PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions

Fleshless
07-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Hey Guys,

First off I would like to say thanks to Cider, once I gave up the ghost on my enh shammy finally, it was his writings and videos on prot that made me roll a warrior. /salute

Ok, first question is about BS weapons and it is in regards to pvp/farming usage. Do you guys think that the haste on Drakefist will outweigh the stats on the Planar Edge for this purpose? Also I've read that haste also drops our overall rage generation. Is this true?

Second question is in regards to spec. Since the DW/Enrage nerf, what are your opinions on a 17/3/41 build? i'm not 70 yet so i'm running 17/3/35 atm and it seems to be working well for me......I still havn't decided whether I will take devestate or not. I guess seeing what its like with a decent slow MH will tell the tale, but if i don't I can fill out cruelty and have an extra point to throw somewhere. 37 is a must in prot imo for efficiency.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, any insights are very welcome.

Flesh

Narshe
07-31-2007, 05:47 AM
If you are gonna be DPSer I think that the best overall you can get is from going maces. The proc on the 1H is awesome, as long as you are able to not pull agro xDDDD. The 2H is in my opinion the best of the three, both for PvP and PvE.
The only thing that keeps my doubts are the mace specialization. Dunno if its worth it comparing with the 5% increased crit chance.

Ciderhelm
07-31-2007, 07:17 AM
17/3/41 wouldn't be bad, but I'd be wary of trying to seriously PVP with it. The problem in my experience was trying to etch in a bit of Crit, and at the time I wasn't fighting Resilience.

There's still more burst damage to be had from a pure Prot/Fury build, and Improved Intercept alone makes a good argument for it. But, 17/3/41 would be far better for handling PVE and tanking as well. It's also possible -- with a bit more work -- to pull off a Sweeping Strikes Shield Slam build. You have to give up Devastate to do it, but it should be verifiably sexy.

Devastate is really up to you. The ability is very good, it always has been. It's not particularly good for PVP, and by the time I went inactive, PVP was all I was enjoying.

Haste is something I don't know about. I really just don't know. I'll bet there's good information at Elitist Jerks, and I imagine we'll get some good information here.

Finally, on the weapons, others have more experience w/ smithing weapons than me. I loved my Bulwark of Kings. :)

Groundchuck
07-31-2007, 07:27 AM
It all depends on what your main job is:

The 1h mace is very very good. The thing about it is that it has a proc instead of stats. Haste rating is good, but is more powerful when stacked with more haste rating. Seems pretty straightforward, but it's true.

The 1h axe is great. It has the right stats in the right amounts. Can't go wrong.

If you have the time/desire/right guild this is what I would suggest:

Make the 1h axe. Upgrade it to the tier 2 version. Once you start hitting the 25-mans collect vortexes, but don't craft the T3 axe. Respec once you have all the mats and go straight for the T3 1h mace.

By that time you should have the stats you need on your gear to make up for losing stats on your MH weapon.

I would say it comes down to what your primary role is though.

You're speccing heavy prot so I'm assuming you tank a lot. If that's the case bag it all and craft the 1h sword. If you DPS more than you tank go with one of the axe/mace.

Stonehoof
07-31-2007, 07:49 AM
When it comes down to the Blacksmith weapons I break down for everyone like this - Just to level the logic and hopefully bring clarity

Unless you are speccing into a weapon spec - any of the two handers or one handers are great equivalents to what you will find in instance for threat generation

If you are going into a weapon spec
Mace is great for high geared PVP - the stun is annoying and can turn the tide of a fight
Axe is great for low geared PVP - the extra crit makes up for the lack of crit from your gear
Sword is great for PVE - Extra attacks + WF + Hamstring spam = Infinate Rage

Alot depends on the spec you are going to choose.
Ciderhelms builds are great for the Prot and Tanking side of things, so a weapon choice would really be your choice, any one would do great, but if you are taking you will most likely be weilding Sun Eater or Kings Defender

If you are going to be in the DPS/OT roll a Hybrid build into Arms/Prot or Fury/Prot would more then likely be better and your weapon choice would really only matter when going into Arms/Prot

Check out my build in the armory - The Armory (http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-talents.xml?r=Skullcrusher&n=Stonehoof) - I choose sword and can fill both MT/OT and DPS spot for my guild as needed, although when they have me doing more MT duties then DPS duties, I specc deep prot. Having sword spec keeps me filled with rage and helps DPS the crap out of things when I need to

Wartorn
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
If you are serious about tanking, I'd have to say get armorsmithing. That BP is just silly good.

If you want to go weaponsmith, I think you will get the best returns with macesmith. For PvP, I hear the mace stun can make the difference in many close matches. For fury, the haste effect is really nice for pumping out damage. Not to mention it would go really well with the Mallet of the Tides in the OH.

Fleshless
07-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the great replies guys.

To answer some questions,

As far as my focus goes it will be heavy pvp. Yes i know, MS is the dominant spec, and I guess I'm mildly brain damaged to like a prot heavy build lol. I want to tank and do it as often as I can, but six months or so back my server got caught up in one of the free transfer or server split deals. Me and some of my friends xfered and ended up on a dead server for the most part. PvP ques are aweful and as soon as I get my BS leveled up I will be making the move to a better horde realm.

I was messing around with a premade on the test server while ago and was reminded how important Deathwish is just for its fear breaking ability, so thats another point toward the fury side.

A point Groundchuck brought up about haste stacked with more haste made me think....What about the validity of a 0/30/31 build SS/Flurry. Flurry was always a Godsend on my shammy, but is it worth giving up 3 pts/6% of 1h weapon damage to have it?

Once again I appreciate the help and open mindedness of this forum....other places this would have descended into a "spec MS nub" threadkiller by now. :)

Flesh

Groundchuck
07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
If you're really serious about PvP spec arms. (particularly if you're going to do arenas) PvP is about burst damage. Prot and Fury simply won't give that to you.

The mace stun is amazing. There's a reason that the 2h mace is the standard.