PDA

View Full Version : Aggro vs. Mitigation

Lilie
08-03-2007, 05:34 AM
so maybe you guys can clear something up for me...as I have read a lot of the theory and guides you all are putting out...when does one make the shift in tanking to using an aggro weapon (like Julie's Dagger) as opposed to a one-handed sword or some other type of mitigation weapon...or is it all situationally dependent? Is it that some instances allow for more damage to be dealt by the tank as aggro is not so much an issue? Just trying to catch up to speed...when does one change mitigation for speed? I think that's the question. I'm assuming using a one-handed sword (with an average speed) and sheild is appropriate for tanking in the 50's...

Paruhdox
08-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Things are not like they were in the past. Now most tanking swords have a 1.6 attack speed. Look at the King's Defender, it is fast good dps has hit and tanking stats. I think they have started realizing what tanks were looking for in a weapon around the time of naxxaramas with the Widow's Remorse. Since then every tanking sword has been fast.

Crimsonstorm
08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
While tanking in a high rage situation, an 'aggro weapon' is one with high dps, fast speed (1.6), not a dagger (for good devastates).

A good tanking weapon is like this, and has all its stats used for either defensive purposes (stam, armor, dodge, defense, agi), or efficient threat generating stats (hit rating, weapon skill). The only 'aggro' stats that are found on weapons that are efficient for a tank are hit rating, weapon skill, and agi (because of the dodge it gives). Str/Crit/AP are inefficient ways to increase aggro generation. Block value would obviously rule but isnt found on weapons.

For low rage situations (5 mans), the most effective tanking weapon is the same weapon stats but with a slow speed (2.7). This is because you dont have the rage to heroic strike, so a slow weapon is better for its better devastates.

Lilie
08-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Crimson and paruhdox...that's great help...I'm am starting to track well on this. thanks for the time and help!
lil