been on me to help with a druid guide for a couple of months now. What are you looking for in terms of the guide? Gearing, tank strats, yelling at your dps is quixotic ways telling them you only have one taunt, all of this?

Finally hit 25K armor, w/ 28% dodge, so am almost content.

All of that sounds good, we are distinctly absent of too much Druidic info atm. :)

Aaesop
10-07-2007, 04:54 AM
I've been slowly compiling a paladin guide. I really wanted to wait a while while I gathered more raid exp in that role before I decided to tackle something like this. The interaction between myself and my warrior and druid guildies that I tank with weekly compounded that idea. At any rate its in the works and hopefully with video :D

Tristessa
10-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Just wondering if these guides will be useful:
1. All you need to know about Crowd Control
2. Normal 5-man instance guides
3. Marking and You: A Guide to Leading an Instance Group
4. Painful Useless Groups: because everyone you know are offline

Reasoning:
1. how many times have we heard some tanks ask the Mage to Polymorph an Undead creature?
2. knowledge is power, even when doing an instance for the first time
3. because people always expect the tank to lead and mark
4. because of #3 and because you might not have a choice

Wondering if I can get a green light on any one of these so I can waste more time at work, and yet be productive at the same time. :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention my experience is mainly in running 5-mans over and over and over again with my Priest g/f, in Arms/Prot and Prot specs.

Warp3dd
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Just wondering if these guides will be useful:
1. All you need to know about Crowd Control
2. Normal 5-man instance guides
3. Marking and You: A Guide to Leading an Instance Group
4. Painful Useless Groups: because everyone you know are offline

Reasoning:
1. how many times have we heard some tanks ask the Mage to Polymorph an Undead creature?
2. knowledge is power, even when doing an instance for the first time
3. because people always expect the tank to lead and mark
4. because of #3 and because you might not have a choice

Wondering if I can get a green light on any one of these so I can waste more time at work, and yet be productive at the same time. :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention my experience is mainly in running 5-mans over and over and over again with my Priest g/f, in Arms/Prot and Prot specs.

Hey "Sadnes",
all of those definaltly have merit...not only for seasoned players, but for all of us. I still forget sometimes who can do what (never played a clothie). Although, im not one of any clout when it comes to these forums... =P

Athan
10-26-2007, 03:48 AM
If I may be so bold, I could offer to write up some sort of raid leadership guide if no one else is working on one.

Thetys
10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
What about a guide about the passive crush immunity? The principle, the stuff needed, all this sort of things.

I would gladly write it myself, but i'm a bit worried by my rusted english :(

Marn
11-05-2007, 01:59 AM
You know what would be nice, actually? Tanking guides for raiding encounters. When I first started raiding, I was petrified the guides on Bosskillers and WoWWiki just weren't detailed enough for a new tank. Hydross is great example. There are just certain things that tanks need to know that the boss guides never share.
I could probably write this kind of guide; what's the method for submitting a guide and would a "How to Tank This Boss" style guide be in real demand?

Edit: additionally what sort of questions would you want to see answered in such a guide? Sort of a layout of what a tank does in this fight, as well as multiple tank perspectives for fights where it's not a one man show? Other miscellaneous tips as well I guess...Hydross is a really good example. It's not just that you could discuss the complexity of the fight itself, but then you have to talk about the gear you need to use regarding resistance and defense/resilience, you need to point out the "demilitarized zone" in the middle where transitions can get messy, probably add a brief note about what offtanks for adds do etc. When I think about it, Hydross is actually a pretty neat encounter and even though it is a resist fight, that makes it more unique than 95% of the other boss fights in the game.

The only problem is that I haven't fought anything in SSC/TK in months; same with Magtheridon and Gruul's Lair, and if I've fought any of these bosses recently it's with gear far beyond what a tank learning the fight would have (except Hydross hahaha). So I'd be working off memory (mine's pretty good but still...) and if anything got changed recently I wouldn't really know about it. I have an amazing working knowledge of everything in Hyjal and Black Temple though...but generally by the time a tank gets there he's usually seasoned enough to know what to do, and bosskillers doesn't leave much out, the fights really are that simple to tank.

I think I'm gonna start working on this.

Ciderhelm
11-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Marn, this would be wonderful. :) Encounter by encounter strategy for tanks is difficult to find writers for.

Marn
11-13-2007, 05:15 AM
How many bosses should I include? Stuff from Karazhan & Gruuls? Or just Magtheridon, SSC, TK, Hyjal and BT?

Bruizer
11-13-2007, 05:25 AM
From a personal perspective, SSC/TK would be nice as we're currently working on FLK for example. :)

What I'd like to get out of a guide like that I guess is;

a) what kind of damage does the boss do in terms of what I should wear? I know I used CombatMonitor extensively for this when first heading into MC a long time ago, switching gear as I learned what kind of incoming damage I got and got more comfortable with my healers.
b) Pulls - any special tricks (such as invisibility potions for Hydross) worthwhile knowing about to ensure a simple pull that rarely goes wrong.
c) Positioning - where to get the boss, whether you need to keep your back to a wall, or avoid standing somewhere due to some boss ability.
d) Any specific boss ability to watch out for, e.g. chugging an Ironshield Potion when phase two starts on Prince, etc.

I think that would cover the basics to take a nub tank through a new boss-fight. The rest sort of gets figured out along the way and together with the rest of the raid as there's always some tweaks to be done due to raid compositions.

Marn
11-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Those are good examples of stuff to include; sometimes I feel like I just tank without paying attention to what I'm actually doing, so if I were prompted to identify these types of things I'd be able to say them without gliding through it. I'm worried that I'm going to end up writing stuff like "he does stuff, hold threat on him while your dps dps'es him and your healers heal [you/the raid/you and the raid]," even though that's a perfectly accurate description of every encounter in the game.