PDA

View Full Version : Mallet of the Tides VS. TF?

Banansoppa
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey! I have one binding for TF and might do MC rune very week to try to get Thunderfury. My guild has killed Lurker below a few times. However no Mallet of th Tides has yet dropped.

I wonder if someone has stats or some correct numbers about TF VS Mallet of the Tides, or about either

I wonder if the TPS is higher on TF compared to Mallet of the tides on a "normal boss" (with the same gear etc).
I only ask about which one has the higher TPS, this is no discussion about which is the better tanking weapon, thank you =)

Ciderhelm
07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't really have the answer because I don't know all of the changes that have occurred to Thunderfury. I do know that it just isn't what it used to be (though it's certainly not bad).

However, my Threat was significantly higher with The Night Blade (which has been nerfed, unfortunately), and was about the same with King's Defender on high-rage fights.

If Thunderfury is "easy" for you to get -- as in, you can field a group to farm it each week, I'd say go for it anyway. It's a weapon you don't want to pass up... if only to say you have it.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY :) SMILIE??

Ariedan
07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
..Isn't the night blade a level 39 item? I must be mistaken, I guess.

Ciderhelm
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Two items with almost exactly the same name. One is the Night Blade, the other is the Nightblade.

One I'm referring to is a one-handed dagger. Before it was nerfed it acted almost exactly like Bonereaver's Edge and constantly reduced the Armor of your targets. Kind of like a Sunder, except it was a buff to you (that reduced armor of *any* target), not a debuff on a mob.

Was great because you were virtually guaranteed to get high Shield Slams.

Mozman
07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
yeah I remember you having that early in TBC Cider - awesome wep pity about the nerf...

My guild's MT still uses his TF for many fights, even tho he has King's Defender and the other prot tank still hassles me every Saturday to run MC for his other binding...

a truly legendary wep that deserves an upgrade IMO - much like I'd love to see the 'Prismatic' Quel'Serrar, forged in some dragon's lair etc.. man I loved that original quest line

Groundchuck
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
TF is good situationally. Morogrim comes to mind for rounding up murlocs.

That said. You don't need TF. It is no longer the gold standard. Like Cider said though if it's "easy" go for it. It looks cool, and it's fun. (elementium isn't fun though)

PS: I don't have TF. We never got more than one pair of bidings, so everything I say is out of jealously.

Mozman
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
hehe first one we got went to a rogue - thats how nub we were...

nobel
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
hehe first one we got went to a rogue - thats how nub we were...
haha same deal man, first TF we got went to a rogue, i got the second one. Honestly im looking for a replacement and think have found it with my blazefury that i will be creating. I just got the shield that drops from gruul which is just pure pimptastic and with the added hit on the blazefury i can't pass it up.

I have noticed on fights like void reaver that i will always be third tank mybe second depending if i down a rage pot. The TF for bosses fights for pure TPS really isn't on par anymore, its still a damn good tanking weapon and if you can get it, its great for multi.

veneretio
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't really have the answer because I don't know all of the changes that have occurred to Thunderfury. I do know that it just isn't what it used to be (though it's certainly not bad).
Here is what I know regarding TF's current state...
-The proc rate remains unchanged prior to the nerf (around 20%)
-The -25 Nature Resist debuff that "jumps" no longer creates any threat whatsoever

So basically TF doesn't have any additional threat at all on it. It's threat is basically the damage it creates. That being said the proc makes the weapon do around mid to high 80s in dps when you just sit there and auto-attack. Where TF surpasses other weapons is that it procs off of Revenge and Devastate and it's proc ignores armor.

Thus far, I've feeled it out against Blazeguard over the course of a couple months and found it to be much stronger. The reality is that with Shield Slam and Revenge offering a lot of your threat and neither having anything to do with the dps of your weapon, TF ends up out classing most weapon choices.